Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You can just download Plex directly from IBM: here

They offer Open Type, True Type, web versions and source code.
https://github.com/IBM/plex

There is even a mono version.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
You can just download Plex directly from IBM: here
Ah, a much better (and more complete) source. Thanks.

(But I still like Constantia.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Ah, a much better (and more complete) source. Thanks.

(But I still like Constantia.)
Don't worry. Fonts are understanding about humans' inability to be faithful.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I liked Plex a lot, but switched back to Literata Book. Plex has too much wasted space. At my current settings, with Line Spacing slid all the way to the left, Plex only gave me 19 lines of text. With the same settings, Literata Book gives me 23 lines of text.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #35
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
It depends on the story I’m reading. Fantasy books that rely on magic without electricity and modern indoor plumbing get read with a Bookerly. All other books are read with Verdana Condensed Pro because I like fitting the most words on the screen as possible. I dislike serif fonts. I like Bookerly though. I read on size one for both. Before someone on the Kindle subreddit suggested Verdana to me I was using Amazon Ember.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro using Tapatalk
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
It depends on the story I’m reading. Fantasy books that rely on magic without electricity and modern indoor plumbing get read with a Bookerly. All other books are read with Verdana Condensed Pro because I like fitting the most words on the screen as possible. I dislike serif fonts. I like Bookerly though. I read on size one for both. Before someone on the Kindle subreddit suggested Verdana to me I was using Amazon Ember.
Before you read eBooks, did you dislike reading pBooks with serif fonts?
Old 08-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I liked Plex a lot, but switched back to Literata Book. Plex has too much wasted space. At my current settings, with Line Spacing slid all the way to the left, Plex only gave me 19 lines of text. With the same settings, Literata Book gives me 23 lines of text.
I do find that with IBM Plex Serif, I lose maybe 2 lines vs ChareInk. But IBM Plex does look pretty good.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before you read eBooks, did you dislike reading pBooks with serif fonts?
There wasn't a whole lot of choice before, was there?
Old 08-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
There wasn't a whole lot of choice before, was there?
But did you specifically want the pBooks to be using a sans serif font?
Old 08-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
But did you specifically want the pBooks to be using a sans serif font?
In the days of paperbooks the font used was the font used.

Why do you care if someone prefers sans serif fonts?
Old 08-06-2020, 09:35 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In the days of paperbooks the font used was the font used.

Why do you care if someone prefers sans serif fonts?
I'm trying to find out how this preference for sans serif came about given that pBooks used serif fonts long before there were eBooks.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:22 PM   #42
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'm trying to find out how this preference for sans serif came about given that pBooks used serif fonts long before there were eBooks.
Unless you reconfigure things, on your computer pretty much everything is using sans serif; web pages, the ui, apps, whatever. And prior to that magazines all mostly used sans serif. It's what people are accustomed to, and now serif fonts look stodgy and old fashioned.

But I think it's interesting that printed books, fiction, still use serif fonts.

A similar change in taste/convention is that almost all of the books you get from Project Gutenberg (i.e., old and out of print) use Roman numerals for chapter numbers. Which to me looks pretentious.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:23 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Don't worry. Fonts are understanding about humans' inability to be faithful.
I'm actually "constant" with Constantia.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:25 PM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Plex seemed a little too "squared off" for me — if that makes any sense. I also had to use it at a smaller font size than I normally use.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #45
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Unless you reconfigure things, on your computer pretty much everything is using sans serif; web pages, the ui, apps, whatever. And prior to that magazines all mostly used sans serif. It's what people are accustomed to, and now serif fonts look stodgy and old fashioned.

But I think it's interesting that printed books, fiction, still use serif fonts.

A similar change in taste/convention is that almost all of the books you get from Project Gutenberg (i.e., old and out of print) use Roman numerals for chapter numbers. Which to me looks pretentious.
Bingo! Early computer displays/printers were 7/9 pin dot-matrix. The company I worked for had some Daisy Wheel printers for formal letters, but everyday printing was dot matrix (personal printers) or Band printers on the big Iron.
Until dot matrix evolved to high pin counts, doing serif was not pretty
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote