Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
ccayer
ccayer is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Axim X50v, JetBook Lite
Modifying column display

I'm on my 2nd day with Calibre, and am really impressed with all the thought put into it (not to mention the hard work by everyone involved)

Is it possible to modify how Calibre displays the series column? I'm partial to "Series Name 01" instead of "Series Name [1]".

I'm also wondering if the Published column can be adjusted to just display the year.

Thanks!
ccayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccayer View Post
Is it possible to modify how Calibre displays the series column? I'm partial to "Series Name 01" instead of "Series Name [1]".
No, but it sorts in the Calibre Library as if it has the preceding and following (01.50) zeros.

You can also change the template on the save to disk option or send to device. The following template would create...

{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}

/Author_directory/Series_directory/book_file

/Last Name, First Name/Series/01-title.epub
/Last Name, First Name/Series/02-title.epub
/Last Name, First Name/Series/03-title.epub

The extension would be whatever book format you use. Also changing the number from 0>2s to 0>3s will get you 2 preceding zeros. This might be needed for series that go over 100 books. The only problem is if you have a 01.5 Calibre doesn't allow for extra zeroes to the right of the decimal point on save. In those situations manual editing might be needed.

Again the Calibre Library sorts fine on large collections, including decimal places.

Quote:
I'm also wondering if the Published column can be adjusted to just display the year.
No. The beta test in the sticky above has custom columns and even in the current beta test you can't change it to year only.

I hope I came close to answering your questions.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The beta test in the sticky above has custom columns and even in the current beta test you can't change it to year only.
Beta 0.6.91 (just available) supports custom formatting of user-defined date columns.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
ccayer

Quote:
You can also change the template on the save to disk option or send to device. The following template would create...

{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}
That's good to know, since I use the save to disk feature to output books for my Axim.

I was just hoping there was some way to get rid of the brackets [] is the Series column.

Quote:
Beta 0.6.91 (just available) supports custom formatting of user-defined date columns.
Sweet! I'll just use that instead of the Published column.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Sweet! I'll just use that instead of the Published column.
There are implications to doing that. The published column is written out into book metadata when creating/saving books. That won't be true of custom columns.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A 'tweak' has been added to the beta to control the format of the publication date field. Once the change has been incorporated, you can control the format by editing the file tweaks.py. The folder containing the file can be opened by going to preferences/advanced and clicking 'open calibre configuration directory'.

Documentation is in {Calibre install directory}/resources.default_tweaks.py

What it says:
Code:
# Format to be used for publication date
#  A string controlling how the publication date is displayed in the GUI
#  d    the day as number without a leading zero (1 to 31)
#  dd    the day as number with a leading zero (01 to 31)
#  ddd    the abbreviated localized day name (e.g. 'Mon' to 'Sun').
#  dddd    the long localized day name (e.g. 'Monday' to 'Qt::Sunday').
#  M    the month as number without a leading zero (1-12)
#  MM    the month as number with a leading zero (01-12)
#  MMM    the abbreviated localized month name (e.g. 'Jan' to 'Dec').
#  MMMM    the long localized month name (e.g. 'January' to 'December').
#  yy    the year as two digit number (00-99)
#  yyyy    the year as four digit number
#  For example, given the date of 9 Jan 2010, the following formats show
#  MMM yyyy ==> Jan 2010    yyyy ==> 2010       dd MMM yyyy ==> 09 Jan 2010
#  MM/yyyy ==> 01/2010      d/M/yy ==> 9/1/10   yy ==> 10
# default if not set: MMM yyyy
gui_pubdate_display_format = 'MMM yyyy'
Old 05-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
ccayer

Quote:
A 'tweak' has been added to the beta to control the format of the publication date field. Once the change has been incorporated, you can control the format by editing the file tweaks.py. The folder containing the file can be opened by going to preferences/advanced and clicking 'open calibre configuration directory'.
I'm amazed how quickly the development of Calibre is moving. I've been here less than a week, and there have already been 2 beta and one release updates. Thanks for all the time you guys are putting into such an awesome project.

I'm jumping on the latest beta now to try the new 'tweak'. By any chance, is there an existing way to have a column show the book format?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm jumping on the latest beta now to try the new 'tweak'.
I see that you have a jetbook. Could you try the new 'Book On Device' feature? I had to change the Jetbook driver, but I have no way to test it. Test it by plugging in the device. Even better would be to re-copy the books so that the id is added to the name.
Quote:
By any chance, is there an existing way to have a column show the book format?
No, but there are at least 2 workarounds. 1) you can search for a format and see all books with it, and 2) you open the book details pane, and see the information directly there for the selected book.

Out of curiosity, what would you do with such a column? And how should it behave if a book has multiple formats?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
ccayer

Quote:
I see that you have a jetbook. Could you try the new 'Book On Device' feature? I had to change the Jetbook driver, but I have no way to test it. Test it by plugging in the device. Even better would be to re-copy the books so that the id is added to the name.
I lent the Jetbook to a friend over the weekend, but should be getting it back in the next day or so. I'll gladly test it out as soon as I get it back.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what would you do with such a column? And how should it behave if a book has multiple formats?
I saw the formats in the book details pane, and I figured the column display would show the same thing, the formats separated by commas. I had the Axim (with uBook reader and MS Reader) for a LONG time before my recently purchased JetBook Lite, and have a large variety of ebook formats. I'm used to having to know which format a book is in to know which reader to use it on. I know Calibre takes care of that automatically, but I'd still like to see what format the "old books" are in in case I want to read them on the Axim.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I know Calibre takes care of that automatically, but I'd still like to see what format the "old books" are in in case I want to read them on the Axim.
Use the Luggage tag, there is a Formats section. Use That with other criteria from the "Tag"

Formats:EPUB and author:jones
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #11
ccayer

OK, Calibre's back and running. I connected the Jetbook, and after 4 min, 18 sec, it finished getting the list of 373 books from the device. Actually, it failed a few times until I increased the Sleep option of the Jetbook from 3 minutes to 10 minutes. The entire time it was reading the list of books on the Jetbook, the progress indicator in the Jobs window was constantly running from 0 to 100 percent, over and over.

Both the books in internal memory, as well as the books on the SD card listed correctly; some showing in the Library column, others (the ones that came with the Jetbook) not.

I sent a "new" book to the Jetbook and allowed Calibre to automatically convert it to epub format, and the Library field listed it correctly. Unfortunately, the Jetbook didn't like the epub file at all. I then used "Save To Disk" to dump the book in epub format to the SD card directly, which the Jetbook had no problems viewing. The original file was a LIT; the single file created during the first transfer came out in the format "author name#title_of_book.epub(170)" The "save-to-disk" option created "Author Name - Series Series Index - Title" .epub, .jpg, and .opf files. (I changed the output naming scheme in the preferences)

If there's anything else you'd like me to try, please let me know.

Is there a way to import the books that came with the Jetbook to the Library? (Short of "saving-to-disk", then re-importing them?)

Thanks!

Last edited by ccayer; 05-11-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, Calibre's back and running. I connected the Jetbook, and after 4 min, 18 sec, it finished getting the list of 373 books from the device.
There are some things we are doing that should help with this speed.
Quote:
The original file was a LIT; the single file created during the first transfer came out in the format "author name#title_of_book.epub(170)"
That is what I needed to see. My change is broken. Will be fixed.
Quote:
Is there a way to import the books that came with the Jetbook to the Library? (Short of "saving-to-disk", then re-importing them?)
Nope.

The easiest way is import them directly from the 'drive' for the jetbook.

Thank you again for taking the time to help!