Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #1321
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I already copy and paste metadata for multiple pdf formats for existing books. Since the publisher's formats are rarely Kindle-compatible, I tend to batch-process pdf books using k2pdfopt and/or ghostscript, and I sometime have to try more than one pdf format to find a good result. In that context, I want to copy everything except my user-created columns #status and #processing. Unless I can configure different versions of copy metadata for different tasks, I'm going to keep that version.

Thank you both.
Perhaps the JobSpy plugin could have a collection of exclusion lists from which you would select prior to doing the copy and paste - it may even be able to do the copy step when a list is selected.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #1322
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Is there an easy way to cut and paste into all the appropriate fields?
If what you are asking is if there is a way to paste into all the fields you want to update in one go, then no. You need to copy the text you want to paste, click in the field and paste (either using the keyboard or menus) and then repeat for each field.

And for the record, I don't think any method that allowed a "mass" paste into a lot of fields would be particularly useful. I think I would spend as much time organising where I had to cut the text from as doing it the above way.

Last edited by davidfor; 02-11-2020 at 07:50 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:53 AM   #1323
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Okay, I've installed Job Spy, I'll see if that helps. Both my typing hand and my off hand hurt from way too much typing and from ... who knows, may be referred pain from my typing hand.

Last edited by MarjaE; 02-12-2020 at 02:05 AM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:42 AM   #1324
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@MarjaE - my comment about JobSpy was speculating about new functionality that could be added to the plugin. AFAIK there's nothing in it now that provides a collection of exclusion lists.

After my post I remembered that the exclusion list comes into play when you do the paste, I implied it came into play when you do the copy. No matter, the select from the collection of exclusion lists could patch the selected exclusions into the Tweak ready for the Paste to use and then initiate the Copy.

BR
Old 02-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #1325
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Job Spy "Import CSV File to Update Metadata"

Perhaps your work-flow would improve if you used the Job Spy "Import CSV File to Update Metadata" tool. Reading the ToolTips via mouse-hovering is obligatory. Look under the "Metadata GUI Tools" sub-menu. All of JS' menus are "tear-off" at the perforation, but the ToolTips quit displaying after a menu is torn off; read them first.

Note the ToolTip regarding exporting a Calibre Catalog CSV file to use as a starting point.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js_import_csv_to_update_metadata_20191023.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	177096  
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:51 AM   #1326
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I have an astigmatism, which is hard to correct. So I have trouble with small text, and certain fonts. I also have trouble with tooltips. I don't think I'm going to be able to follow up on this.

Last edited by MarjaE; 02-14-2020 at 01:53 AM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #1327
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad
Read item metadata from PDF content

I have imported PDFs of some academic papers (no ePUBS are available for these) into calibre and noticed that more often than not the metadata are crap.

However, the PDFs contain proper text content (not image pages), so some plugin could attempt to populate metadata like title, author and pubdate from the content of the item. I know this might not alwyas be perfetct, but it could be better than an author of "LaTeX" or similar... ;-)

I assume this is not a core capability of calibre, but does anybody known of a plugin for this?
halloleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:33 PM   #1328
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

IIRC the Library Codes PI can extract ISSN from PDFs, not sure about author and title ==>> Index of plugins

BR
Old 03-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #1329
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Most pdf authors don't bother to set the metadata in the PDF correctly.

Guessing the metadata from the content might work for well formatted metadata like ISBN, but to get the rest, you'd have to "read" it semantically. Care to write an AI for that? I have trouble myself finding the real copyright date in gutenberg books.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #1330
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
IRC the Library Codes PI can extract ISSN from PDFs, not sure about author and title ==>> Index of plugins
Thanks for the pointer. This gives at least something.

Last edited by halloleo; 03-05-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #1331
halloleo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
...to get the rest, you'd have to "read" it semantically. Care to write an AI for that?
Maybe something like this exists outside the calbibre universe...
Old 03-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #1332
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloleo View Post
Maybe something like this exists outside the calbibre universe...
There are no metadata sources within the 'calibre universe' itself, what there is are some plugins (most are user written) to ebook stores like Amazon, Google, B&N and a number of non-English eBook stores.

Mendeley and Zotero are two widely used programs for organising academic papers. There's a plugin for that exchanges metadata with a Zotero account and there is/was one for Mendeley but it may have been abandoned.

BR
Old 03-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #1333
halloleo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
There are no metadata sources within the 'calibre universe'...
Thanks for the clarifications, @BetterRed. And thanks in the first place for adding my 'idea' to the right thread.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:16 AM   #1334
nixsee
Connoisseur
nixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notes

Zotero has a plugin that allows you to use QuickLook on the item entries - quickly popping up a preview window. It would be wonderful to have a similar integration with Calibre.

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion...oteroquicklook
nixsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:19 AM   #1335
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixsee View Post
Zotero has a plugin that allows you to use QuickLook on the item entries - quickly popping up a preview window. It would be wonderful to have a similar integration with Calibre.

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion...oteroquicklook
If anyone wants to look into this but doesn't have access to a Mac, there's a Quicklook app in the MS store, if you install it you can see what it does by selecting a file in Fie Explorer (in calibre press 'O' to open File Explorer) and hitting space

It it is quick to load a PDF or EPUB (plugin required) but on a large PDF it was a bit slow when I clicked on a page at the back of the book.

I'll have a look to see if I can integrate the Windows Quicklook into calibre via the Open With feature - but I'll need to do battle with the Windows Permissions Beast - so, don't hold your breath

Even if I can get it to work on Windows, I've no idea if you could do the same thing on a Mac.

BR

Tags
calibre, chatbot, cover, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, kindle, metadata calibre title, missing, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development, scribe