Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Extending serial port cables outside Kindle without cutting any holes, possible?

I've screwed in the bezel with the cables sticking out ...

images

... but on the other side, this is what happens:

images

I'm afraid that if I press the other side, tension may cause damage to either the E Ink display or (more likely) the screws holding it.
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Which model Kindle?
And why use such large and heavy wires?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Use the wires out of a Cat5 patch cord, USB cable or old earphone cable.

You can get simple TTL serial BT modules. I saw a photo of one inside a DXG. Or use a "stereo" 2.5mm jack socket.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which model Kindle?
And why use such large and heavy wires?
A white Kindle Paperwhite 3 (PW3) - the latest version with serial port availability.
I used these cables because they have these "socks" at the end of the cable where it can easily plug in the serial adapter. But they aren't that much of a deal-breaker, now that I'm going with thinner cables (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Use the wires out of a Cat5 patch cord, USB cable or old earphone cable.
After infinite hours of desperation, I thought of the same idea. I tore apart an old USB cable from a keyboard. My first thought? Finally an actual advantage for these cheap, thin cables!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
You can get simple TTL serial BT modules. I saw a photo of one inside a DXG. Or use a "stereo" 2.5mm jack socket.
I know about these, and I just wish I could have the convenience!
Unfortunately, where I live, importing cheaper electronics is unfeasible because of the taxes imposed, which would be high compared to the part's cost (a $2 component could very easily cost you $15)
I even had to buy the USB TTL board locally. I paid $8 for a part that costs $2 on eBay or AliExpress. I can't even think about how much local retailers would charge for a Bluetooth version.
Therefore, I'd have to stick to the cable approach
(Edit: Cutting and tying the thin cables to the thick ones isn't working out ... I think I'd have to take the Kindle to an electrician's shop to solder the thin cables directly to the board)

However, even the thinner cables push the Kindle up (albeit much less severely than the thicker cables).
Is that fine for both the screen and screw sockets?

Last edited by WaseemAlkurdi; 02-15-2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I asked because some models have an easy-access lid on the back side.
Yours does not.

Don't try to pass the wires behind the display.
Not a good idea.
There is room around the sides if you must extend them toward the top. (after a bit of filing)

Better idea, don't extend the wires.
Plan on making them external on the bottom edge of the Kindle.
Mess around with the LED, that hole should be large enough for the wires.
When not in use, wrap around the back and hold down with masking tape.
(With the idea that nobody bothers to watch the colored LED blink.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2020, 04:49 AM   #6
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot

Quote:
I asked because some models have an easy-access lid on the back side.
Yours does not.
Not only that, it seems to be the most space-limited Kindle model that I've come across. My older ones had lots of free space. I especially miss that Kindle Touch and its back lid.
Quote:
Don't try to pass the wires behind the display.
Not a good idea.
There is room around the sides if you must extend them toward the top. (after a bit of filing)
This is my Kindle in its back cover: (that's tape on the sides of the display, to keep the glue from drying out)

With the bezel on, showing the cable I'm planning to use: (Ignore the black plastic, that's just to hold them together until I go to the electrician's shop tomorrow)

I'm going to solder the cables so that I won't go "across" the back of the display, but to instead take the shortest exit to the side or top.
Do you suppose I should extend them from the top? Or the left?
If that's the idea, then I could also run them along the sides in the bezel, so I could stow them in there when unused, and pop them out on demand.
Quote:
Better idea, don't extend the wires.
Plan on making them external on the bottom edge of the Kindle.
Mess around with the LED, that hole should be large enough for the wires.
When not in use, wrap around the back and hold down with masking tape.
(With the idea that nobody bothers to watch the colored LED blink.)
I tried that:

The LED hole doesn't even fit one of the three cables, unless I want to make it bigger (drilling it through). But if I want to do that, then I may just as well make a hole on the upper-left corner (and possibly disguise it as a ring holder like the two holes on the good ol' Nokias). But I don't feel comfortable doing that, as it would "maim" the perfect exterior of the Kindle.

