Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Does your Forma have the wedge-side light issue?
No wedge-side light issue 20 15.87%
Have wedge-side light issue, but living with the issue 72 57.14%
Have wedge-side light issue, seeking warranty replacement 14 11.11%
Have wedge-side light issue, returning for refund 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #16
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I did the factory reset (manually by using a page turn button and holding down power) and I did the one through the settings menu. I didn't see a change.

The lighting issue was faint enough that it wasn't noticeable while reading unless I purposely looked over to the wedge-side. It just bugs me to spend that much money and have a slight imperfection.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #17
squiresque
Enthusiast
squiresque began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars, Alita
Re: Factory Reset Suggestion by Customer Service

Since I otherwise find the Kobo Forma amply featured (subject to further investigation of the pulse width modulation issue discussed in other threads), I am guardedly grateful that Customer Service has apparently identified a remedy to the wedge side lighting abnormality. (The abnormality is most noticeable and disturbing when viewing a PDF in landscape mode since in that mode the barest-of-bare-bones Kobo PDF software makes use of the defectively lit region for actual text.)

I would be grateful if, before redoing all of the work already done to setup the Forma, some explanation would be provided by Kobo as to why a factory reset is needed, and, further, whether further factory resets to correct the issue or ameliorate it, will be required going forward.

Surely the device was in a factory-reset state when I purchased it. If such a reset restores the lighting to a nondefective state, then ordinary customer use for a rather brief period of time was sufficient to undo whatever benefit the factory reset accomplished in the first instance. Thus, it can be expected that further customer use will soon result in a repeat of the light irregularity, and, if the current recommendation is sound, a need for yet more resets, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

I cannot count the times when a technical support person - well-intentioned as ever - has responded to a technical issue by recommending that I go through a series of lengthy steps, full of sound, fury, and resets, but solving nothing.

Having said that, I do hope the issue is resolved as there is much to like about the Forma.
squiresque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #18
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

26 votes so far, and 20 reported the light issue. That is a bit alarming to me especially since some bought through Kobo, some through Walmart, and some in a store in Canada.

I know 26 is a small sample, so maybe we are just an unfortunate lot.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #19
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
26 votes so far, and 20 reported the light issue. That is a bit alarming to me especially since some bought through Kobo, some through Walmart, and some in a store in Canada.

I know 26 is a small sample, so maybe we are just an unfortunate lot.
That and the fact that no one has shown evidence of a Forma without the issue. I'd bet any amount of money that anyone claiming they don't have the issue aren't very discerning or have poor eyesight.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #20
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
That and the fact that no one has shown evidence of a Forma without the issue. I'd bet any amount of money that anyone claiming they don't have the issue aren't very discerning or have poor eyesight.
... or perhaps they are just able to adapt , very easily, to "un-seeing" things. A bit like many of us quickly learned to un-see eink's standard page refresh "flash".

I think I must be in this category. I've never thought of myself as particularly tolerant, but reading the various MR Kindle/Kobo/Nook forums about perceived "unacceptable lighting issues, given the cost", I've revised my opinion.

I have multiple household items which cost a lot more than any ereader and which do not always perform perfectly.

ETA: My KA1 has uneven colour if the Natural Light slider is set high. Nevertheless, by a long distance, it has been the most enjoyable reader I've ever owned. I've found it a joy to read on for the last 2 years. It was worth every penny, flaws or not.

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-04-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #21
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
There could also be people who don't use the front lighting, or use it together with natural day light, room light / lamp light. In those situations, the lighting issues would barely be evident, if at all.

Last edited by k9reeder; 11-04-2018 at 06:19 PM. Reason: a word
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:36 AM   #22
asleyam
Enthusiast
asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle voyage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One
My just delivered Forma also has the bluish/purplish greyish strip. It was manufactured in Taiwan, preordered from the Australian Kobo store, shipped from Hong Kong.
No flickering that I can detect.

I expect that if all the millions of formas were lined up along the equator, every one of them would show it's own unique genetically predetermined family trait of light strip. Some darker, some lighter - but the hardware genes will always be dominant to the recessive software. Which explains why factory resets for hardware lighting issues are useless. At least they have been in my several years worth of kobo defective screen lighting ereader adventures.

I will test the reader tonight in the dark before deciding to enter the kobo lottery. Again.
asleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:40 AM   #23
ivanvt
ivanvt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Likebook Mars
Got my Kobo Forma here in NZ with the same greyish strip. i will hold to the Forma for a few months until the issue gets fixed via software (if possible) or a hardware revision gets released.
ivanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:45 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I hope I get the Forma that is featured in the video on the Kobo website. That one looks pretty good and doesn't appear to have the problem.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:52 AM   #25
rma
rma began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Light issues

Hi,

I am living in Germany, bought the Forma in the Netherlands because you can not buy it in Germany.

If you look closely at the pictures the Forma has 4 gray bars forming a border (pushed up the contrast to enhance visibility). The interesting thing is, that this border is equal to the dark border shown in the settings dialogue. Maybe it's some kind of burn in effect from the factory tests?

That could be a reason why sometimes a factory reset solves the problem and sometimes not.
rma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:15 AM   #26
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rma View Post

Maybe it's some kind of burn in effect from the factory tests?

That could be a reason why sometimes a factory reset solves the problem and sometimes not.
Do eInk devices like the Forma experience "burn in?" I have no idea, but I thought the flashing screen refreshes were meant to remove ghosting...?

The lighting issue doesn't appear very evident on your device. Maybe you got a good one! Could post another photo taken in low room light, or dark room, with device lighting at say 50% for comparison?
Old 11-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #27
kansaskyle
Addict

I'm back in the panel-lottery again!

I saw Walmart has the Forma back in stock, and I was able to use the gift card they gave me.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #28
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
It’s a weird thing. When I first turned mine on I was ready to send it back because the bar was really obvious. It’s enough lighter than the KA1 that I thought I’d better at least try reading. By the time I had it set up the way I wanted and done some reading I barely notice it. Now I even if I am deliberately looking for it it’s hard to see. I use light fairly high and rarely in darkness, but after 2 days I’m happy with it for my usage.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #29
rma
rma began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
Could post another photo taken in low room light, or dark room, with device lighting at say 50% for comparison?
sure:

rma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #30
k9reeder
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rma View Post
sure:
[IMG][IMG]
Thank you for posting these. Looks the same as mine, and others posted here. I find the imperfection down the side distracting personally - more so when I think how much I paid.

Still, it's like what Joan Jett & the Blackhearts might have sung about the Forma, "I hate myself for loving you."