Notices

Old 08-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
penguintri
Enthusiast
penguintri began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Kindle Oasis 2017 Screen corners

Hi,

I wondered if anyone has had problems with the corners on their Kindle not being able to go black any more.

I swear mine weren't like it yesterday. It's only small but wondering if I should be worried if it's going to get worse!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-08-18_19-42-08_822.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	165701  
penguintri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Looks like some light bleed? You sure it wasn't already there? Not sure how that can be caused later, since the front glass is flat over it. Hmm. I just checked on mine and it doesn't have any bleed. But I never use the inverted so it wouldn't bother me even if it did. But looks to be all even.
Can the frame underneath somehow get removed from whatever its covering up?

If you turn the light down a bit is it still bothering you?
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Mine is much the same on the right side, but it doesn't have the bright corner like yours on the lower left.

I only tried the inverted screen once and don't really care for it. It reduces the contrast too much for me. For reading in a dark room, I turn the front light down, and sometimes increase the line spacing.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
That is certainly light bleed, not a failure of the e-ink to go black.

I just now looked at mine in a pitch black closet with the reader light all the way up and saw no sign of light bleed. It is hard to tell how much your corners are affected because your picture is so overexposed.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
penguintri
Enthusiast

Unfortunately I don't think it's light bleed as you can see in the attached picture it's there when the light is off on the screensaver. It's just not as easy to see / photograph without the light on.

I'm 90% sure it wasn't there yesterday. Just hoping it's not water damaged as I do use it in the bath occasionally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-08-18_21-48-59_587.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	165704  
Old 08-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintri View Post
Unfortunately I don't think it's light bleed as you can see in the attached picture it's there when the light is off on the screensaver. It's just not as easy to see / photograph without the light on.

I'm 90% sure it wasn't there yesterday. Just hoping it's not water damaged as I do use it in the bath occasionally.
OK. I have no idea whether this is something new or no one has noticed it before because the KOA2 is the first model with and inverted black and white option.

I still think camera bloom exaggerates the problem in you first picture.

I think a picture in inverted mode in bright ambient light with the Kindle light off would give the best view of the e-ink portion of the problem. (Outdoors would be best.) Glare from a camera flash or other light source would confuse things.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first pic is front light all the way up, no flash, taken outside.

The second is front light all the way down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E52A314D-600F-457B-BB37-8E30A5B3AB50.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	165705   Click image for larger version

Name:	9B23B4BB-0C7A-4907-BCE4-5D9B2765C67F.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	165706  
Old 08-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The first pic is front light all the way up, no flash, taken outside.

The second is front light all the way down.
Those are beautiful pictures.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
I don't see anything like that on mine, with or without the front light.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Those are beautiful pictures.
Why thanks...take with an iPhone 7+. DecalGirl skin of my design, done in the Pigment app.

I love the pictures this phone takes in natural lighting.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:29 AM   #11
penguintri
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
OK. I have no idea whether this is something new or no one has noticed it before because the KOA2 is the first model with and inverted black and white option.

I still think camera bloom exaggerates the problem in you first picture.

I think a picture in inverted mode in bright ambient light with the Kindle light off would give the best view of the e-ink portion of the problem. (Outdoors would be best.) Glare from a camera flash or other light source would confuse things.
As requested here is a picture of the issue taken outside with the backlight set to off. That's pretty much how it exactly looks to my eyes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-08-19_10-13-49_937v2.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	841.4 KB
ID:	165710  
Old 08-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
As requested here is a picture of the issue taken outside with the backlight set to off. That's pretty much how it exactly looks to my eyes.
Any chance it is just some dirt/dust?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for your patience documenting your problem. You were correct the first time, but your first pictures left room for doubt.

I don't recall ever seeing that kind of failure before, most examples on this forum are from some kind of stress or impact failure. My KOA2 hasn't behaved like yours and it seems so far that no one else's has either.

It's probably time to contact Amazon for a warranty replacement.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
So if the backlight is off, its not light bleed. But what is it then. Missing ink bubble thingies that stay on white?

How the heck do you even explain that to the kindle CS.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote