Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Wodehouse for today! Suggestions, please.

From the What are we reading? thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I am also on the prowl for modern writers with a Wodehousian feel. Light, silly fun that focuses on just playing with language for the intrinsic pleasure of such silliness. Someithng, iow, that leaves one feeling distinctly gruntled
I'm totally on board with this and I've put on my thinking cap. What suggestions can others make?

My only tiny quibble is that I think Wodehouse is totally modern in feel and language, but it's undeniable that his settings have gotten a little dated.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Sebatian Faulks has written a Jeeves and Wooster book, Jeeves and the Wedding Bells. I'm waiting to finish the Wodehouse Jeeves stories before I pick it up.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-wedding-bells
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I don't know if he could be compared to Wodehouse, but James Lileks is a hoot. His web site is a lot of fun as well. He is a true wordsmith.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't read Stephen Fry yet but the descriptions of some of his books sound like a racier Wodehouse.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
BenG
Home Guard

Kyril Bonfiglioli's books about amoral art dealer Charlie Mortdecai (and his manservant Jock Strapp) might fit the bill, though the humor is darker than Wodehouse'.
Don't Point that Thing at Me (Charlie Mortdecai #1)
Old 10-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Great suggestions to check out, thank you all. Stephen Fry played Jeeves of course - I still picture he and Hugh Laurie in my head when reading the Wooster stories
Old 10-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I don't know if he could be compared to Wodehouse, but James Lileks is a hoot. His web site is a lot of fun as well. He is a true wordsmith.
Lileks is hilarious. Nothing quite compares to his original book, The Gallery of Regrettable Food (which started as his website), which has quite literal laugh out loud moments. Perhaps not Wodehouse, but as commentary on the zeitgeist, he's as good as anyone.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
BenG
Home Guard

It's really difficult to find someone who does everything Wodehouse does so well. Some authors do some aspects well but part of the formula is missing.

My suggestions are really on the order of "If you like Wodehouse, you may like...."

D.E. Stephenson wrote some nice comedies in the 1930s like Miss Buncle's Book and it's sequels.

You may also like Their Finest Hour and a Half by Lissa Evans. It's a behind the scenes look at a production company in WWII London making a propaganda film about "romance and rescue" on the beaches of Dunkirk.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

How about The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett? Absurd, acerbic and hilarious, it has some of the same lightness and invention that I think characterizes Wodehouse.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
How about The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett? Absurd, acerbic and hilarious, it has some of the same lightness and invention that I think characterizes Wodehouse.
I had thought of that but forgot to mention it. Great book.