Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
ALinkToTao
ALinkToTao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Talking Best kobo for the price?

I'm definitely not ashamed of buying old used technology so long as it still serves well. I want to buy a kobo but I'm not sure which I want. I want one that is fast enough to read pdf documents with koreader. I don't care about a backlight, but I do like the Aura one backlight from what I've seen if i was to have a lit reader. I also like the ability on the old models to expand the internal and/or external memory.

So all things considered, which kobo is the best of all worlds here? Price, maybe SD expansion, ability to read pdf with koreader?

Thanks in advance for your help.
ALinkToTao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
If you're going to be reading a lot of PDF files, go with the Kobo Aura One. It may cost more, but the PDF experience is so much better on the larger screen.

I've got both the original 6" Aura and the One. Huge difference when reading PDF files. Of course, the Onyx Max is even better in that regard... but not quite as portable.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #3
ALinkToTao

I really appreciated your response. I was leaning towards the one due to the backlight already. Thanks so much for your input.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you're leaning to it because of the adjustable temperature frontlight (not just the presence of any frontlight) consider the new H2O Edition 2. The light temperature is still adjustable, and the price is lower because it's a little smaller. As far as I can tell, you may also be less likely to have green spots in the lighting.

I'm assuming that by "with koreader" you mean you're going to reflow the PDFs, so having the largest possible size is not particularly critical.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If you're leaning to it because of the adjustable temperature frontlight (not just the presence of any frontlight) consider the new H2O Edition 2. The light temperature is still adjustable, and the price is lower because it's a little smaller. As far as I can tell, you may also be less likely to have green spots in the lighting.

I'm assuming that by "with koreader" you mean you're going to reflow the PDFs, so having the largest possible size is not particularly critical.
Currently, KOReader does not run on the H2O2. That is being worked on and when it will be fixed is anybody's guess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #6
ALinkToTao

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Currently, KOReader does not run on the H2O2. That is being worked on and when it will be fixed is anybody's guess.

That's good to know. I apprecoated all of your input.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:21 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, didn't know that! I thought the firmwares were similar enough that there wasn't that much friction. Corrected.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Sorry, didn't know that! I thought the firmwares were similar enough that there wasn't that much friction. Corrected.
The problem is the touch driver needed is different on the H2O2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
There are differences, but nearly all are for the hardware differences. So, there are different drivers in each package. And there are different kernels to for the different hardware. But, most of the OS and all the application related files are the same.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
card, cost, kobo