Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Question New here with LOTS of questions

Hi there,
My name is Carol and I'm looking to purchase a Sony PRS-600 at tax time. I have a whole bunch of questions though, I'm hoping that someone can help me.
First, is there any restriction on the books you can buy for it in Canada and is there a way to work around it (if there is) by having a US address like you can on the Amazon store?
Second, Does it have folders to organize the content you have on it?
Can you read ANY PDF on it or are there certian criteria they have to meet? (I'm VERY computer illiterate, have no idea about stuff like that.)
How do you get Google books? Couldn't find anything on the Google books website that gave the option of downloading.
Are there other websites that you can buy books from?
Can you get all the same books for it that you can for a Kindle, even if you have to pay more, is the same content available?
Can you take notes on the PDF's you're able to put on it?
Also, I can't find an NKJV Bible to put on it, that's what our church uses and I'd love to have one to take notes with, but I can't find one on the Sony book site, is there someplace else that I can look for one?

Thank you for your time, I hope that I've been able to ask the questions I have the right way.
Have a wonderful day,
Carol
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to mobileread, Carol.

Sony owners will post with their experiences, in the meantime, look at our wiki page here on the 600.

Enjoy

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS600
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
Hi there,
My name is Carol and I'm looking to purchase a Sony PRS-600 at tax time. I have a whole bunch of questions though, I'm hoping that someone can help me.
First, is there any restriction on the books you can buy for it in Canada and is there a way to work around it (if there is) by having a US address like you can on the Amazon store?
I'm not in Canada (UK for me) but I'd expect that you'd find the same selection as you can get here. Amazon tends to sell only for the Kindle, which has its own format, but Borders sells in Sony-compatible formats and there may be other Canadian online booksellers.

Quote:
Second, Does it have folders to organize the content you have on it?
Not as such. You can tag books to categorise them, and the reader presents them as Collections (which look like folders to us ordinary folks). Both the Sony Ebooklibrary software and Calibre enable you do categorise. You can put books in more than one category (Novels and Science Fiction, for example).

If you haven't come across Calibre, have a look at it. It's a free alternative to the Sony software with more features, like the ability to convert ebooks from one format to another. There's a forum for Calibre right here, and the author participates.

Quote:
Can you read ANY PDF on it or are there certian criteria they have to meet? (I'm VERY computer illiterate, have no idea about stuff like that.)
You can read pretty much any pdf. The limitations are around the complexity of images in the pdf, and its native page size - because the screen is only 6". Complex pages might take a while to refresh. I wouldn't want to review the designs for the Large Hadron Collider on a Reader, but I'll happily read normal ones (e.g. I have the Sony User Manual on my Reader and it displays fine).

Quote:
How do you get Google books? Couldn't find anything on the Google books website that gave the option of downloading.
You can download only the books that Google has rights to or are in the Public Domain. If you search for books and display either Public Domain only or Full View only, then open a book, you'll see a Download option at top right.

Quote:
Are there other websites that you can buy books from?
Here are some that I've found:

ebooks.com
epubbooks.com
worldpublclibrary.org
gutenberg.org

In addition, all the online booksellers offer ebooks.

Quote:
Can you get all the same books for it that you can for a Kindle, even if you have to pay more, is the same content available?
More or less. Publishers are slow to release ebook editions and what Amazon has for Kindle is pretty much what everyone else has for epub, mobi etc. The advantage of the Sony is that it'll handle pretty much any format so, actually, you have more choice than with the Kindle. And Calibre will convert any format that the Sony can't handle.

Quote:
Can you take notes on the PDF's you're able to put on it?
Yes

Quote:
Also, I can't find an NKJV Bible to put on it, that's what our church uses and I'd love to have one to take notes with, but I can't find one on the Sony book site, is there someplace else that I can look for one?
Not sure this is available as an ebook. The best I can suggest is a Google search.

Quote:
Thank you for your time, I hope that I've been able to ask the questions I have the right way.
Have a wonderful day,
Carol
Hope this helps
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Talking

Thank you so much for all those answers!!! I am new to this and it just confuses me. My sister is getting a Kindle, but I'm a homeschooling mom to 4 and the ability that the 600 gives you to take notes and such is just too goo to pass up! Also, alot of the ebooks that I can get for his school are pdf's and not having to PRINT them all is just too wonderful!
Thank you for your help!
Carol
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote