Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #46
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
@ral67: FWIW, it turns out I had 1 *day* in-store pickup options around me.

(Or... something. Fnac's website is notoriously terrible).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:01 AM   #47
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
My Elipsa arrived today as scheduled. The package was really hot and had a significant chemical outgas odor. Hopefully nothing delaminated in the Texas heat!
I had a couple of unusual crashes of Calibre after side loading a bunch of books. First time that has ever happened to me (M1 MacBook Pro). All of the books disappeared from the Elipsa. I rebooted the Mac and the Elipsa, then successfully side loaded a book. When I looked on the Elipsa all of the other books I downloaded before the crash were back in place.
Hopefully that was a one off event.
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:57 PM   #48
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Received on Monday as expected. Really like it so far. Surprising discovery is that the stylus from my Dell Inspiron 2in1 laptop also works with it. Buttons and all. So that could be convenient.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #49
elipsajune
elipsajune began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Received on Monday as expected. Really like it so far. Surprising discovery is that the stylus from my Dell Inspiron 2in1 laptop also works with it. Buttons and all. So that could be convenient.
It would be interesting to check if the Microsoft Surface pen works with the Elipsa.
elipsajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #50
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Forma, Libra, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by elipsajune View Post
It would be interesting to check if the Microsoft Surface pen works with the Elipsa.
I just checked with the Surface Book 2 pen and it can write on the Elipsa; both pens can erase the other one's trace as well as their own, but the Surface pen has only one (erase) button, and is less comfortable for writing on the Elipsa; it is difficult to draw a smooth continuous curve on the Elipsa with it, which makes erasing iffy. I think this is because Elipsa's surface is not as smooth as the Surface's surface.

The Surface pen is perfect for drawing on the Surface, where it glides effortlessly. In sketchbook, it works better than Elipsa's.

I conclude one should use the appropriate pen for each device - using the other is not satisfactory.

EDIT: I should add that the Kobo pen is more comfortable to hold, and its erase button much more comfortable than the Surface's.

Last edited by anacreon; 06-30-2021 at 02:12 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:14 PM   #51
elipsajune
elipsajune began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I just checked with the Surface Book 2 pen and it can write on the Elipsa; both pens can erase the other one's trace as well as their own, but the Surface pen has only one (erase) button, and is less comfortable for writing on the Elipsa; it is difficult to draw a smooth continuous curve on the Elipsa with it, which makes erasing iffy. I think this is because Elipsa's surface is not as smooth as the Surface's surface.

The Surface pen is perfect for drawing on the Surface, where it glides effortlessly. In sketchbook, it works better than Elipsa's.

I conclude one should use the appropriate pen for each device - using the other is not satisfactory.

EDIT: I should add that the Kobo pen is more comfortable to hold, and the erase button also much more comfortable than the Surface's.
Wow, great news! I imagine that Kobo engineered the tip of the stylus to work better with the rough screen of the Elipsa, compared to the usual tablet pen that is meant for a smooth glass surface. Anyway it's good news because we at least know the active pen technology that the Elipsa is using.
elipsajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #52
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
The Dell stylus is almost identical to Kobo's. It's the Dell Active Pen - PN350M.

And here's way more info than anybody but me probably cares about:
The Dell is slightly shorter and has a dimple in the back end which makes it easier to pull out of its slot. The nib has a little less give to it, but is the same smooth hard plastic cone-shape. (Not interchangeable, the part that goes into the stylus is different.) They feel the same writing on either device. I like to hold the Dell a little more because it has a thin rubbery coating on the shaft as opposed to plain metal on the Kobo.

Last edited by lkmiller; 07-01-2021 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Fix link
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote