Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 02-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #46
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Um... there is. Custom fonts, boldness slider, custom font sizes. You can't use any of those with the plain mobi. Of course it depends on whether these features are important to you or not. For me, they're very important. But I've gathered there are lots of people who use none of them and wouldn't be interested. For them there would be no difference.
Anyone who willingly just blows away a publishers stylesheet, will be happy with the simple results Mobi presents.
For those of us who DO want full styling, we will never understand them .
Same thing goes for me when I see folk watching action movies on a tiny screen with a tiny speaker (I am not talkin' about the extreme opposite either: those that have 42 Sub-woofers, and an eye-searing projection system )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #47
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If threads posting in the wrong forum section aren't going to move threads to the correct forum, then why not just move everything into General and leave it at that? There is a reason why there are different sections. So why not respect the reasons.
Although I often argue with Jon I've gotta say I agree on this one.

To be fair, the kind of obviously misplaced post I was grumbling about does usually get moved pretty quickly by the moderators.

As to what Diap said about studying the forum before joining- well, I belong to only a few internet forums and I DID do a bunch of reading on each of them before joining in order to see what kinds of topics were typically discussed, what topics belonged in which category, where the FAQ's were (in case any of my questions were already answered), and patience level with newbie questions. I also read through at least the first few pages in my areas of interest to see what was recently discussed to avoid annoying people by asking a question that was addressed two weeks ago on the second page....

I do admit to not finding the Lounge for a long time after I joined. When I scrolled down the main screen and got to the forums in other languages I (mistakenly) assumed I had reached the end of the English-language site and didn't scroll any further. It wasn't until someone in another discussion linked to the Lounge that I found it.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sometimes I do go into the ePub forum to see what's there. If there are posts in say the Sigil forum that actually belong in the ePub forum, I may not see them for a while. So having posts in the correct forum is a good idea as it means people who do specifically go to specific forum(s) will be able to find the thread(s).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #49
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Someone who doesn't respond to a request for more information may have solved their problem before the request was posted. There are Control Panel settings that disable Subscriptions and Emails

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If there are posts in say the Sigil forum that actually belong in the ePub forum, I may not see them for a while.
Now you're just teasing me.

Epub party in the Sigil Forum!!!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #51
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Someone who doesn't respond to a request for more information may have solved their problem before the request was posted. There are Control Panel settings that disable Subscriptions and Emails

BR
Eh... a polite person would say so in the thread, to save time and effort for other people. After all, other forum users help and respond in their spare time and won't get paid for it. Or possibly the fly-by-night posters think that anyone who responds is a paid employee... I wouldn't be surprised. More likely, of course, that they have no idea what politeness is. Unfortunately.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:42 PM   #52
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
An additional suggestion would be for the OP to return on a regular (maybe daily) basis until the issue was resolved, and then post a Thank You as closure.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:22 AM   #53
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Eh... a polite person would say so in the thread, to save time and effort for other people. After all, other forum users help and respond in their spare time and won't get paid for it. Or possibly the fly-by-night posters think that anyone who responds is a paid employee... I wouldn't be surprised. More likely, of course, that they have no idea what politeness is. Unfortunately.
What constitutes politeness is a sociological construct. I find some of the so-called English politeness annoying, it's often disingenuous and/or condescending! I also find effusive 'thank you''s irritating - especially when I suspect they're attempts to curry favour.

I cut a lot of slack for foreigners, no matter where they're from or their mother tongue. NB - for me, everyone is a foreigner, apart from the English and Aussies - and about some of them I have my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
An additional suggestion would be for the OP to return on a regular (maybe daily) basis until the issue was resolved, and then post a Thank You as closure.
Good luck with enforcing that. The right to free speech must include the right keep schtum

Imagine this:

22:20 OP - Posts: What's the time?
22:45 BR - Posts: 21:45
22:50 OP - sees BR's post, clicks Karma, carries on with life
22:55 XX - Posts: Why do you need to know?

Why should the OP return after reading the answer given by BR and sending some Karma. Surely not to answer XX's impertinent question?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-18-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #54
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
At first I thought you meant this thread.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Imagine this:

22:20 OP - Posts: What's the time?
22:45 BR - Posts: 21:45
22:50 OP - sees BR's post, clicks Karma, carries on with life
22:55 XX - Posts: Why do you need to know?

Why should the OP return after reading the answer given by BR and sending some Karma. Surely not to answer XX's impertinent question?

BR
Because time changes and the OP wants to see if anyone posted any updates
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #56
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Because time changes and the OP wants to see if anyone posted any updates
A quantum physicist assures me it doesn't, she reckons the surface of time is static so that everything (past and future) is always happening; but within the multidude [sic] of dimensions in which time is manifest we can only perceive the dimension of 'now'…

BR
Old 02-19-2020, 02:06 AM   #57
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
A quantum physicist assures me it doesn't, she reckons the surface of time is static so that everything (past and future) is always happening; but within the multidude [sic] of dimensions in which time is manifest we can only perceive the dimension of 'now'…

BR
Uhm, no. It is maybe possible that there is some aspects of quantum physics that do not follow the second law of thermodynamics. For everything else that does, time flows only in one direction. Cause and effect cannot be interchanged universally. It is one theory that you can only perceive the dimension of now, and another that the future does not exist. Either way, the future is predictable if you know enough about now (the present).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #58
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

You missed the subtle 'proof' in post 53, the time BR posted was earlier than the time the OP posted the original question.

Maybe someone should change the thread title to Incompleteness Theorems

BR
Old 02-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #59
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:

You missed the subtle 'proof' in post 53, the time BR posted was earlier than the time the OP posted the original question.

Maybe someone should change the thread title to Incompleteness Theorems

BR
That is a simple matter of different time zones. A lot more plausible, especially since the difference in time was exactly an hour off.

Unless your ship has an infinite improbability drive.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #60
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is a simple matter of different time zones. A lot more plausible, especially since the difference in time was exactly an hour
off.
That might imply BR was two time zones simultaneously, and we know where that leads - an even more plausible explanation is that it was a typo

BR

which it was