Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Max size of a kepub

I found two epubs of over 130MB Both of them have inside pictures and links. I converted them with kepubify and they're working well!!

So now two questions naturally rise:
How did the author make them?
Which is the real size limit of an epub?
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not aware of any size restrictions. Yes the are suggested size limits for the individual XHTML files that comprise the kepub, and the are also guidelines for image sizes.

Here is Kibi's documentation on kepubs https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
I found two epubs of over 130MB Both of them have inside pictures and links. I converted them with kepubify and they're working well!!

So now two questions naturally rise:
How did the author make them?
Which is the real size limit of an epub?
Quite a few tools will make large epub files. For the most part, if you look at the structure of an epub (any unzip utility will work, I use 7Zip), you'll find the majority of the total file size comes from images. My current record holder is a biography/cook book with lovely images for each recipe. This results in a total file size of 562.4MB of which 561MB is images. Embedded fonts take up another 800K.

As for size limits, as long as the html/xhtml files don't get horrendously large (I've created test epubs with 1-2MB files and they worked but with some performance issues when using links between chunks) and keep the images to reasonable sizes, the maximum size is more likely to be limited by your devices hardware and software than any innate size limit in an epub.

Edit: with older ereaders using RMSDK, there were issues with larger html files leading to a recommendation of 300K maximum per html file. That has not been an issue with Adobe ADE/RMSDK since ~2009.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-01-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Adding comment about older software
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Absolutely, it's images, then fonts that cause a big jump in size.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:25 AM   #5
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Quite a few tools will make large epub files.
which would you suggest?
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2019, 02:33 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not aware of any size restrictions.
The size limit is probably - in theory, at least - the 4GB maximum file size of the FAT32 file system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
which would you suggest?
My personal preference for an epub editor is Sigil along with calibre's editor for some tasks where switch editors makes them easier. That both are open source and free is a bonus for me.

Please note that generally, I am not creating an epub. I am either editing an epub for my personal use to correct what I regard as egregious formatting errors or to help someone who is having issues getting their epub into a publishable form.

I have used various epub authoring tools (InDesign, Vellum, Atlantis, etc.) but Sigil and calibre make it easier to get to the source files rather than using a WYSIWYG editing mode.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
which would you suggest?
I tend to create and edit my books manually using a code editor (my favourite is VSCode). I've been working intermittently on my tool, epubtool, which automates some of the common tasks I perform (unpacking/packing epubs, modifying metadata, and performing transformations on the HTML). I used to use a bunch of custom scripts, but I'm currently adding those features to epubtool as I have time.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
How do the e-readers process a book when it's being read? I was thinking that they'd extract the css files and have them on the drive or in ram and then stream into ram (unzipping the bytes as needed) the xhtml chapter files. I would think that with doing that that there would be minimal penalty for huge xhtml files.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I tend to create and edit my books manually using a code editor (my favourite is VSCode). I've been working intermittently on my tool, epubtool, which automates some of the common tasks I perform (unpacking/packing epubs, modifying metadata, and performing transformations on the HTML). I used to use a bunch of custom scripts, but I'm currently adding those features to epubtool as I have time.
... far be it from me to tell you how to spend your leisure hours but are you aware that calibre already contains loads of utilities for robust, reliable manipulation of the various innards (opf, html, css, ncx/nav, unpack/pack etc) of an epub? Many things can be done in just a few lines of python code. If they don't currently do everything you may want to do you can mix'n'match existing functions to achieve what you want.

Even if you don't want to be bothered writing full-blown calibre GUI plugins you can still access all the same functions from simple python scripts outside calibre. Neither do the epubs need to be in a calibre library structure.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
... far be it from me to tell you how to spend your leisure hours but are you aware that calibre already contains loads of utilities for robust, reliable manipulation of the various innards (opf, html, css, ncx/nav, unpack/pack etc) of an epub? Many things can be done in just a few lines of python code. If they don't currently do everything you may want to do you can mix'n'match existing functions to achieve what you want.
I do it partly for the learning, and also because I use it as a library. I'm planning to also merge all the duplicate epub-related code in my tools (kepubify, seriesmeta, BookBrowser, etc) into this. As most of it is just consolidating work I've already done, I expect this to take at most 10 hours of additional work in total.

Quote:
Even if you don't want to be bothered writing full-blown calibre GUI plugins you can still access all the same functions from simple python scripts outside calibre. Neither do the epubs need to be in a calibre library structure.
As I have expressed before, I strongly dislike the calibre* classes and meta tags which are added (I also wish it could be a bit faster). I also do a lot of work with epubs (not all of it is public) and Go, so the time I spend is worth it. In addition, sometimes, I just want to make a quick change to an existing epub from the command line, and it is faster when I can avoid all the extra stuff in calibre.

P.S. I'm also slightly stubborn about avoiding Calibre too.

Last edited by geek1011; 07-02-2019 at 06:24 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
As I have expressed before, I strongly dislike the calibre* classes and meta tags which are added (I also wish it could be a bit faster).

P.S. I'm also slightly stubborn about avoiding Calibre too.
All of which is your prerogative, of course, but for the record none of the epub edit/manipulation functions I was talking about add any unwanted calibre* classes to html or css. Perhaps you're confusing simple calibre epub edit functions with full calibre format conversions.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #13
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Whatever floats your boat. But is that honestly what you would suggest?
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
How do the e-readers process a book when it's being read? I was thinking that they'd extract the css files and have them on the drive or in ram and then stream into ram (unzipping the bytes as needed) the xhtml chapter files. I would think that with doing that that there would be minimal penalty for huge xhtml files.
The reader would need to hold the data structure built from parsing the entire html file in memory, otherwise it would have to reparse from the beginning each time the reader paged backwards (since html can't generally be parsed in reverse.)

Although it is not strictly necessary to load the entire html file before beginning to display the results, it is necessary to retain everything in memory until the end of the file is reached, and so the size of the html file (or more strictly, the size of the final data structure built from parsing the entire html file, which is probably much larger then the size of the file) is a limiting factor.

From what I have observed on my Glo, there is a noticable delay in the KePub reader when starting a new chapter, more noticable when the html file is large, so the KePub reader is probably parsing the entire html file before it displays the first page. But there is no extra delay when starting a new chapter in the ePub reader, so I think the ePub reader parses the html file as it goes. (There is a delay when paging backward to the end of the previous chapter in both readers though, because in that case they both need to parse the whole file from the beginning before they can display the final page.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #15
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The reader would need to hold the data structure built from parsing the entire html file in memory, otherwise it would have to reparse from the beginning each time the reader paged backwards (since html can't generally be parsed in reverse.)
Including the text, or just the html/xml tag tree structure?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote