Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #5206
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
The only books that have come into our home are additional volumes of continuing manga series, which my wife reads almost as soon as they arrive. Oh, and I have bought the hardcover of a book she really liked in e-format because she prefers paper, but it has already been read.

My Total TBR is down by 12 so far!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #5207
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It’s already loaded onto my Kobo. Do you recommend it?
I DO! If you have never read Mary before, you're in for a treat. She is a cynic in the classics sense of "what do we really know that we know?" She treats her field the same way. She once wrote a paper debunking some of her own work from a decade earlier.

I think she is an excellent storyteller with an eye for the little people in the big stories she tells.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #5208
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you reading those books or is Mount TBR growing? If you are keeping up with reading your purchases, I don't see a problem. If you are simply adding to a massive TBR list, you might want to consider pruning your purchases to those that you will read in the near future.
I read a huge amount of series, reaching the last part, i skip to another serie, meanwhile the writer could release new sequels, i get alerted and i buy them. This gives me a constant backlog of say 200 books (about a year reading).
I have a friend who only starts series that are finished, me, i buy a cheap part 1 and get addicted only to discover i have to wait how it all develops because 'not finished'.
It is a balancing act, some months i try to catch up, more (after finishing one or another series) going back in my list of bought but not yet read books, and try not to buy new ones, but if i get in the mood reading a recent sequel part and there is a shiny new one just released after that one, another sale is ensured.. Sigh, i know, as said, i am hopeless

Last edited by Roos; 02-19-2020 at 04:24 PM. Reason: corrections
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:31 AM   #5209
WeEden11
WeEden11 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Mini 5.5
My library's selection is pretty limited so last year I decided to subscribe to Brooklyn Public Library. It's $50 a year but it has saved me at least that much in ebook costs and far, far more in audiobooks. I resubscribed again this year.
WeEden11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #5210
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I can't say that I have done fabulously better in February than I did with the post-holiday sales, BUT, this morning I returned 2 ebooks that I bought an hour before by reminding myself that I didn't really need them despite the discount. I already have the audiobooks. It was hard, but I did it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #5211
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Oh no!

Four books by my favorite authors are being published in March.

I want to read all of them.

What is a boy to do?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #5212
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Oh no!

What is a boy to do?
It depends how much you want to read them NOW and how big your current TBR is.

Perhaps just add them to a wish list and wait for a special offer?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #5213
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Oh no!

What is a boy to do?
If they're your favorite authors, then I'd just buy them. At least you know you'll like them.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:15 PM   #5214
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
If they're your favorite authors, then I'd just buy them. At least you know you'll like them.
I like how you think!
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #5215
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Well, unless there’s reason to think the prices will go up, he might as well wait and buy “just in time” when he’s ready to read each book. Who knows? There may be free Amazon money or a flash sale or a deal of the day or something.

That said, I don’t think there’s any issue at all in buying a book when you absolutely must read it right away. It’s buying for inventory that’s the devil’s snare.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #5216
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
I like how you think!
Thank you! And we want our favorite authors to keep writing. So buying books is a good thing sometimes.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #5217
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm. I just had a setback. I was going to finish up February having read three of the four books I’ve bought so far this year, but a wishlist book dropped 75% in price today. Not only that, while I’d like to read it, it’s not a priority read the way the first four purchases were. However, read it I shall, as I think this “must read in the near future” limit is a helpful constraint.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #5218
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So long as it's still a wishlist book you'll read soon, I think that's a justifiable purchase.

I did pass on one books from my wishlist recently - it was just the first book in a new series by a new (to me) author, and I have lots of books like it on my TBR, so even though it was £0.99 I didn't buy it, and I removed it from my wishlist!

I've read all but two of my ebooks obtained this year (bought or freebies), and one of those two I'm currently reading, and the other is in a series where I don't yet have the previous books.

My TBR is actually four books down on the year! (Yes, this means I've also read six books from my pre-2020 TBR pile!)

Not a bad start to 2020 after all.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #5219
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I’m resisting a book that’s down to $1.99 at Kindle (and still a whopping $15.99 at Kobo!) that sounds exactly my thing. I’m really torn on this.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #5220
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’m resisting a book that’s down to $1.99 at Kindle (and still a whopping $15.99 at Kobo!) that sounds exactly my thing. I’m really torn on this.
Right! I KNOW I have more books already purchased than I can read in 2 or 3 years. And yet....Amazon keeps hitting my facebook feed with great deals on books that are RIGHT UP MY ALLEY! Except for dystopia's, Amazon hasn't learned that I don't like dystopia's.

But since I'm unemployed at the moment, I've had more will power to "Just Say No!"
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote