Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #46
alefor
Edge User

Well, you make a valid point... and truly I dont mean a negative connotation. I am just skeptical of new devices until they ship. My use of the word is a reflection of my skepticism (?cynicism) more than any negative connotation. I want the Adam and the Kno to succeed. I really think that will force other products to improve or be dropped by the wayside. Competition is a wonderful and powerful force. When the Adam ships, I could surely see myself buying one just for fun to see how it is, especially if it has a digitizer as you said. I am happy to buy these devices just for fun.... and I hope they are on the market as promised.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #47
fgruber
Edge User

Where did you read this? Any links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
The Adam is apparently going to have a Wacom digitizer in the PQi screen, enabling the writing of notes on the screen. Not sure about PDF annotation yet.

That there is some bad news for EE, as when people shopping for tablets ask me about pros and cons about the Edge, the main pro is that it's the cheapest decent tool out there for annotating PDFs right now.

Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #48
Snow
Edge User

Quote:
... (and indeed missed the original release date in Feb).
I hate to comment here in this thread but this statement is not entirely correct. Although we did not ship all pre-orders in Feb, we did ship a majority of them.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #49
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
The way most people use the word is to describe something that was hyped up early and had multiple promised release dates missed. Hence the negative connotation of the word, which you guys seem to want to invoke with respect to Adam.
I thought this is exactly what's been happening to the Adam? A good number of members of these forums were excited about the Adam back last winter and early spring, but ended up getting the eDGe instead. Many people still think and hope the Adam will be the next best (better?) thing to the iPad. Wasn't it supposed to ship in the summer, then November, now December? To me, this sounds like a lot of hype with multiple release dates missed It does look like they're about to ship soon, but to date they've been pretty much your definition of vapourware

Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #50
thegreenarrow
Edge User

I'm a fan of how a thread about a potential android 2.2 upgrade for the edge has simply abandoned the idea and begun speaking about vaporware. Prove me wrong people, because if this is a dead horse thread then there is probably zero hope for an update.

Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #51
jsfiller
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenarrow View Post
Prove me wrong people, because if this is a dead horse thread then there is probably zero hope for an update.
How do you figure that? Just because a thread about 2.2 goes on a tangent, how does that demonstrate that there will never be an update to 2.2?

Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #52
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I thought this is exactly what's been happening to the Adam? A good number of members of these forums were excited about the Adam back last winter and early spring, but ended up getting the eDGe instead. Many people still think and hope the Adam will be the next best (better?) thing to the iPad. Wasn't it supposed to ship in the summer, then November, now December? To me, this sounds like a lot of hype with multiple release dates missed It does look like they're about to ship soon, but to date they've been pretty much your definition of vapourware
The Adam has been delayed once (June). The next announcement said late Nov, Dec, or possibly early Jan depending on how long FCC approval took. [[[[[[Again, the Edge was delayed once too. -- retracted]]]]

Last edited by Chubulor; 12-03-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #53
Snow
Edge User

Quote:
The Adam has been delayed once (June). The next announcement said late Nov, Dec, or possibly early Jan depending on how long FCC approval took. Again, the Edge was delayed once too.
Again, not true. We shipped in February, our original ship date.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #54
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
Where did you read this? Any links?
Not an explicit confirmation, but a pretty good indication nonetheless. (Rohan Shravan is the CEO of Notion Ink and it's his blog, so it's not an imposter)

I was told of this by a fellow tablet seeker, but digging into the clues more deeply (Nikola Tesla in Missouri) makes it seem more likely to be a wireless charger, which would be cool too but not as good as a digitizer.

Last edited by Chubulor; 12-03-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 AM   #55
jsfiller
Edge User

FWIW, the Adam has had MANY problems related to developing their product and getting it out in a timely manner. in fact, I saw a detailed timeline on their site that described this.

And also FWIW, let's say a company promises to release something and then still hasn't got it available for customers 6 months later, how would you guys respond? Adam is in this situation and you guys glorify how great Adam will be when it is out. Entourage promises Froyo in the Fall and Fall has barely begun before you guys are screaming how horrible Entourage is and how they hate their customers. At least be consistent!

Old 12-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #56
borisb
Edge User

Ouch! jsfiller makes a point! It goes to show that we all favour our favourite horse to win, doesn't it? (note: I've switched metaphors from beating a dead horse to horse races, lol )

Old 12-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #57
Chubulor
Edge User

Actually when the announcement was made I was telling people that Fall probably meant December 21. It was only after dontpanic confirmed that they will miss that date that I joined the booers on this issue.

Also, Android 2.2 isn't the only issue I've had with the device's support. (I actually like my Edge, but have pretty much given up any hope that it will be upgraded before becoming obsolete.) They release buggy updates that can only be reversed if they permit you to do so, and sometimes there are unpleasant surprises that were intentionally included in updates (disabling debugging on device in the Aug update and possibly another whack at the workaround some developers were using in this one, according to mrspaceman's comment in the other active thread in this forum), and you can bet those won't be allowed to be reversed.

Further, I haven't paid Notion Ink any money yet. So you can understand if I'm more understanding of unfulfilled promises from them.

Last edited by Chubulor; 12-04-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #58
jsfiller
Edge User

Chubulor, just to clarify, you weren't the primary target of my comments. I actually perceive you as a hardcore cynic more than as someone who rants irrationally (which are the ones who really annoy me). Now some might say there is no difference, but as someone who has a fairly strong tendency towards cynicism myself, I think there is an important distinction to be made there. And you often make me laugh.

I could, of course, be wrong, but if I am, I prefer to remain unenlightened. My comments are primarily directed at others here, fairly or unfairly.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #59
thegreenarrow
Edge User

jsfiller,
Without people pushing for the update, this thread being one of the ways to do that, what incentive does entourage have to push the update?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #60
jsfiller
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenarrow View Post
jsfiller,
Without people pushing for the update, this thread being one of the ways to do that, what incentive does entourage have to push the update?
I don't think people have to be pushed to keep products up to date. Simply keeping your product relevant is enough, imo.

Last edited by jsfiller; 12-05-2010 at 08:32 PM.