Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #166
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Mine finally arrived and I used it for the first time for a really good read yesterday.

I've come from a H2o v1. Ive had it since launch and I loved it. However its on the bulky side and its a bit heavy for one hand holding. It's not really an ergonomic shape and the other half is tired of getting inadvertently (or not) bashed on the head with it when I'm reading at night and he looses a fight with it over pillow space.

It's early days, but the Forma gives me what I really hoped for in terms of hand feel. I did get the cover with it, even so it feels lovely to hold. I'm going for a hold on left hand, lying on left side, hold wedge side approach. It feels nice to hold, with the bend fitting nicely in my palm. I used to get a slight cramp there gripping the h2o for too long, and I think that's eliminated now. It's a lot lighter and feels more premium to me. I've got a bit of resistance and clicking with the buttons but I think that's down to newness. I'll keep an eye on it. The screen is lovely and the comfort light is less glare than I've been used to.

The screen touch also works while wearing my cotton moisturing gloves, which is a nice find. I can't use my phone with them, so unexpected here.

So looking forward to a long term relationship with my new Forma.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #167
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I received my Forma, ordered through Walmart. I like it. I ordered it for my mom, I plan on using it a little, and than passing it on to her.

I do have the issue on the right side, but it isn't that big of an annoyance (for me.)

I like the warmer color using the Natural Light.

I like the buttons. The pressure seems just right for me.

Things I wish they did differently...

Option to lock the orientation. I don't normally need the orientation sensor.

Ability to have both buttons page forward. I'll use the patch for this.

Wish that the last bottom menu option was sticky (it used to stick on older firmware.)

Wish that they would standardize on connectors/cables. The cable end that plugs into the computer has the logo on the wrong side (opposite from the other cables I have). The connection on the device is upside down (opposite from my Glo HD.)

Wish the slide-to-unlock had an option to disable. I'll use the patch for this.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #168
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I
Option to lock the orientation. I don't normally need the orientation sensor.
You can lock it in portrait or landscape (Reading Settings -> Reading Orientation). What you can't do, (and I would like that too) is locking it in either right- or lefthanded mode. I'll scurry over to the patching thread(s) and see what @geek1011 thinks of that.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #169
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
You can lock it in portrait or landscape (Reading Settings -> Reading Orientation). What you can't do, (and I would like that too) is locking it in either right- or lefthanded mode. I'll scurry over to the patching thread(s) and see what @geek1011 thinks of that.
I want the ability to lock it in right/left hand mode. The ability to lock portrait or landscape is also available from the icon at the top of the page (the menu at the top when reading.)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #170
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Wish that they would standardize on connectors/cables. The cable end that plugs into the computer has the logo on the wrong side (opposite from the other cables I have). The connection on the device is upside down (opposite from my Glo HD.)
You didn't receive the reversible cable?
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #171
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
You didn't receive the reversible cable?
Sorta. It is reversible on the micro/Kobo side, but not on the computer side.

I didn't even notice. It doesn't seem to fit too well into the Kobo; one time I had a connect/disconnect happen.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #172
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorta. It is reversible on the micro/Kobo side, but not on the computer side.

I didn't even notice. It doesn't seem to fit too well into the Kobo; one time I had a connect/disconnect happen.
Mine's reversible on both ends. I used it once just to check it out and it was fine. But I'm leery of it so I'm going to stick with regular cables I already have. It's kinda funny that it actually has a logo on one side -- one of my previous Kobo cables was frustrating because it only had a logo on the larger end which I could see easily, and no logo on the small end where I'd have to squint carefully before attaching.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #173
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Mine's reversible on both ends. I used it once just to check it out and it was fine. But I'm leery of it so I'm going to stick with regular cables I already have. It's kinda funny that it actually has a logo on one side -- one of my previous Kobo cables was frustrating because it only had a logo on the larger end which I could see easily, and no logo on the small end where I'd have to squint carefully before attaching.
Well I'll be darned, it is reversible on both sides. I should have tried it instead of just looking at it.

Still, I wish the port on the Kobo was flipped; I have a nice long USB cable for my mother for charging, and I can picture her trying to jam it in upside down.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #174
cycojesus
Enthusiast
cycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Just received mine. I tried locking it in landscape mode while reading a pdf and then I couldn't use the top and bottom menus at all. I could display them by touching the center but no touch was registered in the menus. I had to turn it off completely and restart to be able to access settings and unlock the orientation.
Aside from that annoying bug it's great and seem just big enough to read magazines on (compared with my H2o v2) so that I can ditch the tablet and have a single dedicated reading device.
cycojesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #175
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycojesus View Post
I tried locking it in landscape mode while reading a pdf and then I couldn't use the top and bottom menus at all. I could display them by touching the center but no touch was registered in the menus. I had to turn it off completely and restart to be able to access settings and unlock the orientation.
Is yours updated to the latest Firmware (4.11.xxxx)?

Landscape was completely bugged for me in the original firmware (4.9.xxxx). I pressed the Rotate Lock button + locked myself in Landscape. Presses were "clicking" about 3 inches down-to-the-right of where I pushed (impossible to click menus or change settings while in a book).

But 4.11 corrected it.

Also, the little Rotate Lock button doesn't exist on the Home Screen... it's buried in a menu:

If you can get back to the Home Screen, you can push Menu > Settings > Reading Settings > (Swipe to Page 2) > Reading orientation: and reselect "Auto-Rotate" or "Portrait".

But yeah, update your firmware, and that Landscape issue should be fixed.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-13-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #176
cycojesus
Enthusiast
cycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercycojesus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Is yours updated to the latest Firmware (4.11.xxxx)?

Landscape was completely bugged for me in the original firmware (4.9.xxxx). I pressed the Rotate Lock button + locked myself in Landscape. Presses were "clicking" about 3 inches down-to-the-right of where I pushed (impossible to click menus or change settings while in a book).

But 4.11 corrected it.

Also, the little Rotate Lock button doesn't exist on the Home Screen... it's buried in a menu:

If you can get back to the Home Screen, you can push Menu > Settings > Reading Settings > (Swipe to Page 2) > Reading orientation: and reselect "Auto-Rotate" or "Portrait".

But yeah, update your firmware, and that Landscape issue should be fixed.
Firmware 4.11.11982 (83d4c9392f, 06/11/2018) right now, not completely sure what it was yesterday evening but it updated firmware during setup. Anyway I can't reproduce the problem now.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #177
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Well I'll be darned, it is reversible on both sides. I should have tried it instead of just looking at it.

Still, I wish the port on the Kobo was flipped; I have a nice long USB cable for my mother for charging, and I can picture her trying to jam it in upside down.
Yeah, it seems like almost every device I own is unique, different edge or flipped the opposite way...even from the same company. Hopefully we'll eventually get to all USB-C.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #178
cycojesus
Enthusiast

Battery troubles: 2 or 3 days ago when I took it out of my bag at night to read the battery was empty, it discharged completely in my bag during the day.
This morning again, I put it on my desk yesterday evening and this morning it's at 40% while it was at 96% before reading yesterday evening (lost 4% during the day.)

It's in the official cover. I'm wondering if there could be interference that cause the Forma to wake up inside the cover because of metallic object around, or my phone nearby.

I never had this kind of problem with the H2o2 in the exact same conditions.

Last edited by cycojesus; 11-17-2018 at 04:11 AM. Reason: mention h202
Old 11-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #179
abdirahim
abdirahim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycojesus View Post
Battery troubles: 2 or 3 days ago when I took it out of my bag at night to read the battery was empty, it discharged completely in my bag during the day.
This morning again, I put it on my desk yesterday evening and this morning it's at 40% while it was at 96% before reading yesterday evening (lost 4% during the day.)

It's in the official cover. I'm wondering if there could be interference that cause the Forma to wake up inside the cover because of metallic object around, or my phone nearby.
When you say you left it on your desk overnight, that doesn't sound like anything around it could have interfered. Maybe try: leave it overnight without the cover on, with WIFI off, and see what happens. With auto sleep set to 5 minutes or something.
abdirahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #180
cycojesus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdirahim View Post
When you say you left it on your desk overnight, that doesn't sound like anything around it could have interfered. Maybe try: leave it overnight without the cover on, with WIFI off, and see what happens. With auto sleep set to 5 minutes or something.
I remember putting my phone on the closed Forma. And when it went from 100% to 0% in my bag there was some metal pencils and rulers under it. It's just a wild guess.

This is my fourth Kobo and I've always left the wifi on on them without trouble. I'll try without wifi and cover this night, thanks.

EDIT: read an hour, it went from 100% to 81%. Wifi off, luminosity 1%.

Last edited by cycojesus; 11-17-2018 at 04:43 PM.