Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I think the Kindle DX is a wonderful device, but I think it is overpriced for what you get. Even the ipad is pushing it at $500, but at least you are getting much more than a reader.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #17
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I think the Kindle DX is a wonderful device, but I think it is overpriced for what you get. Even the ipad is pushing it at $500, but at least you are getting much more than a reader.
Yeah, Kindle DXs are not cheap.

The advantage of the Kindle DX is of course the battery and that you can certainly read outdoors without being worry about glare, etc. For someone who is looking for better portability and better battery life and nothing more, is a good choice, actually maybe the only one, hence the reason for that price; I think that Amazon folks knew that and priced it that way. However, for PDFs, you can't beat the iPad.

To be honest with you, I thought it twice before buying my Kindle DXG but right now there is no other eink device with that size and pearl screen that allow me to read my computer books without cutting phrases or having to scroll down and up. I also weighted the fact that most of my computer books are only available at Amazon, so that was the final push.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-02-2011 at 02:45 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #18
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
I recently went through the whole tablet vs. eink device dilemma. I chose an eink device and I'm happy I did.

If you go tablet, don't forget to keep an eye on some of the nicer android tablets appearing or the nook color which is a very nice option.

If you are thinking DX, don't forget to take a look at pocketbook's 9" readers which are really nice.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #19
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Yeah, Kindle DXs are not cheap.

The advantage of the Kindle DX is of course the battery and that you can certainly read outdoors without being worry about glare, etc. For someone who is looking for better portability and better battery life and nothing more, is a good choice, actually maybe the only one, hence the reason for that price; I think that Amazon folks knew that and priced it that way. However, for PDFs, you can't beat the iPad.

To be honest with you, I thought it twice before buying my Kindle DXG but right now there is no other eink device with that size and pearl screen that allow me to read my computer books without cutting phrases or having to scroll down and up. I also weighted the fact that most of my computer books are only available at Amazon, so that was the final push.
In your opinion, how does the Kindle DXG compare to the iPad with regard to randomly accessing parts of a document?

If have found the nook classic and Kindle to be more cumbersome than the iPad when jumping around in a book. They are great for sequentially reading through material, but hopping from page 4 to page 75 to page 30 (which can happen with technical docs) just felt more laborious.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
In your opinion, how does the Kindle DXG compare to the iPad with regard to randomly accessing parts of a document?

If have found the nook classic and Kindle to be more cumbersome than the iPad when jumping around in a book. They are great for sequentially reading through material, but hopping from page 4 to page 75 to page 30 (which can happen with technical docs) just felt more laborious.
I am going to be honest with you, I don't like iPads. I respect iPad lovers, but I Apple devices are "too locked" for my personal taste.

Having said that and based on today's market options, I've not found a better PDF reader than an iPad. I've seen the device in action at work, iPad stores and online, and that PDF software is just good. But the problem is that the thing is too big! There are no external ports like SD cards or similar and is LCD. I know is not a problem for others, but it is for me.

Jumping from pages on a Kindle DXG is more laborious, agree, but on my case, I was also looking for a eink device that allow me to read my SQL books. Kindle DXG allows me to do that and it is more portable and give me more battery life.

The PDFs I have are for my "legacy" IT or computer books. I do have the pbook version but wanted to carry one that with the rest of ebooks that now I have. I could do that with the iPad but I won't have the portability and battery life that the DXG gives me. The Kindle 3 is faster but too small for my books (breaks the lines and can't read the SQL code) Simila situation with my Galaxy Tab but it is certainly faster than my Kindle 3 when reading PDFs.
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #21
gczobel
Enthusiast
gczobel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, Kindle DXG
I received yesterday my Kindle Dx and I'm very happy with my choice.
The screen is amazing... specially if you compare with my old faithful PRS-500 (still working)

I used an iPad and is an amazing table... but for reading there is nothing (for now) like e-ink.

Thank you all to help me on my decision!
gczobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #22
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gczobel View Post
I received yesterday my Kindle Dx and I'm very happy with my choice.
The screen is amazing... specially if you compare with my old faithful PRS-500 (still working)

I used an iPad and is an amazing table... but for reading there is nothing (for now) like e-ink.

Thank you all to help me on my decision!

Enjoy your reader ...

Tags
ipad or kindle