Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Samsung Galaxy Player 5 - a few questions

I am enjoying the SGP5! Audiobooks are GREAT with MORT Player and I am starting to use Moon+ Pro reader. I will load up my 32GB mSD card with lots of books.

I thought that perhaps the best way is to just organize them into Genres/Author folders on my removable mSD card under "ebooks". Then open the file with whatever player (Kindle for mobi, Moon+ for epub). Is this a good idea? Am considering this for the Kindle Fire HD as well. Just don't want all those books on the carousel and this seems easier than getting another program, like Calibre, involved.

The actual question of this post (sorry for meandering) is:
I have set up a container-folder on a HomePage on the SGP5 with all the ereader apps in it. It has the default name "folder". Is there any way to change this name to something more mnemonic, of my choice? The thing is that I have more than one folder and this gets confusing.

Have looked in the manual, but no info.
Thanks!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
The actual question of this post (sorry for meandering) is:
I have set up a container-folder on a HomePage on the SGP5 with all the ereader apps in it. It has the default name "folder". Is there any way to change this name to something more mnemonic, of my choice? The thing is that I have more than one folder and this gets confusing.
Open the folder --> long press on the name at the top --> now rename the folder
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, that is it. Knew it was too odd not to have some way to do it!

Any comments on the ebook organization? Any suggestion would be welcome.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, that is it. Knew it was too odd not to have some way to do it!

Any comments on the ebook organization? Any suggestion would be welcome.
You're welcome

No suggestions on ebooks, because I don't read them on LCD devices. I strictly use eink devices.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
rgeorg
Guru

Really good point. Perhaps I am just getting carried away. I also would do all reading on eink devs. Well perhaps the kfhd on occasion. Except for waiting-rooms or travel, I can't imagine reading a book on the SGP5. Audio definately.

But I'll be prepared if I ever want to!
I am having a wonderful time with it. Is surprisingly useful, even in Greece where public WiFi is not common . And all the syncing between devices is convenient.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Really good point. Perhaps I am just getting carried away. I also would do all reading on eink devs. Well perhaps the kfhd on occasion. Except for waiting-rooms or travel, I can't imagine reading a book on the SGP5. Audio definately.

But I'll be prepared if I ever want to!
I am having a wonderful time with it. Is surprisingly useful, even in Greece where public WiFi is not common . And all the syncing between devices is convenient.
I read on mine all the time. It fits easily in my pocket and being back lit means I can easily see when I'm on the T underground. When I'm waiting for my laundry to finish I'm reading and listening to my music at the same time.

It's a terrific little device, don't let others convince you that it doesn't make a good reader simply because they prefer not to use it as such.

There are plenty of us on here who have no problems reading on a backlit device.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I have the 4.2 and read on it all the time, leaving the kindle and kindle fire at home. Only reason i'd take the kindle along is if I was going to be reading a loooooooong time :-)
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
That's just me. It's a personal call, and in no way am I suggesting that you don't read on it.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
rgeorg
Guru

I used a jetBook reader (5" lcd- nonbacklit) happily for a long time before I got the eink devs. I don't commute or travel often anymore. But I do carry the sgp5 around with me since it is so small and light. I've even used it a few times to calculate Bridge scores. I want to try the diet/menu planning and shopping list apps. There's just so much to do with it that I get over-whelmed. Truly, I didn't expect it to be so handy. I even like some of the games, and that is surprising for me.

I could go on about the kfhd (movies etc) also, I am enjoying both devices tremendously.

I bought Moon+ Pro recently and will load a few (hundred) books, and then see if I use it.

I am not so happy with the sansa clip zip though that I also bought in the Cyber Monday frenzy. Seems only good for music rather than audiobooks. I need to look at it a bit more.

Now, if I could just find an app to do the ironing
Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I could go on about the kfhd (movies etc) also, I am enjoying both devices tremendously.
I use my KFHD8.9 for videos and love it. Otherwise, my primary tablet is a Nexus 7 and my pocket tablet is a Galaxy Player 4. For ebooks, I have a Kindle 4.

Quote:
I am not so happy with the sansa clip zip though that I also bought in the Cyber Monday frenzy. Seems only good for music rather than audiobooks. I need to look at it a bit more.
Sorry you're not having any luck with it for audiobooks. For me, it's my favorite device. I use it for audiobooks all the time; and also for FM radio, music, and OTR podcasts. I also have an iPod touch 4 that I use for the same things as my Clip Zip, with the addition of streaming content.

What kind of problems are you having with your Clip Zip?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I read on mine too. I use Mantano though for my ebooks as it has collections just like a Kindle but you can also have Sub Collections. I throw all mine in a folder called ebooks then import them into Mantano and organize them.

I use my Clip Zip exclusively for audiobooks and Audibles. It works great.

I also use Akimbo on my SGP5 for Audiobooks and Audible app but I prefer my Clip Zip to it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
I used a jetBook reader (5" lcd- nonbacklit) happily for a long time before I got the eink devs. I don't commute or travel often anymore. But I do carry the sgp5 around with me since it is so small and light. I've even used it a few times to calculate Bridge scores. I want to try the diet/menu planning and shopping list apps. There's just so much to do with it that I get over-whelmed. Truly, I didn't expect it to be so handy. I even like some of the games, and that is surprising for me.

I bought Moon+ Pro recently and will load a few (hundred) books, and then see if I use it.

Now, if I could just find an app to do the ironing
Hey Rgeorg!

I love reading on my SGP5, I read on it last night in the dark on Moon + Pro. I love it. I like it better than my KFHD for reading. It is lighter, and I can see on it with Screendim or whatever is called (controls brightness).

As for the Sansa Zip Clip I love it too. I have another one coming in Friday. I have an old one and you can adjust the brightness and you can listen to .wma audiobooks from the library with little hassle. You can add a micro sdhc card too. I returned a Clip plus because the brightness was all the way down and it burned my eyes. Give it another chance like I did.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I am still considering a Galaxy Player 5. The Note is too expensive and maybe too large and I don't need a phone.
Just been waiting for a better screen on the Players.

My Droid I experiment is interesting but the screen is too small, yet I have gotten a good idea on what will fit in my pockets well.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I am still considering a Galaxy Player 5. The Note is too expensive and maybe too large and I don't need a phone.
Just been waiting for a better screen on the Players.

My Droid I experiment is interesting but the screen is too small, yet I have gotten a good idea on what will fit in my pockets well.
You would be amazed at the quality of the SGP5 for reading books. Watch a video on Youtube on the player. I can't find it right now. But someone here linked it.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
rgeorg
Guru

I have a 9" windows xp PC convertsble tablet that I use as a primary device. It is connected to a 27" monitor. I love the 7" KFHD for relaxing and playing various games/videos/etc in the evening. I almost wish Ihad bought the larger kf, but the 7"seems to be good for all purposes and nicer to hold in my small hands. I usually read with the kindle 9.7" DXG.

I have just set up the Clip Zip and used it once. I am concerned about losing my place in an audiobook. Couldn't find a bookmark feature and there are no position numbers.

When I first was loading files I tried to add a book inthe audiobook folder. Folder did not have permission set to allow this. So I deleted the original Audiobooks folder and created a new one with the same name. I added files, but they ended up inthe Music list. No big deal, but annoying.

It is cute and small with good sound. I am using the Samsung earbuds that came withthe sgp5 with it. I should give it another try. I bought it for the size convenience to use while exercising.

I appreciate the assistance.