Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: How many hours can your iPad do? (multiple choices)
< 5 hours, it get's drained pretty fast 1 2.00%
5 hours to 7 hours, a bit less than expected 4 8.00%
7 hours to 9 hours, a bit below my expectations 6 12.00%
ca. 10 hours, exactly what's in the technical description 10 20.00%
> 10 hours, I'm very positively surprised 20 40.00%
It depends extremely on my usage, whether I'm watching movies, playing games or read 6 12.00%
It gets drained quickly, whatever I do 2 4.00%
In general, I'm okay with the battery duration. It's about what I'd expect on similar units. 5 10.00%
In general, I find it troublesome. I think about backup batteries or other alternatives - I have to do something. 0 0%
In general, I'm absolutely fine. Battery does long enough for commuting and "surviving" any average day. 15 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Arrow What battery duration do you experience?

I've got my iPad only 2 days ago. Probably need some more charging cycles to finally tell.
But for now, I have the feeling I'm way below the 10 hours mentioned in the technical description and discussed in most threads.
My iPhone only does about 5 hours as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if iPad were in the same range.
It's a new gadget, so I'm toying around a lot, which of course negatively influences the battery as well.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
My girlfriend's iPad seems to get right around 10 hours, usually a bit more. Mostly used for net surfing, e-mail, news apps, reading in Goodreader etc.

Watched a few videos on it, didn't seem to drop the battery much faster than the above activities.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I have used mine every day for the last month. Some days, I spend all day reading, surfing the web and checking email. Other days, I just use it occationally during the day. I've never had it drop below 50%.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I voted 7 to 9 but have never actually made an effort to time it. I do turn it off and on a lot. Use email and the web, read, play a few games, fool around with various apps. I charge it about every day when it falls between 20 and 50% so - who knows.

I do know this, my computer is on a lot less - sometimes off for an entire day.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
When I am just reading, I toggle off the wifi. The battery lasts forever this way.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Compared to my Touch which seemed to drain in about an hour of use, the iPad is dream come true.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Go here http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
My 3G iPad absolutely kills my iPhone 3GS in terms of battery life; even though I have push turned off for email/apps on the iPhone (except MobileMe for Find My iPhone), and on for the iPad.

And as dmaul notes, unlike the iPhone, playing videos on the iPad doesn't seem to make a huge difference in battery drainage-and I watch a lot of video thru both the built-in player, Netflix, and AirVideo.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I'd estimate that in best-case conditions (minimum brightness, no wifi or Bluetooth, simple reading app), I'd get around 12 hours. Worst case (max brightness, Bluetooth headphones, streaming video over wifi, maybe only 5-6.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
> 10 hours and I'm not surprised sonic that was what Apple stated.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

24 iPad owners here already?
Old 05-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
24 iPad owners here already?
23 I guess since I was commenting based on using my girlfriend's iPad.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Just about bang on ten hours from the charge it came with, and the same from the first charge I gave it. I let it run down to just beyond the warning dialogue (~18%) and fully charged it and am trying it now with 3G turned off to see if it makes a difference. This is on a general mix of spreadsheet work, browsing, a bit of movie watching etc...

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
23 I guess since I was commenting based on using my girlfriend's iPad.
Come on, dmaul...take the plunge..be number 24
Old 05-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Come on, dmaul...take the plunge..be number 24
Can't, it just doesn't fit my main needs in a tablet. Great media consumption tablet, but I don't really want a tablet just for that, especially at $500+.

Tags
battery, ipad