Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
garywitscher
Enthusiast
garywitscher began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
DRM activation without network support

I've been unable to open DRM'd epub library books with my DR800SG. I can read them fine with my Linux laptop however. So, I guessed that maybe the Adobe activation was not correct. Figuring that I had little to loose, I removed the activation. I thought I'd just re-enter the data to see if that would help. However, now I know that Adobe activation uses the network connection. Now I can't activate the Adobe DRM, because there no longer is a network to connect to.

This makes me wonder how the DR800S handles DRM activation.

I doubt that Adobe offers support for Linux users running ADE under wine. Can anyone point me to a method for reactivating my Adobe DRM?
garywitscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
http://updates.irexnet.com/beta/dr80...-dr800s-en.zip

Check this manual out.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
jm35
jm35 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywitscher View Post
I've been unable to open DRM'd epub library books with my DR800SG. I can read them fine with my Linux laptop however. ...
See Reply #9 in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79857 . Mickey330 posted that the key is to authorize your DR800SG through the ADE program on your computer rather than on the device itself.
jm35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I didn't know it's possible to view encrypted epubs with the new Irex devices.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
garywitscher
Enthusiast

Thanks to both repliers.

I'm not sure what specifically is required to get this to work on the DR800SG, but here's what I did.

I deleted the ".adobe-digital-editions" folder on the SD card of my DR and removed the line in the /system/dr.ini file pertaining to my adobe username. Then I made sure the DR was mounted before I started ADE (wine or in XP both worked). Once started ADE asked if I wanted to activate the device. After that I could move the books to the DR with ADE and read them on the DR.

I really appreciate the helping hand, thanks again.

(I still wonder why it all has to be done with Windows software however. The DR used to be able to handle this on it's own when it had a network connection using the linux software that it has. And I'd much rather use linux software.)
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
garywitscher
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I didn't know it's possible to view encrypted epubs with the new Irex devices.
I don't think these books are encrypted necessarily. They have adobe DRM protection is all. This stops epub readers from loading the book when the user has not registered an account with Adobe and enabled the reader using that account.

I suppose the DRM could be forcibly removed, although I don't know how to do that.