Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Nivek
Nivek began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Transfering eBook Library to a new PC

I'd like to be able to move the content of my eBook Library on the old XP machine to the new Win 7 machine. I'd also like to be able to transfer the collections that I've already set-up.

I could copy the LRF and the EPUB files but then I'd lose the collections that I've set-up. I guess that Sony must have an XML file somewhere that defines the layout of the library.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
/Kevin
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Make sure you've got the latest eBook Library and Reader firmware. Available here http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel...IRECTOR=DRIVER
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Nivek
Nivek began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Make sure you've got the latest eBook Library and Reader firmware. Available here http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel...IRECTOR=DRIVER
Yes I do. So now how do I get the library and the collections moved from my XP machine to my new Windows 7 machine?

/Kevin
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Yes I do. So now how do I get the library and the collections moved from my XP machine to my new Windows 7 machine?

/Kevin
What I would try would be to copy the My Books folder from your XP machine to your Win 7 machine. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell ya.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
How do I backup my Library?
Please note that just copying files to the new PC won't add them to the library inside EBL - you'll have to do that manually.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #6
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What I would try would be to copy the My Books folder from your XP machine to your Win 7 machine. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell ya.

BOb
You'll probably need the following stuff too:
"c:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony Corporation\eBook Library"

Notice that the folder 'Local Settings' is a hidden folder and that I haven't tried if this really works. It doesn't hurt to try so long you haven't added anything new to your Sony Ebook Library.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
There was a good discussion of this migration topic back when the previous version of the Sony software came out, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34764

To recap the reader file hiding places (All these references presume you have WinXP and have used the Tools tab > Folder Options > View tab to turn on "Show hidden files and folders"):

The default place for books (I think it's the default):
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\My Documents\My Books\eBooks

There is the program itself, with all it's unique identifier certificates, in:
C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader

Then there is the database in:
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony Corporation\eBook Library\Database
Some LRFs live in this directory as well.

Then there is the registration/setup stuff in:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Marlin and
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\kinoma
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote