Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #91
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I still have $2.24 in my account there. Is it gone forever?
I blew all mine on an audio book (that was also on sale!) just days before they shut down. Was only about $7 or $8 but kinda happy I did, now.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #92
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I pretty much think so. Someone on the support board lost $50 in gift card balance. I would be contacting my card company.
I saw that and the one previously where the kids lost their gift cards.

It's a lesson about store gift cards. Use them promptly.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #93
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
BOB was the last of the little guys.
I don't like them quite as much as I did BoB, but Diesel isn't bad.

Also ARe has the "mainstream" version of their store, OmniLit although I've never spent any time browsing there.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #94
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Also ARe has the "mainstream" version of their store, OmniLit although I've never spent any time browsing there.
I forgot about Diesel even though I do shop there when they have their deal of the day. I never knew about OmniLit.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #95
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Diesel is still with us. They do offer a daily deal.

http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #96
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

There's also ebooks.com and ebookmall.com but they don't offer any sales. I suspect they are a conduit for Axis360.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #97
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I pretty much think so. Someone on the support board lost $50 in gift card balance. I would be contacting my card company.
$50 dollars? ...ouch, that hurts! At least my balance was strictly credit they gave me. I never spent any real money on their books.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #98
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
They've deleted their Facebook and twitter accounts. I don't think B.O.B. is coming back despite what they said.

No one is answering on their Support Board questions either.
Bummer. Their site was slow, but Kobo's site isn't really a better place as it lacks a shopping cart as far as I can see. BOB was often waaay cheaper than Kobo.

Now I don't have too many options where to buy epubs:
Kobo - Often expensive
Feedbooks - Very good for free ebooks, but limited on big titles. Average price.
Ebooks.com - Good, but not very cheap. Often comparable to Kobo.
Diesel-Ebooks - Comparable to BOB, IMHO.

WHSmith - Just links to Kobo
Waterstones - Doesn't let me buy. I'm not in the UK.
Foyles - Doesn't let me buy. Don't have a UK credit card.
Barnes&Noble - Doesn't let me buy. I'm not in the US (but can select "Netherlands" as credit card company, after which it doesn't accept any address...)
Amazon - Doesn't even sell epubs.

I've found http://www.booktopia.com.au/, but I haven't tried buying from them. They've got some of the somewhat more obscure / smaller titles and authors I'd like to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Thanks for that OmniLit link. They accept PayPal, which I prefer over credit card usage, they sell epubs, some of them quite cheap, and they have some interesting titles. Will check it out. I hope they'll sell to the Netherlands.

Is Diesel the owner of OmniLit? Why would they do that, and not just merge the two stores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
There's also ebooks.com and ebookmall.com but they don't offer any sales. I suspect they are a conduit for Axis360.
Thanks. Will check ebookmall.com out too.

But they do have sales:

http://www.ebookmall.com/ebook-sale

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-23-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #99
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I think the real question is who is left? I don't know many stores left other than the big ones Kindle, Nook, Kobo & Sony. I mean there is Smashwords but they are indie based. BOB was the last of the little guys.
In the Netherlands, I can't even buy from B&N and Sony. Kobo is often way too expensive. Many books there cost around €7, while the same book will go for $6 or less (€4.60) in US stores such as Diesel.

I refuse to pay for one-reader-only formats such as Kindle's AZW. Then I'd have to convert to get the book into my epub base format, change what I want to change, and then convert back. Not gonna happen.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #100
athenat
athenat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Detailed help with DRM removal tools isn't permitted at MobileRead. I suggest you ask at the blog where you got the tools.
Sorry and thanks.
athenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #101
athenat
athenat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Are you using kindle4mac?
Thanks for inquiring and I was able to see my library...
athenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #102
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Is Diesel the owner of OmniLit? Why would they do that, and not just merge the two stores?
No, All Romance eBooks owns OmniLit. They started it as a store for titles that aren't romance. Diesel does own another site called Ebook-Eros which focuses on Erotica/Erotic Romance (& regular romance?).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #103
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
BoB selling their mailing list?

I received something from daily-i.com (iphone news site, I guess) today at my email that has only been used for emails from Books on Board. If I start getting more spam at that address, I'll be sure.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #104
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I received something from daily-i.com (iphone news site, I guess) today at my email that has only been used for emails from Books on Board. If I start getting more spam at that address, I'll be sure.
Sounds like "take the money and run"
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #105
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
I think the real question is who is left? I don't know many stores left other than the big ones Kindle, Nook, Kobo & Sony. I mean there is Smashwords but they are indie based. BOB was the last of the little guys.
The Baen store is still selling. They are solidly SF&F genre though. I think they are going to lose Nightshade as a publisher.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote