Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Just Got my Kindle Today - Power Questions

1. Should I turn it "off" every night or just put it to "sleep".

2. Do most people just leave wireless on all the time?
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Putting it to sleep will be fine, I really only turn mine off when I have to on a plane. I also only turn the wireless on when I'm ready to download something. Keeping the wireless off will allow you to recharge the Kindle less often.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Putting it to sleep will be fine, I really only turn mine off when I have to on a plane. I also only turn the wireless on when I'm ready to download something. Keeping the wireless off will allow you to recharge the Kindle less often.
Thanks. If I subscribe to a newspaper or magazine and have wireless off when it is distributed, will Kindle then automatically download it when I turn wireless on?
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneaber View Post
Thanks. If I subscribe to a newspaper or magazine and have wireless off when it is distributed, will Kindle then automatically download it when I turn wireless on?
Yes, it should.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneaber View Post
1. Should I turn it "off" every night or just put it to "sleep".

2. Do most people just leave wireless on all the time?
I have yet to actually turn my Kindle 2 off and I have had it since they first came out...

I leave wireless off unless I need to send something to the Kindle...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
tautologico
tautologico is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 International
Never turn mine off too, and I read in a blog dedicated to the Kindle that it's better that way. I also only turn wireless on when I need to download something, the battery runs out much faster with wireless on.
tautologico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I leave wireless off, simply because on other devices (iPhone) I know wireless can chew a lot of power and I don't see the Kindle being an exception.

I just put it to sleep at night, they have pretty god battery life overall!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unless you're waiting to receive something, there's no point whatsoever in leaving the wireless turned on. It's only a matter of moments to switch it on when you need it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:47 AM   #9
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unless you're waiting to receive something, there's no point whatsoever in leaving the wireless turned on. It's only a matter of moments to switch it on when you need it.
If you Kindle read books on multiple devices (iPod, PC, Kindle) then Whispernet should synchronise what page you are up to. So that is one reason to leave it on. I don't use this feature but my Kindle battery hasn't got anywhere near flat yet so I see no reason to turn Whispernet off.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
You can test it by charging, then leaving Whispernet on and see how long before you have to charge again. Then do it with it off except when needed, and see.

My experience is that with it turned on, battery only lasts 2-3 days. With it off most of the time, I only have to recharge every 7-8 or even more days. YMMV.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Kat89447
Kat89447 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Most people just let it go to sleep and it can "sleep" for a week or more. I only turn wispernet on to download or search and then turn it off after I receive my download. The other thing you need to know is that the Kindle battery is not like a cell battery. You don't want to fully discharge it before you charge. I charge mine when it gets just below 50% but you should definately charge it before it gets below 20%.
Kat89447 is offline   Reply With Quote