Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
mrspaceman
Edge User

I've made version 1.0.0.0-alpha available on the google code site (link is in my original post).

have a go and see what you think.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #17
mrspaceman
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrissGC View Post
OK, I've been conceptualising an integrated desk app to manage in a traditional(read old) way books, journals, references, links, bibliographies, etc. The prime use of this system would be an effective project(homework, research, subject or productions) manager that simplifies access to ALL related material with on click.

How I invisage it is as an older style desk at the botom of the screen with 3 or 4 shelves above(minimum height 1" each on the EE screen). Working down the top 1 or 2 sheves are for general books(e.g. novels, magazines, poetry, etc.) With the lower pair for reference books, one for all reference books available with the other shelf split between general reference(dictionary, thesaurus, atlas, etc,) and project binders. The back of the desktop below the botom shelf is where wiget like displays can be placed.

Without going into more detail I had this worked out before I found Calibre or had access to a Android device. Once I used Calibre it did in detail many of the things I had thought of. A couple of things that are likely to be very useful are the saved tag sorting(I looked at this as a way to customise catalogue drawers, like library catalogues 20 or more years ago, with each drawer presenting a result set in the form of "cards".) The second being the visual cover display that equates to the shelves but done in a less resource hungry way.

I planned that each shelf was a display for a predefined search, in effect displaying a data list. I had some concerns about processing on the EE and planned to have a desktop computer generate the lists and just have EE display them. But I may have been overly pessimistic. Anyway each shelf object would have the same responce to user input, namely tap on the horizontal of the shelf changes the sort order(e.g. title, author, etc.). Tap and swipe scrolls the shelf in the swipe direction. Tap on the verticle sections swaps the contents of the shelf with the next group depending on direction and a tap and swipe up or down canges the search criterion(I liken this to categories). There are other combinations but I'm running out of battery.

I'll try to send my simple outline journal doc.
I really like this. I will try to do a mock up of it and then see how easy it would be to implement.

andy.

Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 02:47 AM   #18
mrspaceman
Edge User

I have created my own android aptoide repository.

I use APKtor client (http://apktor.gotoinit.com/) to access it.

my repository is at http://andy.aspellclark.org.uk/AndroidAppRepo/

My apps will be put here whenever they are updated.

andy.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #19
pat.indie
Edge User

Thanks for all the effort.
I tried the app on edge and it works as intended.

Shows filters
shows most book covers

Great job!!

Last edited by pat.indie; 09-18-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: additions

Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #20
mrspaceman
Edge User

Next thing I am going to add is the ability to filter on multiple items via a text box at the top of the list (just like in calibre).

hope to add that in the next week or two.

Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #21
mrspaceman
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrissGC View Post
I also use Calibre but not effectively with the edge (with a Kobo).

I am very interested in integrating the edge as a reader device within Calibre rather than just a mass storage device with the rigamarole needed to add books to edge's library.

Are you only doing the android end of the transaction?

If you are also working the Calibre end, is it possible to access both the internal mem as well as the SDcard seperately (like with the Kobo)?

I was also wondering about using the Calibre content server as a live feed for the edge, I don't have a library set up well enough to experiment with yet.

Anyway I will be very interested in what you and others can do.
SeeYa. FJH...
whoops, sorry I didn't reply before.

I am writing a completely standalone android app which reads in Calibre's metadata. Calibre already writes the ebooks and the metadata (tags, authors, publisher etc.) so all I all need to do is read that data and present it to the user (you

I was going to merge the tags into the eDGe standard library, but this seems to be a bit irrelevant (and entourage have not published any official way to do so), so I am now writing my own library app.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #22
mrspaceman
Edge User

Another version uploaded to my google code website.

(yes, I know it's quite slow at the moment. I will work on speeding it up, but for now I'm trying to get the functionality working).

Last edited by mrspaceman; 10-01-2010 at 02:10 AM.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #23
mrspaceman
Edge User

I've updated calibre to v 0.7.21 and found that david has added more data into the metadata file (which my app didn't handle)

I have just uploaded a new version which works with v0.7.21.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #24
fgruber
Edge User

HI mrspaceman, I installed Bibliotheca-1.0.3.2-beta.apk but when I open the app it just crashes. I get the error THe application BIbliotheca (process uk.org.aspellclark.bibliotheca) has stopped unexpectedly

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks
Fred

Old 10-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #25
mrspaceman
Edge User

Have you used calibre to put books onto your eDGe yet? if not then the metadata.calibre file won't be present (and I guess I need to handle that error !!)

Old 10-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #26
mrspaceman
Edge User

Version 1.2.00 uploaded to my google code webpage.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #27
miklos.klaar
Edge User

Thanks for creating this.

For some reason, the app launches but does not seem to find any books. My environment is:

calibre 0.7.24 - set to main memory
BIbliotheca 1.2.02

I have metadata.calibre present in the root directory of the sdcard. The books are all in different author directories inside the download directory.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by miklos.klaar; 10-24-2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Fix version numbers

Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #28
mrspaceman
Edge User

That screenshot looks like it was done on the desktop. If the SD card is mounted on a desktop computer then it is not accessible to the eDGe, so BIbliotheca will not be able to read any files from the SD card.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #29
mrspaceman
Edge User

I've uploaded a new version (1.2.06) which gives a different error message if the SD card isn't mounted

Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #30
miklos.klaar
Edge User

Thanks for your reply.

The screenshot is just to show the relative position of the data. The eDGe is not mounted when I try to use Bibliotheca. The program launches but does not show any data and using the menu to refresh the metadata does not result in anything.

I will try your latest and report again.

Thank You.