Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #1
elipsajune
elipsajune began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen), Kobo Elipsa
Elipsa crashing and corrupting notebooks

It happened to me twice that the Elipsa stopped responding to my input while I had a notebook open. After forcing a restart, I could not open that notebook anymore. Probably its file is corrupted. Has anyone experienced the same? It is very frustrating because I have already lost two important notebooks with tens of pages.
elipsajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:40 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Always regularly export locally to docx or txt. It's called backup.

You can also diectly backup the nebo files via USB.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:49 AM   #3
elipsajune
elipsajune began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen), Kobo Elipsa
I know what backup is. It never happened to me with any other device that the device itself corrupted files this frequently. I wonder if my device is defective or this is to be expected with the Elipsa.
elipsajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:03 PM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Sounds defective to me. I’ve not had this happen to my Elipsa notebooks. You should give Kobo CS a call.

In the meantime, here’s what I do to prevent Elipsa crashes (of which I have more than my fair share) from corrupting or losing my notebooks.

1) Plug your Elipsa into your computer, and select computer connectivity on the Elipsa.
2) Open the mounted Kobo drive.
3) Look for .nebo files. These are your notebooks.
4) Drag your .nebo files into a folder/directory on your computer.
5) Do this often.

Unlike the built in exporting options, you can drag these notebook files back to your Kobo in the event you have to factory reset and be back up and running right where you left off. The problem here is that while Kobo backs up annotations to the cloud, they don’t backup notebooks. It’s a serious shortcoming IMO.

Lastly, you might want to download the Nebo journaling app and open your corrupt notebooks into that software. The Nebo app is more robust than the barebones Nebo support on the Elipsa. I can’t guarantee anything, but it’s worth a shot to see if you can salvage something.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-20-2022 at 07:06 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:34 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd like Nebo on Linux.

I have a Wacom tablet working on Linux Mint and my grandson has a Linux Laptop with Wacom screen, though it's an old Lenovo X201.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:13 PM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd like Nebo on Linux.

I have a Wacom tablet working on Linux Mint and my grandson has a Linux Laptop with Wacom screen, though it's an old Lenovo X201.
Those sound like great fits for Nebo. Have you tried installing Wine to run Nebo? I'm not sure Wine would support the digitizer properly, though.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:36 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Those sound like great fits for Nebo. Have you tried installing Wine to run Nebo? I'm not sure Wine would support the digitizer properly, though.
I do have Word 2003 on WINE (occasional tests). Windows drivers do work on my Vbox VMs, even a Sony USB web cam that only works on older Windows. I'm sure both the serial and USB (Bamboo) Wacom tablets work via VM.

I'll not go the route of Nebo on Wine or on a VM.

Both models of Wacom work on The GIMP (and on Wacom on Lenovo X201 screen), but I don't do drawing on PC.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Nebo's predecessor, MyScript Stylus, used to work very well with my Wacom monitor on Linux through Wine, but I haven't managed to get Nebo to work with it. MyScript Stylus was a general-purpose handwriting entry program unlike Nebo, so it probably interacts with the digitizer in a very different way.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:05 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

There are several native handwriting entry programs for Linux Mint in the Software Manager GUI. Really I only use WINE for a few things so ancient they don't work on Win7 or win 10 64 bit, and in the last couple of years not even them (old engineering tools with no new windows version, a couple of the programmers are dead).

Tags
elipsa