Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
edent
Enthusiast
edent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Likebook Ares, Kindle 3G, Nook STR, 511eb
Register US Kindle in UK?

When I was in the US, I picked up a Kindle (no keyboard, with special offers).

Can I register it to my UK account and sync it with my other Kindles? I spoke to someone at Amazon customer services, and she said that I wasn't able to - but I've seen discussion on Amazon's boards about being able to swap between .co.uk & .com.

So, anyone here got a US Kindle & registered it in the UK? I assume the special offers will be US only?

Thanks

T
edent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why don't you try it and see? Amazon would be within their rights to not allow it, though, since they don't sell the K4 in other than the US, and buying a Special Offers version while living in another country is sort of "cheating", I think.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
yes it works fine (so far) We each bought one this week and had no problem registering them to our amazon.co.uk accounts.

Whilst amazon might block things in the future they'd have to be nutty to do so. after all you're registering it to buy stuff in the uk from the uk site. should they really care whether you are reading it on your pc, ipad via their apps or a US bought kindle? so long as you're making them money

We've already bought several books since getting home, if amazon did block it in the future i'd just start buying from non-amazon stores and converting to mobi for use on it so it's not really in their interests to do so (not that companies always do the logical thing

You can't take advantage of the special offers of course, but you are still been advertised to and they're gaining brand awareness such as the dove ads, so i don't see even the kso as been an issue. Hopefully in the future they'll release a uk kso and allow the ad server to be switched so we start seeing ads we can take advantage of though.

If amazon didn't want to allow usage of US kindles in the UK i'd expect their site to mention that US kindles can only be used with the .com site. Much like how DVDs have to state if they're region locked which regions it can be used in.

Last edited by JoeD; 11-02-2011 at 03:05 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
edent
Enthusiast
edent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Likebook Ares, Kindle 3G, Nook STR, 511eb
Cool - thanks everyone.

Oh, and it's not "cheating". I went into a store and paid money for it. It was only after I purchased that I saw on the back of the box it had "special offers".
edent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
mrbanana
Enthusiast
mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 505
My ex bought a wifi K3 with an Amazon.com account and registered it to her amazon.co.uk account without any problems.
mrbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edent View Post
Oh, and it's not "cheating". I went into a store and paid money for it. It was only after I purchased that I saw on the back of the box it had "special offers".
Ignorance isn't recognised in law as a valid excuse!

(Please be aware I am joking!)
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Why don't you try it and see? Amazon would be within their rights to not allow it, though, since they don't sell the K4 in other than the US, and buying a Special Offers version while living in another country is sort of "cheating", I think.
Better tell my wife she didn't buy a K4 the other day in Tesco in Edinburgh, Scotland then... wonder what it is?
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
And heaven help any USA person who moves overseas if people buying a kindle with advertising is cheating.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Better tell my wife she didn't buy a K4 the other day in Tesco in Edinburgh, Scotland then... wonder what it is?
Probably a K3. Does it have a keyboard? If so, it is a K3.

Edited to add: I thought they had not started selling the K4 in the UK, but I could be confusing it with the Touch, Fire, etc. which I know is still restricted.

Last edited by susan_cassidy; 11-04-2011 at 06:08 PM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Your edit is correct, the standard Kindle 4 is on sale in the UK and Europe, it's the Kindle Touch and the Fire that are not yet available outside the US (any Kindle 'With Special Offers' are also only available in the US).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:

Edited to add: I thought they had not started selling the K4 in the UK, but I could be confusing it with the Touch, Fire, etc. which I know is still restricted.
No it doesn't - it's the flimsy, tiny K4... but now you found that out Anyway, just because they're not officially for sale here, doesn't mean we can't get our hands on them quite easily...
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
Mine K4 NT w/spec.offers ($79) was bought from the Amazon US web site, shipped to the US address and registered to my Bulgarian account without any problems. When I try to look on some special offers it says "the special offers is for the US only" but no other problems. I bought some books from the US Kindle store from the Kindle via WiFi, I use user@free.kindle.com email to send the documents to my Kindle, I use the device without any restrictions.

If you think that these special will bother you - You can register it then pay 30$ to remove the special offers (unsubscribe). I am very surprised that you ever bought K4 w/spec. offers unregistered, I was think that I could get it only preregistered to the US address and account (because when I tried to get it on my Bulgarian address delivered - it says "Only for the US shipping addresses").

Last edited by enkov; 11-06-2011 at 09:15 AM.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

You are confusing it. The K4 is on sale everywhere in the world that Amazon sell the K3. It's the Touch model (and the Fire) which are only being sold in the US at present.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You are confusing it. The K4 is on sale everywhere in the world that Amazon sell the K3. It's the Touch model (and the Fire) which are only being sold in the US at present.
There are just too many kindles being released at once and this creates confusion. And the Accessory makers are calling them different names to the Amazon names which adds to it.

The Kindle 4 shouldn't be called a '4' because that implies it is a superior product to the Kindle 3, which it isn't. While being smaller is not necessarily a downgrade, it has less storage 'space' and it has less functions. It should have been called "mini" kindle or similar.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
You are right but here in the forum we use K4 for new Kindles. Amazon is confusing with names as usually.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote