Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2022, 08:45 AM   #1
Budske
Budske began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Worth updating from 5.6.5?

Hello,

I have my PW2 since 2016 or 2017, back then I followed a guide on how to jailbreak it and I haven't touched it since then.

I have Kual 2.6 and Firmware Kindle 5.6.5, I don't remember what else I installed

It has been a while since I touched my Kindle, is it worth updating to something that I can keep the jailbreak?

Thanks
Budske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
It is all dependent on your needs. Some useful things were added over the years:

- font boldness adjustments (added with firmware 5.8.11 IIRC)
- (official) support for using custom fonts in azw3 of kfx book format (= no custom fonts for old mobi format) that was added sometimes around firmware 5.9.7.

Just keep one thing in mind: before doing firmware updates you should download and install the latest version of jailbreak "hotfix" package from "snapshots" thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

And then after installing firmware update again reinstall the hotfix package.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:30 PM   #3
Budske
Budske began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
It is all dependent on your needs. Some useful things were added over the years:

- font boldness adjustments (added with firmware 5.8.11 IIRC)
- (official) support for using custom fonts in azw3 of kfx book format (= no custom fonts for old mobi format) that was added sometimes around firmware 5.9.7.

Just keep one thing in mind: before doing firmware updates you should download and install the latest version of jailbreak "hotfix" package from "snapshots" thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

And then after installing firmware update again reinstall the hotfix package.
Thanks, I'll have to check how to update the jailbreak and everything installed.
Budske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:46 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I say yes just for added your own fonts and adjusting the weight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budske View Post
Hello,

It has been a while since I touched my Kindle, is it worth updating to something that I can keep the jailbreak?

Thanks
Your firmware version has still support for kindlets.
If you update, you'll lose it

Last edited by encol; 05-25-2022 at 02:33 PM.
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:09 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Your firmware version has still support for kindlets.
If you update, you'll lose it
You can update as high as 5.8.11 and still have kindlets.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote