Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-16-2022, 05:56 AM   #1
mzso
Enthusiast
mzso began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Copied settings to upgrade portabe, horrible results on doing the same conversion

Hello!

I copied the "Calibre Library" and "Calibre Settings" folder to the latest version (5.43). I tested with this sample file I found online.
  • I didn't change any settings and I verified that they are the same, but with the new version the sizes are all wrong.
  • Also equally troublesome (to me) is that I get this white border while viewing. I View PDFs on desktop with the background set to a darker shade in the viewer. This as shown fails for pdf created by the new calibre. I can't imagine why unless the borders are now bitmaps, which doesn't make sense.
  • The new version added more chapters as bookmarks. However, in the header only three chapter titles are added (shown on the third screenshot). And all the extra ones found are ignored. The old version fails to add these as bookmarks, but shows them in the header. I wonder what's happening here.

With old (3.40.1) version I get this with my settings:
Spoiler:

With the new version:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

BTW, Here are the converted files:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2H?usp=sharing

Last edited by chaley; 06-16-2022 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Added spoiler
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:00 AM   #2
mzso
Enthusiast

PS:
Why are the font sizes forcibly pixel based? How does it even translate to a book/pdf, which has no pixels? Makes no sense to me.
I had to increase values by the same amount I increased the size of elements in my Windows settings in the old version. (In the new version everything got borked, so I don't know)
Old 06-16-2022, 06:02 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since the PDF output engine was completely rewritten between those two release you will get different results. Read https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...verting-to-pdf

Though why you want to convert to PDF to read on a desktop I have no idea.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:31 PM   #4
mzso
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Since the PDF output engine was completely rewritten between those two release you will get different results. Read https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...verting-to-pdf

Though why you want to convert to PDF to read on a desktop I have no idea.
Well, what should I use instead? Where I can set fonts text size and pages the the way that is pleasant and practical.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

font sizes are defined in the input document and can be rescaled in the calibre conversion settings. I have no idea what pages means. if you mean the white border that is whatever hack you are using to color the pdf pages being broken, because the page borders are rendered separately from the main content.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #6
mzso
Enthusiast

I mainly meant: What format other than PDF allows me to set font size, typeface, and preferably setting up page layout with page numbers? (Showing the current chapter would also be a positive)
Old 06-18-2022, 05:51 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
I mainly meant: What format other than PDF allows me to set font size, typeface, and preferably setting up page layout with page numbers? (Showing the current chapter would also be a positive)
EPUB (other than page number, since only printed books have CONSISTENT page numbers)
Calibre's viewer allow overriding most settings from those set in the STYLESHEET.
Other devices offer similar if you turn off Publishers Styles (or whatever means that)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:24 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
You can do all that in EPUB with calibre's viewer. Do an epub to epub conversion to adjust font sizes and families however you like. See Look & feel section of the conversion dialog. And you can show th ecurrent chapter and setup the page layout however you like in the viewer's preferences.