Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Monday the Internet goes down

Thanks to Apple, the Internet will crash big time on Monday June 21, 2010.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Argh..I have 3 iPhones to update...and Apple makes you download it 3 times.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I'm not even going to bother trying on Monday. It's not worth the aggravation.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I don't think I've ever updated my phone on the day of release. As Tamara said, it can't possibly be worth the aggravation. In this case, I don't even have to worry though. Our two resident iPhones are both 1st generation--officially obsolete! LOL
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I'm not even going to bother trying on Monday. It's not worth the aggravation.
A big +1

I am not even going to update my iPhone, (it's JB) and I really don't care anyway..... Since the iPad, my iPhone is used...well.... As a phone.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
I don't think I've ever updated my phone on the day of release. As Tamara said, it can't possibly be worth the aggravation. In this case, I don't even have to worry though. Our two resident iPhones are both 1st generation--officially obsolete! LOL
VictoriaP, how are the touchscreens holding up on your 1st gen iPhones? My son was using mine for a while, but he said the touchscreen lost sensitivity around the "slide to unlock" area of the screen, making it difficult to use.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Are you doing it on three separate computers? It shouldn't redownload for each new device if they're being synced on the same machine.

Regardless, you can always update one phone and find the downloaded firmware; then option-click "Update" when you hook up the other phones and point it to the firmware.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
VictoriaP, how are the touchscreens holding up on your 1st gen iPhones? My son was using mine for a while, but he said the touchscreen lost sensitivity around the "slide to unlock" area of the screen, making it difficult to use.
Ooh, I remember that issue! I had it come up sporadically for a time last year; oddly, it was most notable on a sudoku app I was using. No idea what finally cleared it, but it hasn't affected things in quite a while.

I don't use a screen protector, so I find I do need to scrub at the screen with a bit of microfiber pretty regularly (same with the iPad). It tends to be less responsive when it's heavily fingerprinted. Other than that, the main issue is how incredibly slow the processing is at this point. Could just be the contrast to the iPad, could be that it's pretty close to capacity, but it definitely drags. I'm looking forward to the new one on Thursday for that reason!

Still, they've held up very well. Hubby has the 4 GB, bought just before the price drop that first summer, so his is now 3 years old. Neither has given us any trouble really, ever--we considered upgrading to the 3GS, but there just wasn't enough compelling reason to do so. I'll miss my $20 unlimited data + 200 texts though with the switch--going 3G means a $15 jump for that combo! (yes, we're grandfathered in for unlimited)
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
kjk

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
Are you doing it on three separate computers? It shouldn't redownload for each new device if they're being synced on the same machine.

Regardless, you can always update one phone and find the downloaded firmware; then option-click "Update" when you hook up the other phones and point it to the firmware.
Yes, 3 computers-but as others have noted-no real hurry to update.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
A big +1

I am not even going to update my iPhone, (it's JB) and I really don't care anyway..... Since the iPad, my iPhone is used...well.... As a phone.
I'm updating after the initial furor because I want iBooks and Folders.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:05 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks to Apple, the Internet will crash big time on Monday June 21, 2010.
I seriously doubt that. The OS update is small fry compared with, say, the release of XP SP2.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i'll be waiting. all my iphones are jail broken and i won't lose that. until the dev team releases updated jailbreak tools i won't let my old iphones update.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I seriously doubt that. The OS update is small fry compared with, say, the release of XP SP2.
Or the Victoria Secret Fall Fashion Show webcast, for that matter.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it wasn't for AT&T not knowing how to handle a data load (see how poor their 3G really is), the net would have crashed on iPhone 4 upgrade day.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote