Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #196
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Real pirates just screen capture and OCR, or more often use an ARC of the paperback, chop spine, scan, OCR.
Not any more. Now they just deDRM retail copies and upload them. Scanning and OCR-ing is still done with PDF, but no longer with ordinary ebooks.

Before you ask how I know, yes, I've visited a couple of well-organized pirate sites, because it's easy to see new and interesting releases sorted by genre there, with synopsis and all. Much easier than on any regular bookstore sites. Of course I then go and buy the books, once I've found something to my liking. Some of those webpages don't even store the files themselves, only link to them on various shady file-sharing sites. But I like the way they organize their releases.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:00 AM   #197
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I upgraded from 4.23 to 5.17 yesterday, added the new tools, and everything works fine. I just hope it stays that way.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #198
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not any more. Now they just deDRM retail copies and upload them. Scanning and OCR-ing is still done with PDF, but no longer with ordinary ebooks.
I think the point we agree on, is what ever the popular mechanism of the moment is to defeat DRM, the actual DRM most inconveniences ordinary people and is no barrier to criminals.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #199
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think the point we agree on, is what ever the popular mechanism of the moment is to defeat DRM, the actual DRM most inconveniences ordinary people and is no barrier to criminals.
Unfortunately, inconveniencing ordinary people who would like to share their books with friends and relatives provides justification for most publishers and sellers to keep DRM around, even if it does nothing to block criminals.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:09 AM   #200
Reader2021
Reader2021 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I won't need KFX going forward. I had a few dozen books from Amazon on my Kindle Paperwhite. When I bought books, I sent them directly to the Kindle. But now I want all my books to be device independent so I used Caliber "Save to Disk" to copy them all to my PC. They are in KFX format. It would have been easier and quicker if I could convert them from KFX to EPUB on Calibre. Since it wouldn’t work, I had to download them all from Amazon in AZW3 format first then convert to EPUB. It was only a “one time” task.

So, if I ever buy any more books from Amazon, I’ll download them in AZW3 format to PC first, then convert and load to Kindle or another device. 😊
Reader2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2022, 03:51 PM   #201
zormanze
zormanze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I installed Calibre 4.23.0 and DeDRM plugin 6.8.0 and when I add a book from a folder Adobe Digital Editions folder the DRM is not removed. Do I have to do something more? Thank you!
zormanze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:05 PM   #202
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Note that the method in the first post isn't needed now that it's been ported to Py3.

Assuming you can use a newer version of Calibre, there's a newer fork, NoDRM (repository is called DeDRM_tools).

For more help you'll need to ask elsewhere.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-24-2022 at 09:21 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:56 PM   #203
sososimps
sososimps began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus and Mac computer
Nov 2022 issue again

Calibre has just stopped deDRM-ing for me in the last week (Nov 2022). Have the latest Calibre (6.9), and latest deDRM (7.2.1) too. Anyone got a fix for this? I'm on Mac Ventura.
sososimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:04 PM   #204
sososimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sososimps View Post
Calibre has just stopped deDRM-ing for me in the last week (Nov 2022). Have the latest Calibre (6.9), and latest deDRM (7.2.1) too. Anyone got a fix for this? I'm on Mac Ventura.
Forgot to mention - I tried downgrading to Calibre 5._ and 4._ and deDRM still doesn't work.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:06 PM   #205
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
See the post above yours which I’ve copied. NoDrm is at 10.0.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post

Assuming you can use a newer version of Calibre, there's a newer fork, NoDRM (repository is called DeDRM_tools).

For more help you'll need to ask elsewhere.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:04 PM   #206
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You have the wrong version of DeDRM. You need to install 10.0.3. That's the version that works with Calibre 6.

Here is the URL to use to get 10.0.3 and any future updates.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:05 AM   #207
sososimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have the wrong version of DeDRM. You need to install 10.0.3. That's the version that works with Calibre 6.

