Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #61
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggins View Post
Could you provide logs of unsuccessful install?
Logs can be saved using "Android System Info" utility (available on market).

I would if I could. My, and many other tablets don't have access to the "market". Do you, or anyone, have any idea where else I could get this utility?

CoolReader requires additional permissions specified in package manifest.
WAKE_LOCK - to extend backlight timeout
WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - to access SD card
Thanks for the info about the permissions provision. I didn't know that existed but it sounds like a good idea. As an aside, the Cruz uses "Astro" as its file manager/installer.

Thanks and regards - John

P.S. Congratulations! It sounds like you are in the home stretch of a blockbuster product.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #62
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
I can add startup action setting:
- open last book
- open recent books list
- open last folder
- open root folder

Would it be enough?
Personally, if I exit while inside a book I would like it to open with a return to the book where I left off. If I back out of the book and exit from inside the file listing I would like it to return to the file listing on open.
Just always returning to the last book accessed was sometimes a pain.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #63
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Key actions are configurable insettings dialog. Just choose Exit action for Back key.
Maybe I should ask if there is a proper way to actually close a book. It looks as if the reader always is in a state of "book is open".
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #64
Buggins
Zealot
Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Update 3.0.41-3 uploaded on SourceForge and on Market

- fixed HTML, EPUB, CHM pages external CSS link
- fixed ZIP parallel streams reading error
- fixed CSS bugs with page breaks and letter spacing
- fixed Toggle Fullscreen action
- added more small font sizes
- fixed big font size limit

Last edited by Buggins; 01-17-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Buggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #65
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Hi! I have just started using Cool Reader (after a tip from Dopedangel), and I really like it. But there is one problem: I use it to read proof on my work (I'm a movie/television subtitler), and some of the lines are Italics. For instance when somebody's speaking through the phone or there's a voice over (think "Mike Hammer": "I knew there was something wrong with the chick, but with legs like that...") It seems that Italics are converted into standard non-italics in the reader.

Until now I have been using the Nook Color's internal reader, and that does not change the italics. But it does not support the new font I have found either. This weekend I started using a TTF font called DPCustomMono2 when I discovered that it actually makes it easier to spot mistakes because it's harder to read. I don't know the psychology behind it, but a recent study has found that proof reading with normal fonts on an eReader is too light on the eyes, which makes it easier for errors to sneek by.

I know it's not because of the TTF I'm using, because with Trebuchet (which is built in and gives me italics in the built-in Barnes & Noble reader) I still don't get italics in Cool Reader.

So if it was possible to leave italics untouched the Cool Reader would be perfect for me! Any chance of that? Or is that perhaps already possible with some setting I haven't found yet? Thanks in advance! (Yeah, I'm an optimistic bugger...)
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #66
Buggins
Zealot
Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
Hi! I have just started using Cool Reader (after a tip from Dopedangel), and I really like it. But there is one problem: I use it to read proof on my work (I'm a movie/television subtitler), and some of the lines are Italics. For instance when somebody's speaking through the phone or there's a voice over (think "Mike Hammer": "I knew there was something wrong with the chick, but with legs like that...") It seems that Italics are converted into standard non-italics in the reader.

Until now I have been using the Nook Color's internal reader, and that does not change the italics. But it does not support the new font I have found either. This weekend I started using a TTF font called DPCustomMono2 when I discovered that it actually makes it easier to spot mistakes because it's harder to read. I don't know the psychology behind it, but a recent study has found that proof reading with normal fonts on an eReader is too light on the eyes, which makes it easier for errors to sneek by.

I know it's not because of the TTF I'm using, because with Trebuchet (which is built in and gives me italics in the built-in Barnes & Noble reader) I still don't get italics in Cool Reader.

So if it was possible to leave italics untouched the Cool Reader would be perfect for me! Any chance of that? Or is that perhaps already possible with some setting I haven't found yet? Thanks in advance! (Yeah, I'm an optimistic bugger...)
There are two possible reasons of missing italics:
1) Bug in CSS processing -- fixed in cr3.0.41-3 build I've uploaded today
2) Missing italic file for font (e.g. missing trebucit.ttf) -- can be fixed by putting additional font files to SD card (e.g. to SD/fonts)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #67
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Thanks a lot for answering so fast! I tried to start by downloading the new version, but suddenly the letters are so small I can't read. And choosing 60 point doesn't help either. I tried to reboot, but that didn't help. Has a error in some of the font handling possibly crept in? Sorry if the question is dumb, I couldn't code myself out of a brown paper bag!

If you would be so kind, the font I use is here:
http://www.pgdp.net/c/faq/font_sample.php

Last edited by Mastiff; 01-17-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #68
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Has a error in some of the font handling possibly crept in?
Today's CoolReader 3 download from The Market works OK on my HTC Desire.

Quote:
FWIW, when I followed your link the only font offered for download was DPCustomMono2.ttf, which is just a single base font. There was no italic or bold versions of the font offered for download. Without an italic version of the font I do not think there is a way for CR3 to display italics?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #69
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

OK, thanks for checking. Weird stuff, since Word can show italics in that font without any problems. Is that becuse there are differences between how Android draws fonts and how Windows does it? I know naathing about this. (Think Manuel in "Fawlty Towers").
Old 01-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #70
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
OK, thanks for checking. Weird stuff, since Word can show italics in that font without any problems. Is that becuse there are differences between how Android draws fonts and how Windows does it? I know naathing about this. (Think Manuel in "Fawlty Towers").
I am no font expert either, but from just what you are saying it is apparently possible for a word processor to italicize a font that has no italic set installed.

Last edited by Dave_S; 01-17-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: TYPO
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #71
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Understood. Then I'll have to solve this in another way. But I still have the problem with very small letters, also with other fonts, with this new version. I have not changed anything in the menus, I only upgraded.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #72
sapphiresilver
Connoisseur
sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Amazon Oasis 2, Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro
It now seems to read the CSS in my books. Yay, now I don't have to use Aldiko. This is great.
sapphiresilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #73
Carl314
Enthusiast
Carl314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Motorola Droid with Aldiko
Reading the css within an epub is a very welcome addition. A few issues:

1. It does not appear to support bold as a css class.
2. Likewise, when I use css to define the indent to 0, it still puts an indent in there.
3. Does Cool Reader support lines (<hr />) and boxes? If not, any plans to?

Cheers, Carl.
Carl314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 AM   #74
Buggins
Zealot

New version 3.0.41-5 uploaded to Market and SourceForge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl314 View Post
Reading the css within an epub is a very welcome addition. A few issues:

1. It does not appear to support bold as a css class.
2. Likewise, when I use css to define the indent to 0, it still puts an indent in there.
3. Does Cool Reader support lines (<hr />) and boxes? If not, any plans to?

Cheers, Carl.
It should support all features described above. If not, it's a bug.
Could you send me example with wrong formatting?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:17 AM   #75
Buggins
Zealot

Quote:
It's necessary to implement italicise transform feature for CoolReader font engine in order to allow showing italics w/o italic font file.
It would take several days, so this feature is postponed.

Tags
cool reader, fb2 epub rtf chm fbreader