Then what about running it through the USB slot? I tried that, now that we've come to talk about it, but the Kindle would refuse to sit tight in there with the cable bundle, nor a USB cable could fit in there.

So I guess we're left with either the side or the top. But that brings us back to square one. Any effect on the display or the screws?

P.S. Apologies for the wall of text ... I just needed to describe everything in detail to convey the full picture!

Last edited by WaseemAlkurdi; 02-15-2020 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:13 AM   #7
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot

@knc1 @Quoth
So I've replaced the cables with the thinner ones.

It closes up perfectly ..

... until the bezel is installed:

The cables are causing the thin bezel to bend. This would allow air to "leak" underneath, drying the glue, and loosening the bezel.
This would happen regardless of whether the cable is tucked under the bezel or extended outside.
Any ideas?
Old 02-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd drill a hole in the edge right there. Left side, nearish to the top of the device, should be nearly imperceptible for a righty .

(Unless I'm missing the point of what you're trying to achieve ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:45 AM   #9
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'd drill a hole in the edge right there. Left side, nearish to the top of the device, should be nearly imperceptible for a righty .

(Unless I'm missing the point of what you're trying to achieve ^^).
I don't want to drill holes ... that's the whole point of the question.
It would mutilate the refined exterior of the Kindle, as well as destroying any resale value.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Then I'm confused where you were expecting the wires to come out in this latest example?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #11
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
May I ask, why would you want to solder such longer cables in the first place?
Maybe there is another solution for your problem
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #12
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Then I'm confused where you were expecting the wires to come out in this latest example?
I had expected, perhaps naïvely, to "hide" it in the bezel, then "extend" it out of the screen's edge when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
May I ask, why would you want to solder such longer cables in the first place?
Maybe there is another solution for your problem
I basically want the serial port to be externally accessible, yet without cutting anything into the Kindle.
The approach I had in mind was to use the bezel as a "sheath" that I would stow the cable away in when not in use, then extend it out when using it. Like an old TV or radio antenna, but with a cable instead of a long metal rod.

Last edited by WaseemAlkurdi; 02-18-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #13
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How about ribbon cables? They are flat.

Also, not really a “no hole” solution, but what about making “terminal pads” as on backplate of Kindle Touch (1st generation) used for providing power to a lighted case, for example? You could make two very small holes, but put two metal round pads which will be connected to the motherboard. You could also make some sort of “dock” for this thing, and customarily increase the resale value which you are concerned about.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:50 PM   #14
mergen3107
Wizard

Speaking of backplates by the way,
Why don’t you buy a used Kindle casing, replace it and use it as you want, but keep your original casing somewhere safely? Then you can put it back before reselling.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #15
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
How about ribbon cables? They are flat.

Also, not really a “no hole” solution, but what about making “terminal pads” as on backplate of Kindle Touch (1st generation) used for providing power to a lighted case, for example? You could make two very small holes, but put two metal round pads which will be connected to the motherboard. You could also make some sort of “dock” for this thing, and customarily increase the resale value which you are concerned about.
That's a good option ... I even have a spare, dead Kindle Touch from which I can "pluck out" the terminals!
The only disadvantages are (1) it's very DIY and (2) still making holes that won't look as professional as the OEM stuff.
I'm seriously considering it though. The real issue now is (1) whether the terminals can fit and (2) whether a perfect square can be cut right in the middle (not starting from the sides).

Quote:
Speaking of backplates by the way,
Why don’t you buy a used Kindle casing, replace it and use it as you want, but keep your original casing somewhere safely? Then you can put it back before reselling.
Another sensible option that is unavailable to me. But as I said above, customs. I'd have to pay a minimum of $15 split between shipping and taxes for each and every item, even the cheapest, lightest $1 phone cover.