Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 05:06 AM   #1
neyet
neyet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converted AZW3 ebook to PDF with some layout issues

I'm using Calibre 4.5 (64bit) and have tried to convert a Kindle ebook (AZW3) to PDF.

The result is a PDF with some layout issues.

Is this expected? If not, is there a workaround?

N.B.: I understand that AZW4 ebooks are actually PDF files contained in a wrapper. What about AZW3 ebooks? Are they originally PDF files contained in a wrapper too?
neyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyet View Post
I'm using Calibre 4.5 (64bit) and have tried to convert a Kindle ebook (AZW3) to PDF.

The result is a PDF with some layout issues.

Is this expected? If not, is there a workaround?
Hard to say without more information, see ==> How to ask a question about conversion problems

Quote:
N.B.: I understand that AZW4 ebooks are actually PDF files contained in a wrapper. What about AZW3 ebooks? Are they originally PDF files contained in a wrapper too?
Nothing like, AZW3 (aka KF8) is closer to the EPUB format.

Curious : why are you converting to PDF?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Another question, why aren't you using the latest Calibre 4.10.1?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Possibly using KFX? I seem to remember that calibre versions newer than 4.5 break removing DRM from KFX. This should be fixed in the next release of the DeDRM tools, hopefully before Feb. 31st.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
neyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hard to say without more information, see ==> How to ask a question about conversion problems

I have read the contents of the article referenced by the above link. It seems that I need to upload the original ebook as well as the converted one but to whom?

The file size of the original ebook is more than 50MB.

Quote:
Nothing like, AZW3 (aka KF8) is closer to the EPUB format.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Curious : why are you converting to PDF?

I am helping a friend out. He wanted it to be in PDF format.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
neyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Please see the reply by DNSB
Old 02-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have read the contents of the article referenced by the above link. It seems that I need to upload the original ebook as well as the converted one but to whom?
You could post a bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre, attaching the AZW3 and marking the post private.

Quote:
He wanted it to be in PDF format.
Again - why?

Of all the e-book formats, PDF is the most problematic - to convert to or convert from. If your friend insists on PDF they should be prepared to accept a less than perfect result, or find a store who can provide a PDF edition of the book and get a refund from Amazon for the AZW3.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:37 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am helping a friend out. He wanted it to be in PDF format.
At this point, the question becomes "Is this book public domain or do you have the right to redistribute it?" If the answer is no, then generating the PDF copy for your friend moves solidly into the area of copyright infringement and ebook piracy.

Given your friend is likely to be able to read an AZW3 ebook on most devices using Amazon's free software, I'm tending towards you giving him a format shifted copy of a purchased ebook.

End of discussion for me.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-15-2020 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
neyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At this point, the question becomes "Is this book public domain or do you have the right to redistribute it?" If the answer is no, then generating the PDF copy for your friend moves solidly into the area of copyright infringement and ebook piracy.

Given your friend is likely to be able to read an AZW3 ebook on most devices using Amazon's free software, I'm tending towards you giving him a format shifted copy of a purchased ebook.

End of discussion for me.

You jumped to spurious conclusions and passed judgments on me without first asking me for clarifications.

To clarify, the ebook was purchased by my friend who had zero skills in using Calibre and the DeDRM tools. He asked me to help him out.

Secondly, he prefers to read the ebook in PDF format on his desktop computer which has a large monitor with at least 37 inches of screen size.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
He could read the book that he purchased, in the original amazon format on the same PC and on the same 37inch+ screen , in full screen, via amazon's free Kindle for PC software.

That will render the book better than any conversion to PDF. Seems that what he needs is some education, not some free conversion?

...and if he has some weird illogical objection to that, amazon will refund him ( they will fully refund any ebook with 7 days of purchase) and sell him a PDF version
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:07 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
You jumped to spurious conclusions and passed judgments on me without first asking me for clarifications.

To clarify, the ebook was purchased by my friend who had zero skills in using Calibre and the DeDRM tools. He asked me to help him out.
I'd have to disagree. Whether you purchased the book and are giving him a copy or he purchased the book and supplied you with a copy, neither are likely to be allowed.

Quote:
Secondly, he prefers to read the ebook in PDF format on his desktop computer which has a large monitor with at least 37 inches of screen size.
You did read the section of my message mentioning reading with Amazon's free software on most devices? My opinion here is much the same as @stumped.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-20-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Maybe he thinks Amazon formats only work on kindles and has not understood how useful the the kindle for (desktop) pc option can be. It will toggle to full screen just like a pdf rendering program?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote