Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 06:07 AM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
<snip>

So don't go cutting edge as you'll get a paper cut trying to do so.
It wasn't Confucius who said . . . it was in Puck. v.52 1902/03

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	177140

bottom of page

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
It wasn't Confucius who said . . . it was in Puck. v.52 1902/03

Attachment 177140

bottom of page

BR
Yes you can make such "cutting edge" ePub, but there's very little software (in use) to actually display these eBooks the way they are intended.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #18
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
The problem is that going to the edge of what of the ePub3.x specs is not a good idea. Most programs that handle ePub do not go there and your eBooks may not work properly. You have to test them in real world cases. On different Readers using different versions of RMSDK such as Sony Readers, Kobo, and others. Also, there are all different versions of ADE being used from 2.0.1 to the current version. Then there are a lot of people using different programs for iOS and Android. And speaking of iOS, even iBooks/Books is out there in different versions that cannot be upgraded. So don't go cutting edge as you'll get a paper cut trying to do so.
This is true and I usually insert a warning indicating which readers the ebook can work with. If an EPUB3 works with Books, ADE, Gitden and Calibre I could reach a good number of readers.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #19
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Download the 4.10.1 version of Calibre. The version of QT was updated and that might change how the viewer is working for your case.
Thank you for the info, I'll try this afternoon.

Fabrizio
Old 02-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
This is true and I usually insert a warning indicating which readers the ebook can work with. If an EPUB3 works with Books, ADE, Gitden and Calibre I could reach a good number of readers.
If this warning is only in the eBook, how does the reader know ahead of time bfeore buying your book?
Advert
Old 02-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #21
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
If this warning is only in the eBook, how does the reader know ahead of time bfeore buying your book?

I was referring to the description we send to the distribution platforms.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I was referring to the description we send to the distribution platforms.
And you also know that you have less space for the actual description.

But what eBook store can you sell this at where you'll get sales from others who have such software to proiperly read your eBook other then Apple?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
The problem is that going to the edge of what of the ePub3.x specs is not a good idea.
Around the Silicon Valley, we used to refer to folk who did this as "WORKING ON THE BLEEDING EDGE"

And your next point was valid as well. SOMETIMES, there never are devices that met the full spec. It could be the Spec was flawed or it was just too hard to comply for the .001% that chose to use that 'feature'

IMHO Mainstream product (the book in this case) should wait for wide spread support (or get extra help desk staff )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #24
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
And you also know that you have less space for the actual description.
I don't think I've ever saturated the space for descriptions.

Quote:
But what eBook store can you sell this at where you'll get sales from others who have such software to proiperly read your eBook other then Apple?
If I understand your question correctly, all the stores that sold ebook not related to a specific device (here in Italy, for example, IBS).

Fabrizio
Old 02-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #25
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO Mainstream product (the book in this case) should wait for wide spread support (or get extra help desk staff )
This is true but: a) often, when nobody created something that show what could be done with electronic literature in ebook, the statement of those who are putting the handbrake on electronic literature is "but nobody asks for these things!". I think someone have to bleed. b) I think it is absurd that some of the most relevant work in electronic literature are coming from Steam or Nintendo toys, when the digital books are - more or less - a poor porting of analogic paper books. Ebooks MUST be the place where electronic writers could build their electronic works in literature.

Oblivious this is my point of view.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #26
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Download the 4.10.1 version of Calibre. The version of QT was updated and that might change how the viewer is working for your case.
So, I have the same problem with 4.10.1

I think I have to report a bug in calibre bug tracker.

Thank you anyway

Fabrizio
Old 02-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
So, I have the same problem with 4.10.1

I think I have to report a bug in calibre bug tracker.

Suggestion: attach the book and mark the post Private, Kovid can then examine the code in detail. It maybe another defect in Qt's webengine component.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:30 PM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Hi,

I downloaded the 4.9.1 version of Calibre and I have a strange problem with Calibre Reader, EPUB3 and setInterval function in javascript: seems that Calibre reader fails to handle the setInterval function. The events linked to the interval happens in wrong time and does not stop when I use a clearInterval.

Someone could verify this?

Fabrizio

Works fine for me. The calibre readers uses chromium (via Qt WebEngine) and that most definitely supports setInterval. Indeed the user interface of the calibre viewer itself uses setInterval for instance to display the clock in the upper right corner of the viewer controls.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #29
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Works fine for me. The calibre readers uses chromium (via Qt WebEngine) and that most definitely supports setInterval. Indeed the user interface of the calibre viewer itself uses setInterval for instance to display the clock in the upper right corner of the viewer controls.
Is there a way to send you a commercial ebook as example? I was opening a bug in calibre bug track but I do not see an option for this.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:37 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open the dev tools (right click and select Inspector) then open the console and see what errors the JS inthe book are generating. THose will be why setInterval does not work for the book.

And if you want to attach copyrighted material to a bug report mark it as rpivate.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote