Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 01:42 AM   #1
guru
Enthusiast
guru began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for a model
update to latest firmware or to Linux

Hello,

I've got a PRS-T1 since 2012. I do not see any newer updates from Sony after 2014 (1.0.07.05070 - released on 19 June 2014). Is this really the latest one? Or are there any FOSS versions based on Linux?

Thanks

matthias
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
What features are you missing from the old FW that you need a new one?
Or what bugs of the old FW bugs you?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
guru
Enthusiast
guru began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for a model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
What features are you missing from the old FW that you need a new one?
Or what bugs of the old FW bugs you?
I have some issues with the device, sometimes it just locks-up and I have to push the small reset button. This could be as well hardware faults after such a long time. In any case the software (1.0.04.12210) is very old and for example the webbrowser can not render pages I'm used to read (example: www.jungewelt.de). That's why I was looking for a recent version, but even the last available is old (2014).

May be it's time to buy another device.
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
You could look into getting a used T2 or T3. I had a T1 that eventually started locking up when trying to look up words in the dictionary. My T3 hardly ever locked up - I stopped using it only because it stopped being able to get Overdrive library books directly. From what I've read on this forum, the T2 is also reliable.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I got a T1 from CEX. I decided after updating to the last version FW, that it was inherently unreliable. I demonstrated it freezing.
They refunded.
The PRS350 is fine. Kindle PW3 is fine, Nook simple Touch OK, Kobo H2O original OK.
I've read many threads on the T1. It seems to be a lemon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I got a T1 from CEX. I decided after updating to the last version FW, that it was inherently unreliable. I demonstrated it freezing.
They refunded.
The PRS350 is fine. Kindle PW3 is fine, Nook simple Touch OK, Kobo H2O original OK.
I've read many threads on the T1. It seems to be a lemon.
My T1 worked fine for a few years but once it started having the frequent dictionary lockup problem that was pretty annoying. Then it stopped being able to get library books direct after an Overdrive change so I moved on to a T3.

The T3 was much more stable and only rarely locked up. Unfortunately it recently lost the direct Overdrive capability so I switched to Kobo. However, the T3 still works well otherwise so I am keeping it as a backup.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My was OK as long as I didn't annotate!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:16 AM   #8
SchockoNougat
SchockoNougat began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
Hello,

I've got a PRS-T1 since 2012. I do not see any newer updates from Sony after 2014 (1.0.07.05070 - released on 19 June 2014). Is this really the latest one? Or are there any FOSS versions based on Linux?

Thanks

matthias
Nice thread!
I own a PRS-T1 too and a I ask myself: Why is there no custom rom out there or a ArchLinux or ArchLinuxARM for it.

I think 1.0.07.05070 is the newest officially stock rom from sony but, correct me if I am wrong, this version is not compatible with minimal-root.zip or rupor-minimal.zip .

My problem is that I want to run spotify on it and a web-browser (+android system) with security issues.

I found http://fread.ink/ wich seems to be a "alternate operating system for electronic paper ebook readers".

The PRS-T1 seems to have a i.MX508. Here is info paper:
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/fact-sheet/IMX508FS.pdf
And here is a hackaday post:
https://hackaday.com/2018/07/25/hope...for-e-readers/

Does the PRS-T1 had a bootloader an is it possible to unlock them?

At the moment I run 1.0.05.11130 wich is based on Android 2.1.1 (froyo)(sdk 8). Android 4 or 5 would be awesome and support a lot of more apps to test with the device.

BR, SchockoNougat
SchockoNougat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
May be it's time to buy another device.
Someone is selling white T2s on eBay for $25, which includes shipping. I've never had any of the issues you mention on the T2, but I have had odd issues on a couple T1s I owned (one I still own). The T2 will be very familiar. Slightly different buttons.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PRS-T2...UAAOSwckRdXAZp

This guy has sold 43 of these so far. Apparently he got them at a library or school (or something like that). Actually it was a library, the sticker is still on the back in his pictures.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-13-2019 at 07:31 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #10
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Is there actually any difference between the T1 and T2 besides the button change and loss of audio support?

The firmware could be quite similar.

Last edited by DoctorM; 09-15-2019 at 09:51 PM.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Is there actually any difference between the T1 and T2 besides the button change and loss of audio support?

The firmware could be quite similar.
No, I don't think so. The main difference was that the T2 didn't have the glitches that (at least some) of the T1s seemed to have had.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
4691mls
Wizard

I went from a T1 to a T3 and it was also pretty similar. The main difference I noticed was that the "default font" on the T3 was Amasis instead of whatever it was on T1.

The T3 hardly ever locked up and required a restart. The sleep cover with light is nice, the light will shut off when the reader goes to sleep. Useful if you want to read while you are falling asleep in bed.

The only reason I switched to Kobo was because the Sonys lost the ability to obtain books directly from Overdrive libraries. Otherwise my T3 was still working well and I am keeping it as a spare.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I went from a T1 to a T3 and it was also pretty similar. The main difference I noticed was that the "default font" on the T3 was Amasis instead of whatever it was on T1.

The T3 hardly ever locked up and required a restart. The sleep cover with light is nice, the light will shut off when the reader goes to sleep. Useful if you want to read while you are falling asleep in bed.

The only reason I switched to Kobo was because the Sonys lost the ability to obtain books directly from Overdrive libraries. Otherwise my T3 was still working well and I am keeping it as a spare.
a big difference with the T3 is that it has a newer version of RMSDK that supports hyphenation. The T1 & T2 do not support hyphenation.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:41 AM   #14
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I went from a T1 to a T3 and it was also pretty similar. The main difference I noticed was that the "default font" on the T3 was Amasis instead of whatever it was on T1. .
The fonts in T1 seem to comprise much more glyphs than the Amasis in T3.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, update