Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #61
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Heh, in the US you get them subs, pizza, soda and beer to keep them happy. Beer after they knock off for the day of course.

BOb
D'oh! Knew I was doing something wrong!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #62
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
........(and castrate myself next day.).
Let me know what you decide, I can oblige...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #63
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Let me know what you decide, I can oblige...
I will keep you posted.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #64
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Er... I didn't necessarily mean you should trust the cable company with checking the box.

Though if it really has been checked for residents and found to be uninhabited, it sounds more like an electronic part going bad. Do you by chance know if any of your neighbors have (had) cable internet access?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #65
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
There must be a squirrel laughing somewhere. Do you have a Martha detector available?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #66
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Er... I didn't necessarily mean you should trust the cable company with checking the box.

Though if it really has been checked for residents and found to be uninhabited, it sounds more like an electronic part going bad. Do you by chance know if any of your neighbors have (had) cable internet access?
I have yet to speak to everyone on my street, but no one else has mentioned having a problem (mind you, many of them have already gone to the dark side--ahem, Verizon--and so, wouldn't help establish Comcast problems unless you counted why they left.)
Old 05-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #67
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
There must be a squirrel laughing somewhere. Do you have a Martha detector available?
I have a Slappy Scanner...

(Now, that's comedy!)
Old 05-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #68
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
We've almost always been with Verizon and it's been bearable for most of the time and great since we got Fios (we were one of the first in our area to get it for internet and 18 months later when TV was added we got that, too.) We had Verizon back when it was He!! Atlantic on dial-up, then ISDN and ADSL (DH's company paid for internet access) but the worst service we ever had was with Adelphia, now Comcast. Adelphia had the lousiest cable service I've ever encountered. They went digital, forget high def, years after everyone else did, constant service disruptions, and lousy reception. Even with all that we decided to try cable internet when it first came out for the frist free month and it never worked! The technicians couldn't make it work. They tried several different cable modems, reconnected it, performed Voodoo rituals but nada. At that point we dropped Adelphia completely, stayed with Verizon for internet and hooked up with Dish Network for TV service.

I'm telling you to take care of squirrel problem get yourself some powdered coyote or fox urine and the squirrels will leave you alone, the #$%* tree rats.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #69
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
the #$%* tree rats.
More camouflage, they're evolving...
Old 05-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #70
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Mini-rant ahead: Electronics. Simply put, I have a love-hate relationship with it... I love the potential, and I hate the reality.

Case in point: Every computer and PDA I've ever owned! Not one of them has not given me headaches and sleepless nights, trying to get it to do something that it was designed to do... that the manufactured said it could do... but it stubbornly refused to do!

I just spent last night trying to repair a problem with my PDA refusing to sync my Notes with Outlook. By the time midnight hit, I had uninstalled and reloaded ActiveSync twice, restored my PDA from backups 4 times, finally did a hard reset, and ended up in exactly the same no-notes-sync situation... but now ActiveSync won't sync at all, meaning I get to start over from scratch when I get home! Aargh!

Just bought a new laptop, my old one was getting long in the tooth. Try as I might, I can't get it to connect with my home wireless network.

Just set up a new PC... same notation on old one as the laptop. Setup and configuration of new SW (to replace old SW that won't run properly on the new OS) is being slowed up by the aforementioned problems with Comcast (Comcast! Sloowwwly I turned...).

This may be one of the reasons I like science fiction so much... it presents me with a future where they got all that electronic stuff to work...
Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #71
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm using Chapura to keep my Palm sync'd with my work PC (I don't use a PC at home), and I'm pretty happy with it. But I haven't messed with Vista. (I don't know if that's part of what's causing you grief, but it seems a safe assumption.)

If we're going to rant about computers, let's talk about MS deciding to redesign the whole interface for Office products so one can't find anything. I can avoid the problem on my system by refusing to "upgrade," but the users I support often aren't so lucky.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #72
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Mini-rant ahead: Electronics. Simply put, I have a love-hate relationship with it... I love the potential, and I hate the reality.

Case in point: Every computer and PDA I've ever owned! Not one of them has not given me headaches and sleepless nights, trying to get it to do something that it was designed to do... that the manufactured said it could do... but it stubbornly refused to do!

I just spent last night trying to repair a problem with my PDA refusing to sync my Notes with Outlook. By the time midnight hit, I had uninstalled and reloaded ActiveSync twice, restored my PDA from backups 4 times, finally did a hard reset, and ended up in exactly the same no-notes-sync situation... but now ActiveSync won't sync at all, meaning I get to start over from scratch when I get home! Aargh!

Just bought a new laptop, my old one was getting long in the tooth. Try as I might, I can't get it to connect with my home wireless network.

Just set up a new PC... same notation on old one as the laptop. Setup and configuration of new SW (to replace old SW that won't run properly on the new OS) is being slowed up by the aforementioned problems with Comcast (Comcast! Sloowwwly I turned...).

This may be one of the reasons I like science fiction so much... it presents me with a future where they got all that electronic stuff to work...
Actually, just for a touch of reality, you should include a computer crash at the most annoying time possible to show the resolve and wits of your main character. That or to show how your character is completely dependent on faulty equipment and needs to learn to make do. Just a thought.

I actually had to read a **gasp!** real book last night because the publisher decided that e-booking the first and third books in a series would be amusing.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #73
GeoffC

I'm a reasonably patient man, very rarely do I swear, but a bank in the UK is getting very close to making me blow my top; for the second time in less than a year. I shal'n't identify the bank by name, but those who know bank names may be able to imagine the name from a few keywords...calm atmosphere, rather austere, monks, nuns, congregations, Georgian chants.

So my rant.....

:sic k2:
:rantin g::

that's got that off of my chest...

(I originally ended up with 97 of these cute little things, but MR limited me to these 30 - but you get the general idea.)
Old 05-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #74
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I actually had to read a **gasp!** real book last night because the publisher decided that e-booking the first and third books in a series would be amusing.
what, you didn't find that amusing ? i just love the publishers, they're such playful little scamps when it comes to ebooks...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #75
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
what, you didn't find that amusing ? i just love the publishers, they're such playful little scamps when it comes to ebooks...
Playful little scamps - I like that - toying with our emotions...

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness