Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Gilgamesh
If I'm recalling correctly, Gilgamesh only dates back about 4000 years. So 1000 years of farming and land records as bedtime reading. Is the tablet worth the candle?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If the point is that people were able to read Gilgamesh in their beds without stands, hand-straps, or battery-powered devices, then I most humbly concede that point.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:50 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
5000 years?! Most writing systems around 3000BCE were used for recording livestock or other commodities on clay tablets - reading those in bed would literally be counting sheep for the insomniacs
Sorry, but this historical document clearly shows your 'facts' are in error.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:43 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
I need a stand because I like to read while I'm eating and a cover with a flip-out stand is easy.

5000 years?! Most writing systems around 3000BCE were used for recording livestock or other commodities on clay tablets - reading those in bed would literally be counting sheep for the insomniacs
How about getting a cover with a built-in stand? One has a kickstand and the other an origami stand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KTV92VH
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LYPFGCP
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:18 AM   #35
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I only use covers/cases for transportation, myself. All of my devices are uncovered the rest of the time.

I’d prefer a slipcase for that, but it’s almost impossible to tell, when buying online, how much protection a slip case gives. They all claim to protect the screen, and then a floppy neoprene sock turns up. So I have a pretty bad flip cover for my kobo and paperwhite - it does actually fit both - although I tend to put them in it face down because of the stupid pocket on the inside of the front cover.

I don’t use an e-reader out and about, so I don’t need a cover for that. I’ll use my phone if I’m that desperate to read something.

(I used to use the proper official moulded cover for my phone. It was a pretty good cover, but it eventually started to fall apart. My phone was pretty old by then, so I decided to do without. I couldn’t get over how thin and light my phone actually was.)

The leather slipcase for my old kindle keyboard is probably the last case I actually liked.

I’m late to this thread because I kind of assumed it was about book covers rather than e-reader covers.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #36
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How about getting a cover with a built-in stand? One has a kickstand and the other an origami stand.

They look very nice
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:59 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
They look very nice
I have one of the Kobo origami cases. If the kwmobile origami case was out, when I got my Libra 2, I would have bought one of those.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:02 AM   #38
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Your 'kickstand' is what I meant by flip-out stand.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #39
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Back in my nook days I had a cover I loved, it was a silicone shell you slid your nook into. It was open faced. It was great because it added virtually no weight to the nook, didn’t interfere with having a screensaver image, and barring anything smaller than the screen hitting the nook gave a good buffer that would prevent damage.

I’ve not seen its like for any Kobo I’ve had.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:49 AM   #40
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
when I ordered my 1st reader - the bebook mini, buying a cover was done directly with it. It was far too much money to not invest in protection. with the next it was a no-brainer too. I don't get the idea why NOT to.
When lying on the table its protected from spills, when pocketed from other stuff clacking against the display - even non-breaking ones might leave annoying marks or scratches.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:36 AM   #41
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I have always used covers on my readers and tablets.

3rd party covers are cheap, so I see no reason why not to use one.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:36 PM   #42
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
If I take my ereader out of my house I will have it in a case. If I am at home sitting on my couch or bed, where the ereader would fall on a soft surface, I may read without the cover depending on the ereader (I find my Tolino more comfortable to hold without the cover, but prefer my Kobo with the cover on).

The only real damage I've had to any of my ereaders was when I was reading on my Sony T1 during a break at work. Something fell off the hutch over my desk and landed on the screen, creating a 1/8" divot. Having the reader in a case would not have prevented this. The reader was still usable.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #43
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Amazon’s announced a new Fire 7 tablet for $59.99; the official cover is $28.99.

I rest my case. Certainly at that price I’d rest it.
Yeah, at that price I'd wait for a generic case to be available and just be careful with the reader in the meantime.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:11 PM   #44
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Anyway. My ereaders all have covers and I’ll continue to buy them for out-and-about readers, just because it’s easier than dealing with a sleeve (subject, of course, to my $10 limit). But for an in-house reader? I think I’m done.
I find covers help me hold my device. I use the Apple cover for my iPad's. They are small and light and "just right" IMHO for holding my iPad in a reading position.

Interestingly, my actual Kindle, I don't have a cover on. It's so easy to hold and read without a cover.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:14 AM   #45
chesterdumke
chesterdumke began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I use a cover for my Kobo reader for purely cosmetic reasons. There are a lot of them with really fun colours and artsy prints and patterns. I usually have 5 or 6 different covers on hand and change them as the mood strikes me.
chesterdumke is offline   Reply With Quote