Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Combined Fixed/Reflowable Epub?

Probably a dumb question, but I have to ask. Though I haven't tried it yet, I've read that you can use CSS styles to target screens of various widths, just like websites. I think the term is "break points."

Therefore, would it be possible to create an epub that is functionally a fixed layout on bigger devices (e.g. Kindle and iPad) but breaks down into a reflowable epub on smaller devices?

I'm guessing the answer is no, because, if it could be done, it would probably be all the rage - unless it's just really hard to do.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:29 AM   #2
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Something was in EPUB Multiple Rendition:

http://www.idpf.org/epub/renditions/multiple/

But I think only readium has some support on this.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:30 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
Probably a dumb question, but I have to ask. Though I haven't tried it yet, I've read that you can use CSS styles to target screens of various widths, just like websites.
I'm guessing you're looking for media queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
I think the term is "break points."
AFAIK, break points are inserted into programs to simplify debugging.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:17 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Support for ePub 3 is very poor. Don't expect it to work in many programs/apps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:22 AM   #5
IronChaim
Do-er, All of the Things
IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Support for ePub 3 is very poor. Don't expect it to work in many programs/apps.
I'd argue that where EPUB3 support is poor, it's for these types of cases; just because you "can" do something less common doesn't mean there are Readers out there that will support it. Several of EPUB3 Readers support Fixed Layout, AST, etc. But when you start packing your EPUB with everything and anything - that's where it breaks down.

I've heard of cases for switching between Fixed Layout and Reflowable for specific areas of content in a book - but am not clear why you would want to do that the for SAME section of content (sounds like there's a different issue in play with the content on a small/big screen).

Regardless, it seems to me that most Readers expect the EPUB to be completely Fixed Layout or Reflowable - and don't handle a mixed case very well (or if they do, don't switch between the necessary UI/UX specific to each type of content to alert the user, etc.).
IronChaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I haven't coded for fixed layout yet, I'm just curious... Is there some code in the html header or ePub in general that defines if it is a fixed layout? If it were in the header it seems you could have the fixed layout portion as it's own html page which would display properly when opened, but not display at all if the screen was too small (style="display:none").

...just thinking out loud...

ePub3 support is gaining momentum. The more people use the features in their books, the more developers will support them. In the meantime, though, you would be wise to code alternatives for non-supporting apps/readers.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I'm just curious... Is there some code in the html header or ePub in general that defines if it is a fixed layout?
For fixed layout you declare the entire document and/or individual html files as being "pre-paginated" in the OPF. You also have to declare the page height and width in pixels (viewport). The reading device is supposed to scale pages if its screen doesn't have those dimensions. Generally there is one HTML file per page in fixed layout.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-03-2017 at 04:33 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, you talked me out of it.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
For fixed layout you declare the entire document and/or individual html files as being "pre-paginated" in the OPF. You also have to declare the page height and width in pixels (viewport). The reading device is supposed to scale pages if its screen doesn't have those dimensions. Generally there is one HTML file per page in fixed layout.
Wow - mind reader. That was one of my next questions.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is a reference for this in our wiki that you may find useful. Fixed layout ePub. It covers all known fixed layout versions.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote