Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Dena
Dena began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
What the heck?

Hey everyone -

I've been reading your helpful threads since purchasing my KOBO a month ago and have found lots of great info. So far, my experience with the KOBO has been positive, but yesterday I noticed a few things that annoyed me:

1. A book I purchased and finished reading appeared twice on my KOBO. Once read and once unread. I hooked it up to the KOBO desktop to sync and now it appears once, but only as unread.

2. Another book I purchased and was about 25% into suddenly reverted back to unread and disappeared from my 'I'm reading' list, settling back into my Books library.

3. Books I never started reading are in my 'I'm reading' list. It's like as soon as I download and transfer an ePub to my KOBO, it automatically shows it as being in progress.

There are a couple of other details that I won't burden y'all with. But if anyone has any idea what might be wrong with the device or what I might be doing wrong, please feel free to tell me.

I'm ticked that I have to "finish" that book again and that my other in-progress read disappeared from my 'I'm reading' list.

Thanks, all and happy reading!
Dena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead,Dena.

someone should step in soon with suggestions.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Dena

Thanks, DesertGrandma
Old 09-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Hey everyone -

I've been reading your helpful threads since purchasing my KOBO a month ago and have found lots of great info. So far, my experience with the KOBO has been positive, but yesterday I noticed a few things that annoyed me:

1. A book I purchased and finished reading appeared twice on my KOBO. Once read and once unread. I hooked it up to the KOBO desktop to sync and now it appears once, but only as unread.

2. Another book I purchased and was about 25% into suddenly reverted back to unread and disappeared from my 'I'm reading' list, settling back into my Books library.

3. Books I never started reading are in my 'I'm reading' list. It's like as soon as I download and transfer an ePub to my KOBO, it automatically shows it as being in progress.

There are a couple of other details that I won't burden y'all with. But if anyone has any idea what might be wrong with the device or what I might be doing wrong, please feel free to tell me.

I'm ticked that I have to "finish" that book again and that my other in-progress read disappeared from my 'I'm reading' list.

Thanks, all and happy reading!
Hi Dena,

What version of the desktop app are you using? There was an update recently, maybe it's just that you're using the old one.

Have you tried using Calibre? That's what I use and it works perfectly. No more books sitting in the "I'm Reading" page unless you want them there. It's perfect for managing all your e-books.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Dena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Hi Dena,

What version of the desktop app are you using? There was an update recently, maybe it's just that you're using the old one.

Have you tried using Calibre? That's what I use and it works perfectly. No more books sitting in the "I'm Reading" page unless you want them there. It's perfect for managing all your e-books.

Hi Pookey! I've heard about Calibre, but since I started off with ADE, I just stuck with it. But I'm taking your advice and just downloaded Calibre.

I am running KOBO 1.6 desktop app. Is that bad?

Thanks, Pookey
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Hi Pookey! I've heard about Calibre, but since I started off with ADE, I just stuck with it. But I'm taking your advice and just downloaded Calibre.

I am running KOBO 1.6 desktop app. Is that bad?

Thanks, Pookey
I have no idea what the newest desktop app version is (at work right now) , but seriously, if you like it, use Calibre.

Hopefully someone will see this and let us both know which version the new desktop app is

Edit...I forgot to say Welcome to MobileRead Dena!!!
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Dena

Thanks, Pooks!

Looks like the new app rolled out in early September and I know I bought my KOBO before that.

You can download it here, but I don't think there's any way to tell what version it is until you've installed it and can check the properties:

http://www.kobobooks.com/desktoppromo

There's also a nice 2 dollar discount on the purchase of one of three books.

I'm gonna go home and figure out the Calibre tonight. I downloaded it here at work, but it doesn't show book covers like the KOBO app does. Hmmm...
Old 09-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually, once you DO have the new version installed there is an icon on it to show the version.

So, if you DON'T see the "i" icon in the bottom left (on the line labelled View) you don't have the newer version.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I don't Kobo, Dena, so I can't help you over the teething problems. Others here will do that. Just calling by to thank you for your new company and to offer best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Sounds like the Kobo desktop and/or ADE could be the culprit.

It is worth trying out Calibre. It will see your connected Kobo and allow you to transfer files accross, either DRM'ed ePUB or non DRM'ed ebooks that Calibre will convert to ePUB if necessary.

One thing I have noticed though. If your ebook is a PDF, Calibre will not convert to ePUB and send that ebook to the Kobo. It will send the PDF directly. Best to convert to ePUB before transferring the ebook to ensure the ePUB is the one transferred.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote