Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #16
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
You cannot purchase refurbished items with these coupons on the sonystyle site.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I traded in an mp3 player and two digital cameras I never use, and bought a pair of headphones, a wireless behind-the-head mp3 player, and a nice radio/alarm clock. I saw Sony bookstore gift cards for $25 each, so you could buy two of those for a $50 trade-in, or you could combine a gift card and a reader cover. I also saw that you can combine trade-ins in one shipment, just printing out a voucher for each trade-in. You can get 10% off many things if you go through the education store too, including readers. Another possible option to get trade-in value would be to get one of the $15 non-contract T Mobile phones at Walmart and trade it for $50.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #18
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
It does not appear that the Sony bookstore cards qualify.

EDIT: Or Playstation items. But I'm thinking of nabbing a lighted cover or two! I have quite a few cell phones eligible for the trade-in.

Last edited by Kralik; 01-08-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #19
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone understand this business model? I've filled out the form and immediately received my ecoupon. How can they give $50 off purchases that are already < $50 without even having received the trade-in? What's to stop people from abusing this and getting stuff such as $40 lighted covers for free without sending anything in at all?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
JP36
Enthusiast
JP36 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 2200, Pocketbook IQ 701, Sony PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Does anyone understand this business model? I've filled out the form and immediately received my ecoupon. How can they give $50 off purchases that are already < $50 without even having received the trade-in? What's to stop people from abusing this and getting stuff such as $40 lighted covers for free without sending anything in at all?
I was wondering about this as well, no real answer here other than their stuff is overpriced/high profit margin.

I think you have to use the full amount, ie you can't use a $50 off on a $30 product, at least I think I read something to that effect.

Last edited by JP36; 01-08-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Clarity.
JP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #21
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP36 View Post
I think you have to use the full amount, ie you can't use a $50 off on a $30 product, at least I think I read something to that effect.
But you can! I have tried it an end up with a cost of $0.00 and shipping of $5.00. Total cost: $5. Haven't completed a checkout yet though, still deciding...
Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #22
BlueJean
Ooh, magnets!
BlueJean began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Hmpf. Why do these trade-in programs never work outside the US? I'd love to give some of my old electronics to Sony (Sony Europe, that is), but apparently they won't include other countries any time soon.
BlueJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
Kralik
Guru

An update: I went ahead and ordered a nice set of speakers + subwoofer. Normally $49.99, but I paid only for shipping ($7.50). Should ship tomorrow, but I'm yet to ship my trade-in cell.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #24
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I think the Sony business model is living in the past, back when Japanese tech ruled the world and they were the leader in quality electronics. I mean, looking around their website for something to trade in for, I still saw cassette Walkman players and boomboxes, and I thought of trading for a new laptop, but even their netbook is $450. And after the $140 wifi Kindle, their only wifi model cost twice as much. Then I just read how they declared they were going to be the second-largest seller of tablets by 2012--even though they have nothing yet.

As for the trusting on sending in electronics, I think they're using the recycling deal as a way to entice buyers to buy high-ticket items like tv's or home theatre systems or fancy cameras, and they limit their possible losses by limiting the immediate e-coupon value and giving value higher than that as a gift card sent later, after they actually receive the trade-in. It's like a supermarket selling loss leader milk or something--some people will just buy the milk, but they're counting on enough people being tempted to buy more expensive stuff at the same time.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #25
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I'm in for a cover. I traded an old mp3 player, got $30 credit and applied it to the cover. Have to pay $5 shipping, but what a deal!
Might trade the phone now, if I decide what to get instead....
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #26
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
They sent the coupon that fast? I thought it would take until they received whatever you sent. I put in a Razr phone I bought at Big Lots for $25 and they said I'd get $50. Didn't complete it but I might now. Can you use the coupon at a Sony store or just online?
Argh! I put in my Blackberry Curve, in excellent condition, and they promised me $9. That was before, maybe I should try again and see what I'll get.... I put in the Playstation 3 and it said $87.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #27
lego1
lego1 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 350
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the ecertificate in your email account? I filled the form out this morning but have not heard anything from sonystyle yet.

Thanks, Jen
lego1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #28
JP36
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego1 View Post
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the ecertificate in your email account? I filled the form out this morning but have not heard anything from sonystyle yet.

Thanks, Jen
The first one I did last week took a couple of days, the ones I did over the weekend/end of the week came in a few minutes.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #29
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I got the voucher in email in less than 30 minutes yesterday morning.
The deal got posted on Fatwallet and the response brought the site down yesterday afternoon. Sony might pull the promotion, so I'm waiting to send in my mp3 player. They state pretty clearly if you send it, you can't change your mind, but they didn't say they couldn't change theirs about how much it's worth.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
JP36
Enthusiast

The thing there is if the ecoupon they show you you'll get isn't worth sending it in don't do it, as you'll only get a gift card IF it exceeds the minimum value of the ecoupon as I understand it.

So if they value your device at $20 and they offered you a $30 ecoupon you'll get no sony giftcard, now if they try to 'deduct' the difference if it doesn't meet their 'standards' I don't know, there is nothing mentioned I could find about that or if the item arrives DOA when you state it worked. I don't get how that works offering ecoupons for immediate use when they haven't verified your items meet their 'must work' condition to get that minimum value. The terms listed don't mention the ecoupons at all.