Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Any better way to open multiple files?

For whatever reason, Calibre doesn't let me open multiple files at the same time. I have to click to open each file.

Unfortunately, Calibre also has the newly-opened filed open to the front. So I have to click on one file, click back into Calibre, click on the next file, click back into Calibre, click on the next file...

If there's some way to keep newly-opened files in the background, should I look for a Calibre setting (haven't found one) or a reading app setting (haven't found on in Clearview)?

Thanks!
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
For whatever reason, Calibre doesn't let me open multiple files at the same time. I have to click to open each file.
Works for me on multiple books, note I always use View specific format and select the format I want (i.e. DOCX, or EPUB or AZW3 etc), so I can't say it works with the normal View whatever format calibre thinks I want

Quote:
Unfortunately, Calibre also has the newly-opened filed open to the front. So I have to click on one file, click back into Calibre, click on the next file, click back into Calibre, click on the next file...

If there's some way to keep newly-opened files in the background, should I look for a Calibre setting (haven't found one) or a reading app setting (haven't found on in Clearview)?
That the last selected book comes up on top is a probably an operating system feature.

Maybe you could pre-arrange the books in calibre so that they're ordered in the reverse order you want to read them -- so the last book in the selection list is one you want to read first.

BR

Windows 10 Pro 1703, Calibre 3.15
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That wouldn't get around the problem of having to click back into Calibre, after opning each book, to open the next book.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On Windows there's an option in the ebook-viewer Preferences->Miscellaneous to allow multiple instances, if they are allowed then the books will opened en-masse and be put into what amounts to a LIFO stack. So as you close the book at the top of the stack then next comes into view.

I have no idea if it will work that way on a Mac. In fact I can't guarantee that one of the several Windows enhancement gadgets I run isn't enabling this.

BR
Old 01-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
That wouldn't get around the problem of having to click back into Calibre, after opning each book, to open the next book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
On Windows there's an option in the ebook-viewer Preferences->Miscellaneous to allow multiple instances, if they are allowed then the books will opened en-masse and be put into what amounts to a LIFO stack. So as you close the book at the top of the stack then next comes into view.

I have no idea if it will work that way on a Mac. In fact I can't guarantee that one of the several Windows enhancement gadgets I run isn't enabling this.

BR
When I looked at the preferences for calibre's ebook-viewer in a Mac OS X High Sierra VM, the checkmark by "Allow only a single book to be viewed at a time" was not checked. I selected and opened 3 books and that worked as expected. When I closed a book, the next book did not pop into view but I could see it on the desktop and click to switch.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
MarjaE
Guru

I use Clearview instead of Calibre's ebook viewer. I find it easier to read, and easier to page through, and I don't get migraines from the default settings. I used to use Scarlett, but it couldn't read certain epubs, and it couldn't search certain others.

I kinda assumed most users would use their preferred ebook and/or pdf viewers.

And Clearview has no trouble with multiple books. It's just Calibre won't let me open multiple books without clicking through an extra menu, which may not be available if my mouse isn't.

Last edited by MarjaE; 02-02-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@MarjaE - On Windows I use the PDF-XChange viewer for PDFs, I have it configured to open multiple files, each one opened is presented in a tab, as in a browser's tabs.

If I select four books in calibre and then use the View specific format option to view the PDF formats then that's what I get... each of the four books is opened in a separate tab in PDF-Xchange. They appear in the same left-to-right order as the books appear in the book list, with last one (right most) as the current tab.

So... it looks like your situation might be specific to OSX. How does Clearview present multiple open books... as artefacts on the desktop, or as tabs or similar within its own window.

Aside : be nice if a future version of the calibre ebook-viewer presented multiple open books as a separate tabs.

BR
Old 02-04-2018, 04:12 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Aside : be nice if a future version of the calibre ebook-viewer presented multiple open books as a separate tabs.
Please make that an option, if such a change is made! Personally I prefer to have separate windows that I can arrange side by side.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:30 AM   #9
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
@MarjaEAside : be nice if a future version of the calibre ebook-viewer presented multiple open books as a separate tabs.BR
+1 Yes, this would be a nice extension.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:55 AM   #10
asllearner
Enthusiast
asllearner began at the beginning.

The non single book option no longer seems to be working for me on a mac *when opening the file from the finder*...within calibre I seem to be okay. I have tried turning the option on and off, but no matter what only one instance of the ebook viewer appears. Using the latest calibre and mac version. Any way to make that work?
asllearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:44 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Did it ever work on macOS. macOS is a bit of a special snowflake, it needs dedicated code for handling for these kinds of things.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #12
asllearner
Enthusiast
asllearner began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Did it ever work on macOS. macOS is a bit of a special snowflake, it needs dedicated code for handling for these kinds of things.
recently I got a new computer, upgraded, reinstalled, etc.; when opening quite a few epub from Finder, noticed the behavior -- maybe it was always there and I just never noticed...oh well. Macs, while beautiful "snowflakes" in many respect, are full of such little annoyances (do so wish calibre/mac could do keyboard shortcuts, too)...
asllearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open a ticket for it and I will look into it the next time I am on a mac.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote