Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
New Owner With a Couple Quick Questions.

Well, hopefully quick...

I opened up a new PRS-650 Christmas morning and, so far, I'm thrilled with it (My first ereader as well).

A couple of questions, though:

1) Cases: I'm looking at the ones made by Sony. The basic black, and the black with the attached reading light. What is everyone's opinion on these? What material are they made of?

My main reason for a case is to add thickness to the reader. I must be the minority, but I don't always find small and light better .

How is the reading light on the case that has it? I've noticed that the screen does start to glare if in direct (and I mean head-on-direct) light, so I'm curious how this reading light performs.

2) Book Covers: I purchased my first ebook via Kobo. I'll be doing most of shopping with them as their selection is much better (for Canada at least) than Sony.

However, I'm just getting a generic book cover copied over to the reader when using ADE OR Caliber with updated meta-data. I realize I can fix this manually easily enough for every current and future ebook, but I wonder if I'm missing something stupid here??

Thanks!

Shane
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Hi Shane, welcome to MR.
You're gonna LOVE your new Reader!
As far as your questions go:
1) I would say that you belong to the VAST majority. Cases are an absolute necessity on your reader. As far as the Sony brand cases go, I find them to be well made and nicely fitting. I don't have the one with the built in light, but my mom does, and she swears by it.
Because your Reader has a screen, there will be some level of glare as light is reflected off of it. Simply adjusting the angle at which you hold your Reader will most likely deflect the glare until doing so becomes second nature to you.
2) I like the Kobo store much better than the Sony Store as well. As far as I understand it, (and no doubt if I'm wrong someone will be by to correct me) the ebook version does not necessarily have the rights to the cover image. The publisher just generates a generic one, assumes that that's acceptable and sells it to you.

Just one more tip for you: Learn Calibre. Calibre is the single most important piece of software for your Reader. Don't try to use the Sony software at the same time as Calibre either, they don't play nicely. (Actually, I don't use the Sony software at all.)

Merry Christmas and enjoy!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
ShaneR
Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments and welcome, AC

It looks like the Sony cases are hard to find. Sony has them back ordered. Ah well, no rush.

Lots to learn about ebooks, ereaders, and their tech. Glad I found this site
Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
Pno
Pno began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Hi Shane, welcome to MR.
You're gonna LOVE your new Reader!
As far as your questions go:
1) I would say that you belong to the VAST majority. Cases are an absolute necessity on your reader. As far as the Sony brand cases go, I find them to be well made and nicely fitting. I don't have the one with the built in light, but my mom does, and she swears by it.

I am a new owner to, and I am wondering why you think cases are an 'absolute necessity'? Could you expand on that?
Pno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Its mainly to protect the screen which is quite brittle and would be quite easy to break if you had the reader in a bag with say your keys or other objects in it.
The cost to replace the screen would be almost as much as getting a new reader so getting a case of some sort is essential for the safeguard of our beloved readers
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
ander111
ander111 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
I have to chime in here. I bought one of the "official" Sony cases (without light) for my PRS-650, and was quite disappointed at what I got for my $30 (here in Canada—less, no doubt, in the States): Essentially, two pieces of stamped vinyl with two little plastic pegs to go in the Reader's holes. For that kind of dough, I expected something a lot more substantial. Isn't the idea to make you feel like you're holding a hardcover book? That sure didn't do it.

I took it back, and for the same dough, I've ordered this cover, which looks much better-made... I haven't received it yet, but when I do, I'll let you know.
ander111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Pno, whilst the readers do have a metal exterior, the screen is glass and therefore fragile. A case is a must (in most people's opinions) to protect the screen. There are enough of options out there (the Sony covers, Tuf-Luv, etc) to suit most tastes.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
ShaneR
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ander111 View Post
I took it back, and for the same dough, I've ordered this cover, which looks much better-made... I haven't received it yet, but when I do, I'll let you know.
I was looking at that one as well. That and the Sony were the only ones that I was able to find.

Be sure to let us know how you like it once you've received the cover. I wasn't able to find out much about the company or the cover in my initial searches.

As for covers, the screen is certainly a concern, but comfort is more of an issue for me. I find the reader far too thin and light for my hands (which I expected) and becomes uncomfortable to hold after a little while. I'm hoping a cover will add enough thickness to give it more of a paper book feel.

Last edited by ShaneR; 12-28-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneR View Post
... 1) Cases: I'm looking at the ones made by Sony. The basic black, and the black with the attached reading light. What is everyone's opinion on these? What material are they made of? ...
I have the Sony PRS-650 cover with light and think they are both fine. The cover looks smart, seems well designed, feels comfortable when carrying the reader and is perfectly functional. My cover (with single AAA battery installed) weighs 156 grams. The reader weighs 206 grams, so reader plus cover weighs 362 grams.

Approximately 2/3 of the right-hand side of the front appears to be covered with a synthetic leather-like material. The remainder of the front, the spine and all of the back are covered with a single piece of synthetic non-slip matt material that facilitates holding the reader when the cover when closed, and resting the reader on something, so it doesn't slide off, when reading with the cover open. The entire inside surface of the cover appears to be covered with the same non-slip material.

Both the front and rear halves of the cover seem to contain weak magnets, so the back half remains attached to the rear of the metal body of the reader, unless they are prised apart and the front cover remains closed when you want it to be.

The light contains 3-LEDs and there is a 2-position slide switch that enables you to control the intensity of the light. When you find that toggling the switch between the two positions no longer changes the intensity of the light, it's time to change the battery.

If you are unsure where files are located, then you might find this helpful:

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-23-2011 at 10:35 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I have yet to find a cover in store that I feel is protective enough for my device. I think that they make the covers flimsy so, although you keep your device in a case, you are still likely to break it with a drop. I broke my old 505 just that way. It was all secure in its case and a drop destroyed the screen when it landed flat on its back.

These days I prefer to use the At-A-Glance planner cover available at quite a few retailers with my own additions. It has 1/8" thick Plexiglas with a layer of foam padding on top of that slid into each side so the foam is toward the reader. I then attach the reader to the back cover suing Command picture hanging strips (these are the same strips that many cover manufacturers use under different name such as 'click strips'). The cover zips all the way around to keep debris out while the padding should protect well against drops and the plexi will protect the screen against pressure spots and flexing. This does leave quite a bit of room around the 650 where as it was perfect when I had my nook. I recently downgraded to a smaller planner cover but I still need to reinforce the covers with plexi. I have it padded with the neoprene sleeve from one of my kids 300s double sided taped inside the front cover (with the Reader logo showing of course).

If anyone wants, I will see about taking pics later.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
I have yet to find a cover in store that I feel is protective enough for my device. I think that they make the covers flimsy so, although you keep your device in a case, you are still likely to break it with a drop. I broke my old 505 just that way. It was all secure in its case and a drop destroyed the screen when it landed flat on its back.

These days I prefer to use the At-A-Glance planner cover available at quite a few retailers with my own additions. It has 1/8" thick Plexiglas with a layer of foam padding on top of that slid into each side so the foam is toward the reader. I then attach the reader to the back cover suing Command picture hanging strips (these are the same strips that many cover manufacturers use under different name such as 'click strips'). The cover zips all the way around to keep debris out while the padding should protect well against drops and the plexi will protect the screen against pressure spots and flexing. This does leave quite a bit of room around the 650 where as it was perfect when I had my nook. I recently downgraded to a smaller planner cover but I still need to reinforce the covers with plexi. I have it padded with the neoprene sleeve from one of my kids 300s double sided taped inside the front cover (with the Reader logo showing of course).

The cover sounds great. I'll check it out.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post

I agree. Here are some Pics of my case https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11420 .

I've dropped my reader several times, and it's spent a lot of time being poked by pointy bits in my briefcase and Xrayed by the TSA. A soft leather case feels nice while reading, and provides a little cushioning. Actual protection, on the other hand, needs to come from a tough rigid plastic.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
cko1x
cko1x doesn't littercko1x doesn't litter

Device: Sony Daily Reader PRS950
I have a PRS-950 and the lighted Sony case. It is a nice setup but not much protection and I feel it may pop open unexpectedly. I need the light because I sometimes read in low light situations. I am looking at a BookArmor case for more protection but it has no light. I'd also like to see some way of IDing the case and a slot or two for memory cards because I read things that might not be approprate for some viewers and the security code in the reader is a pain to use. Just FYI.
cko1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
The cover sounds great. I'll check it out.
I forgot to add that I also removed the metal part of the zipper from the pocket inside as well as the velcro tab that is meant to hold cards in.

Here are some pics when I had my nook in it before I begged for forgiveness for forsaking Sony and got my 650. They are crappy cell phone pics but you can see the foam padding (which I actually took from the Nook packaging).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	63709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	63710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0673.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	63711  
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I had a PRS-600 with the Case Logic case. Great protection (I travel internationally extensively).

I now have a PRS-650, I got the Sony zipper case. It is nice, but I don't like having to pieces when I am reading. When I am commuting on the sbuway, it is something to drop. On a plane, it is something to leave behind.

I wish Case Logic would make a dedicated 650 case. The 650 will fit in the Case Logic case, but it will move around a bit. I could cut some firm foam pieces to make it fit tighter, and may do that.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote