Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Augen "TheBook" 7'' eReader $99.00

I took a trip to the wonderful world of Kmart, and this is what I found.

Kmart

From www.augenus.com

Product Features
• Wi-Fi Connectivity with Basic Web Browsing Capability
• Built-In Speaker
• E-Book Conversion & Content Management Software
•Content Provider Partner “ebooksmedia.com” with DRM/SDK9 License
• MP3/MP4 & Video Player
• 2GB Internal Memory Stores up to 1,500 eBooks
• Standard SD Card Slot Expandable up to 32GB
• Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
•Read in Landscape or Portrait View (It has a 4 way accelerometer)

Accessories Included

• User manual
•Leather Carrying Case
•USB Cable (for data transfer only)
• UL Certified AC Adapter

Their website says -
Adjustable Text Size
Increase the text size of your favorite book or periodical with the push of a button. TheBook™ has four adjustable font sizes to suit your reading preference.

But you also have a selection of font too. And that’s VERY important because of the low resolution, you will need to adjust the font and font size. In the end I was able to find a good enough combination that I liked.

I wasn't expecting much, but I was surprised. I'll have to load up a SD card and go back.

The selection of ebooks in "TheBook" varied from horrible to good formatting.

The cover on in the unopened box was VERY nice. Not at all like the one on the Kmart web site.

I had very little time to look at it before I had to go, but I just may buy one this weekend.

Great reader - No.

Good enough for a second reader or to give to someone as a first reader to see if they like reading ebooks - yes.

Yes, a lot of people will start yelling how it's bla, bla, bla, bla, bla.

But for only $100 it just may be the right reader for some.

I'll have to think about it tonight and load up a SD card.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I was looking at their website yesterday, thinking the same thing. I do like the formats it reads, and was thinking this might be suitable for my mother in law.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
A review and video:

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/auge...ok-review.html
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Thanks, Xanthe. That was a little bit more than I could do with it out of the box.

The CPU is only 400mhz so you can't expect too much from it. As far as reading goes it's fast enough. If you push the on/off button it seems to go to sleep because it only takes about 1 to 1 1/2 seconds to turn back on. When it turns back on it's right where you left off reading.

The speaker on the back can't really be used for much, but what can you expect from such a tiny thing?

Text to voice was surprisingly good.

It will zoom in/out so I need to see how it handles technical PDFs.

The cover in the video was the same one I saw in Kmart. Not good enough to stand on, but more than enough to toss in a kids backpack for school. In fact it’s a lot better than the one I bought.

I paid a lot for my ereader. Too much to take to work. This might be good enough for work. Not to mention kids of all ages.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I didn't see anything in this review that made me want one. If the review is accurate it seems like it does a number of things but none of them very well.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
rblover
Connoisseur
rblover began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
The only ones I see are selling for $169.00...not $99.00.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover View Post
The only ones I see are selling for $169.00...not $99.00.
Click on Kmart in blue.

>>> Kmart
Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I didn't see anything in this review that made me want one. If the review is accurate it seems like it does a number of things but none of them very well.
It's not really a review. I only had 10 or 15 minutes to look at it in the store.

It's more of a notice to anyone thinking of getting a cheap reader. Or perhaps a second reader.

I must carry a fair amount of very technical references with me for work. This is cheap enough to take with me without fear of damage or loss.

Of course it isn't for everybody. No one reader is. But even a paper reader is good enough for some.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
If you put Augen in the search box of this forum, you'll see there has been much talk. Fresh from Kmart doesn't work with DRM, but a firmware upgrade fixes that, but then auto rotate messes up (landscape is upside down, though portrait is fine).

I love mine and have been reading every day on it.
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureForth View Post
If you put Augen in the search box of this forum, you'll see there has been much talk. Fresh from Kmart doesn't work with DRM, but a firmware upgrade fixes that, but then auto rotate messes up (landscape is upside down, though portrait is fine).

I love mine and have been reading every day on it.

$150 7-inch Android tablet from Augen, coming soon

That was the one that caught my interest. But actually seeing "TheBook" (how original is that ) in the store for only $100 surprised me. What it does for that price will fill the need for some people. Perfect - no. Good enough - yes.

By the way, both sites crow about how well it works with DRM!

Strangely Kmart says -
"It is Adobe DRM licensed for downloading capability from any source including Amazon, Kobo Books, Barnes and Noble and many others!"

And Augen -
"DRM: “Digital Rights Management

"A security software similar to MP3 anti-privacy software which protects authors and their publishers against their works being copied. The various web sites use different security formats and TheBook™ by Augen supports all formats for ease of downloads. DRM/SDK9 software included!"

That DRM stuff sure sounds great. Can we get us some too Paw?

They must really be working on it's continual development. The one in the store did stuff that wasn't mentioned on their own web site.

================================================== =
EDIT
PS - Thanks VentureForth. I did search MR for Augen and found a ton of stuff. I guess that until I actually saw one in person I simply didn't SEE it. That's what I get for being an eInk snob.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 07-31-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:30 AM   #11
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I don't think a color screen is a good choice to read ebooks. I tried to read ebooks on my 10" netbook and I cannot read it more than 10 minutes...I can read ebooks on JBL screen for 5-6 hours nonstop without any problems for my eyes.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:36 AM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I've seen nothing on battery life for these yet. Anyone have an idea?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
There are 4 threads in the More E-Reader subform. You can discuss there.

Last edited by Lastblade; 07-31-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
My husband wants a reader with a back-lit screen for reading in bed. This one might work for him, thanks for posting this SameOldStory.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
There are 4 threads in the More E-Reader subform. You can discuss there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post

================================================== =
EDIT
PS - Thanks VentureForth. I did search MR for Augen and found a ton of stuff. I guess that until I actually saw one in person I simply didn't SEE it. That's what I get for being an eInk snob.
Thanks, Lastblade. I didn't notice until you told me.