Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3, Boox 60, K3, Sony T1, Sandra has a Sony505, 650, K3
Prices for amazon books

Like a few other people I am tempted by the price of the K3. But I have a few questions about buying ebooks from amazon.

I browsed a few of the popular books and the price on amazon seems to be around 12$. I did the same on kobo, and found the prices centered around 10$ and some cheaper. Is this a general trend, or did i just hit some examples which are more expensive at amazon?

I just bought Dan Brown's The lost symbol on kobo for 7.79$, on amazon it is listed at 12.12$ delivered through whispernet. Is it cheaper if you download it to your pc?
KunoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon prices vary depending on where you live. Eg, for buying in the UK, "The Lost Symbol" costs $5.30 in the Kindle Store.

No, it's no cheaper if you download it to your PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Thanks to our "friends" at Apple prices are much higher now. I've put off multiple purchases for books I want that are now $14.99 which would have been 9.99 had they come out last year (as indicated by the "price set by the publisher" phrase). Thanks, Jobs.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What are you talking about? Apple aren't responsible for "Agency" pricing.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3, Boox 60, K3, Sony T1, Sandra has a Sony505, 650, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon prices vary depending on where you live. Eg, for buying in the UK, "The Lost Symbol" costs $5.30 in the Kindle Store.

No, it's no cheaper if you download it to your PC.
That is quite a jump from 5.30 to 12.12. My location is Denmark, and it says region Europe. 5.30 is the lowest I have seen anywhere, while I have no problems finding it lower than 12.12. The picture is the same if I check Stieg Larsson's books.
KunoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
What are you talking about? Apple aren't responsible for "Agency" pricing.
Weren't they? As I remember it was Apple's collusion with the Price Fix Five that forced Amazon into accepting agency pricing.

Googling "Apple & Agency Pricing" turns up articles like this one, which implicates Apple directly in publisher's schemes.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KunoK View Post
That is quite a jump from 5.30 to 12.12. My location is Denmark, and it says region Europe. 5.30 is the lowest I have seen anywhere, while I have no problems finding it lower than 12.12. The picture is the same if I check Stieg Larsson's books.
All three of Stieg Larsson's books are $4.17 for UK customers, and that's including VAT at 17.5%.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Weren't they? As I remember it was Apple's collusion with the Price Fix Five that forced Amazon into accepting agency pricing.

Googling "Apple & Agency Pricing" turns up articles like this one, which implicates Apple directly in publisher's schemes.
Apple accepted agency pricing - they had to, to get books into the iBookstore. That doesn't make them responsible for it.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Are all the books that are cheaper in the UK published by other than the price-fixing publishers, or does Amazon have a different arrangement in the UK? For pbooks, they seem to be able to set whatever price they like since the demise of the net book agreement. Can they do the same for ebooks in the UK?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Apple is so secretive we may never find out the truth, but I know last year those books I wanted would have been $9.99. Now the publishers can sell them to someone else, I won't buy them.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apple accepted agency pricing - they had to, to get books into the iBookstore. That doesn't make them responsible for it.
Accepted agency pricing, or had a big hand in bringing it about as a tactic against Amazon?
Old 08-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Are all the books that are cheaper in the UK published by other than the price-fixing publishers, or does Amazon have a different arrangement in the UK? For pbooks, they seem to be able to set whatever price they like since the demise of the net book agreement. Can they do the same for ebooks in the UK?
There is no "agency agreement" in the UK (I believe it would be illegal under UK law); Amazon are free to set whatever price they wish for eBooks.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Accepted agency pricing, or had a big hand in bringing it about as a tactic against Amazon?
I really don't see how it could be "a tactic against Amazon", given that:

1. Apple are subject to it just as much as Amazon are.

2. Apple are actually benefiting Amazon, in that people who would not have bought a dedicated reading device are buying the iPad and iPhone, and buying books from Amazon's bookstore via the Kindle App for iPhone/iPad.

Can you explain what Apple have to gain from the Agency agreement? I'm afraid I just can't see it myself.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
carld
Wizard

Once the agency model was in place for Amazon, Apple began negotiating their own pricing limitations with the big 5 and imposed limits on what the publishers could charge, effectively undercutting the new deal forced on Amazon.

Apple Dictates Max E-Book Prices

Apple's Prices for E-Books May Be Lower Than Expected

Quote:
Apple inserted provisions requiring publishers to discount e-book prices on best sellers — so that $12.99-to-$14.99 range was merely a ceiling; prices for some titles could be lower, even as low as Amazon’s $9.99.
Everything I've read clearly says that Apple had a hand in bringing about the agency pricing model and intends to benefit from it.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If that were the case, wouldn't you expect Apple's book prices to be lower than Amazon's? They aren't.