Here is the URL to use to get 10.0.3 and any future updates.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
I had downloaded 10.0.3, but it hadn't loaded properly in Calibre. I've now managed to get it loaded in Calibre, but it still doesn't deDRM.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:12 AM   #208
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I had downloaded 10.0.3, but it hadn't loaded properly in Calibre. I've now managed to get it loaded in Calibre, but it still doesn't deDRM.
Detailed help with DRM removal isn't allowed at MobileRead. Please ask at the place you got the software.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:07 PM   #209
HorstLinke1978
HorstLinke1978 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10
Good evening,

I have installed calibre, version 6.11.0 and DeDRM version 10.0.3 and am now trying to import an e-book in order to be able to convert a chapter.

And now I get the error message, what am I doing wrong? I read that I should try to download it via USB using a Kindle. Which device is recommended?

calibre, version 6.11.0
ERROR: Book could not be loaded: Book could not be opened: C:\Users\Linke\Calibre Library\Unknown\CR!E9VDQP3BQ11SSC6Z2BZGCXK3N0FG.az w (3)\CR!E9VDQP3BQ11SSC6Z2BZGCXK3N0FG - Unknown.md. Click "View Details" for more information.

Book conversion failed: C:\Users\Linke\Calibre library\Unknown\CR!E9VDQP3BQ11SSC6Z2BZGCXK3N0FG.az w (3)\CR!E9VDQP3BQ11SSC6Z2BZGCXK3N0FG - Unknown.md with error:
InputFormatPlugin: TXT Input running
on C:\Users\Linke\Calibre library\Unknown\CR!E9VDQP3BQ11SSC6Z2BZGCXK3N0FG.az w (3)\CR!E9VDQP3BQ11SSC6Z2BZGCXK3N0FG - Unknown.md
The file extension indicates a specific formatting. Force formatting type: markdown
Language not specified
Creator not specified
Create file list...
IgnoreFile('Could not read from file: C: \\Users\\Linke\\AppData\\Local\\calibre-cache\\ev2\\t\\c0-kf8ncwcr\\a�q��T��\x1a\\�|�\x14Ę�q�2J�m�&e�[)3�C\x15Fq�4�S�|�}ON�], ֣A�M�B�E�A�)�y�����\x1e����\x12MNIuJ�r""<�SO67�j�� >���x12E�\x1b\x1eP\x0eM�v\kG�L�Ǥ�Y��r+\x12z��x07�� ����x1c\x17\x12dX�$��w\'�|)�x1b��g��*��\x7fz �Z�! ���o�r}�b�xGc�A� with error: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: \'C: \\\\Users\\\\Linke\\\\AppData\\\\Local\\\\calibre-cache\\\\ev2\\\\t\\\\c0-kf8ncwcr\\\\a�q��T��\\x1a\\\\�|�\\x14Ę�q�2J�m�&e�[)3�C\\x15Fq�4�S�|�}ON�], ֣A�M�B�E�A�)�y���\\x1e����\\x12MNIuJ�r""<�SO67�j�� >��\\x12E�\\x1b\\x1eP\\x0eM�v\\\\kG�L�Ǥ�Y��r+\\x12 z��\\x07���\\x1c\\x17\\x12dX�$��w\\\'�|)�\\x1b��g� �*��\\x7fz�Z�! ���o�r}�b�xGc�A�\')
The pipe worker could not be executed with the following command: from calibre.srv.render_book import viewer_main; viewer_main()
Traceback (last call):
File "runpy.py", line 196, in _run_module_as_main
File "runpy.py", line 86, in _run_code
File "site.py", line 83, in <module>
File "site.py", line 78, in main
File "site.py", line 50, in run_entry_point
File "calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 196, in main
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "calibre\srv\render_book.py", line 821, in viewer_main
File "calibre\srv\render_book.py", line 812, in render_for_viewer
File "calibre\srv\render_book.py", line 789, in render
File "calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 62, in extract_book
File "calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 242, in __call__.
File "calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\txt_input.p y", line 310, in convert
File "calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\html_input. py", line 90, in convert
file "calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\html_input. py", line 153, in create_oebbook
File "calibre\ebooks\html\input.py", line 287, in get_filelist
file "calibre\ebooks\html\input.py", line 265, in traverse
File "calibre\ebooks\html\input.py", line 109, in __init__.
ValueError: embedded null character
HorstLinke1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:12 PM   #210
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@HorstLinke1978 go back to Amazon and download the eBook again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dedrm