Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #436
fitz0303
fitz0303 rocks like Gibraltar!fitz0303 rocks like Gibraltar!fitz0303 rocks like Gibraltar!fitz0303 rocks like Gibraltar!fitz0303 rocks like Gibraltar!fitz0303 rocks like Gibraltar!fitz0303 rocks like Gibraltar!fitz0303 rocks like Gibraltar!fitz0303 rocks like Gibraltar!fitz0303 rocks like Gibraltar!fitz0303 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite KPW4
No sorry it didn't work, the version I tried to flash was the rootfs.img from the factory update, the above shows the ouput in the console windows.

The output in the fastboot window is
downloading 'system' ...
OKAY [ 19.197s]
writing 'system'
FAILED (remote: locked command)
finished. total time 19.205s

I then issued ./fastboot continue

and the console drops back into the

Enter fastboot mode, use Ctrl+C to exit. loop

the only option from there is a reboot.

and after the reboot nothing has changed.

fitz
fitz0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #437
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Was the fastboot flash successful? Because if that's the main rootfs, you just need to unpack it from the factory image, and bob's your uncle.
I'm guessing the output:
"locked command: flash:system."
was not good news.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #438
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@j.p.s: Duh! Missed that, thanks .

Not familiar enough with this to say whether it's the flash command that's locked, or a flash of the system fastboot part.

And whether system actually is meaningful here, because I vaguely recall them having different names in older Kindles .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #439
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz0303 View Post
- - - -

for info; the factory updates contain a populated /usr/local/bin directory, which includes the "installHtml" and the "usbnetwork" shell commands amongst many others, the OTA updates do not, in fact there is no /usr/local directory at all in the normal updates.
- - - -
There you go, tripped up by your attempts to speed read this forum.
The above is (one) of the reasons we have been using the "factory use only" builds rather than the customer builds to do the jail breaking since the 4th of July, 2016.

They say that 10% never get the word (or "get the memo").
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
Open the spoiler
Scroll to the "Credits" section
Open that spoiler
Read - slowly at your best comprehension speed, not your highest WPM speed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #440
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There should be a way you can change the device version, since there are "normal" failure paths that could result in it being missing or corrupted.

While it is true that the "Androidized" Kindles do not have a dedicated "Diags" partition (they are no longer "dual boot") the "Diags" features have been moved into the InitRamFS - One of the reasons for the increase in ram and flash.

I don't see where you posted the listing outputs of u-boot features or variables, nor where you check if the "advanced (bist)" u-boot was available from the initial (boot time) build of u-boot.

Also, the Android staged bootloader is present, you might try accessing it.

On responding to the prompts - -
You do not have to be fast, they are "Chicago voter" style prompts - -
Press early, hold for many repeats until your man wins.
(With apologies to Scar Face and his: "Vote early, Vote often" campaigns.

Last edited by knc1; 02-17-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Advert
Old 07-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #441
grant3
grant3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3 View Post
In between both Amazon + forum moderators both working to stifle kindle hacking, I'm going to simply get a nook as my next device.
Sorry for the thread derail, but I just wanted to say that WOW, so happy I got a Kobo to replace my Kindle.

There was some effort to convert my kindle books to epub, but that's trivial compared to complexity of attempting to navigate the jailbreaking necessary just to use Calibre library management.
grant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 AM   #442
Ecas32
Ecas32 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 5.11.2
I am attempting to JB my PW3 5.11.2

Got everything soldered up and when I open PuTTY and boot my Kindle, nothing happens in PuTTY.
Ecas32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:21 AM   #443
Ecas32
Ecas32 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 5.11.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecas32 View Post
I am attempting to JB my PW3 5.11.2

Got everything soldered up and when I open PuTTY and boot my Kindle, nothing happens in PuTTY.
Would like to add that the serial is being seen by computer. When I unplug serial connection, PuTTY errors out and says "Error reading from serial device."
Ecas32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #444
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3 View Post
I'd love to update the original post, but the forum moderators decided to ban the account so...

If you're so inclined, message the mods and ask them 'wtf, mate'. (I did - they ignored me)

In between both Amazon + forum moderators both working to stifle kindle hacking, I'm going to simply get a nook as my next device.
Say what? You are still at "3"?
I would think they would have you at grant86 by now.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #445
TrendMend
TrendMend began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Hey there, I got a PW4 but it came with 5.10.3. I never connected it to the internet so I am assuming it's currently a factory image. I am going to try and see if it works tonight.
TrendMend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:29 AM   #446
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendMend View Post
Hey there, I got a PW4 but it came with 5.10.3. I never connected it to the internet so I am assuming it's currently a factory image. I am going to try and see if it works tonight.
Look here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313438
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:48 AM   #447
ironick
ironick began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Does this method work for PW4 OTA updated with 5.12.1?
ironick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #448
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ironick: I don't think so.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:16 AM   #449
Nitrus
Nitrus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just sharing my findings:
I've been able to do this successfully on my Kindle Voyage (B013), running 5.12.1
The only place where I got stalled a bit is realizing that I needed the K5 JailBreak HotFix as well.

I'm also writing to say that it's possible to do with one of these: PL2303TA serial cable (that's the exact one I have) which are able to handle 3.3V~1.8V logic automatically. It's important that it's the Prolific chip.

I've only confirmed this on the Kindle Voyage so far, so if you're unsure doing this maybe stick with Jim's board

If you do decide to try this out, you need to make sure to NOT connect the ground and VCC to the Kindle (VCC on the Dongle is 3v3 or 5v), only the data pins. As this Dongle outputs 3v3 or 5v depending on the configuration, that's unsuitable for the Kindle - but also unnecessary.
The USB dongle powers itself from its own USB connection, while the Kindle gets its power from its USB cable too.
After which, in some of the steps I just ejected my Kindle but did not unplug it, I found it probably needed the power so the serial link could be maintained.

The reason for writing this is the difference in price honestly, these serial cables are only a few bucks from China - I can see some listings on eBay for $1.5 with free shipping. I already had one on hand and couldn't justify getting or waiting for stock of Jim's board.
Nitrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #450
carlinyos18
carlinyos18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Lucky me, managed to break the debug pins on my PW3. Are there any other traces of rx / tx pins in the board?
carlinyos18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serial jailbreak