Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #136
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
They can't drop support for LRF/LRX in their Readers, because they are still selling LRX ebooks and because maintaining customer loyalty is important for selling new devices. So the new devices have to support "legacy" ebooks, probably for years to come.
Well, they won't support LRF/LRX. Neither will 505/700 after the update. Same goes for 500. Wanna bet?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I suspect that unless they stop using Adobe's software... and develop their own, ePubs will probably continue looking as well-nigh unreadable as they do today.

- Ahi
I disagree. ePub is very well readable on my 505. And the page number at the right side doesn't bother me a bit even if text and the page number clash. I can easily read what word it is without bother. ePub is more readable in a lot of cases then LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #138
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 500 may be an issue, due to the small size of its ROM. ISTR that Sony said that the ePub firmware wouldn't "fit" into the 500 when they released the firmware update for the 505.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Well that sucks
Not to worry, ahi is incorrect.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #140
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Well, they won't support LRF/LRX. Neither will 505/700 after the update. Same goes for 500. Wanna bet?
They don't need to face the exclusivity dilemma others had with EPUB vs. Mobi so I don't see why Sony would remove LRF support. Also, PRS-300 and PRS-600 still support it even though they're new models.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #141
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Well, in fairness I could be wrong.

Also, I'm sure in a few more minutes the posts will start flooding in telling you that irrelevant page numbers displayed in the (therefore wasted) margin is not so bad, and that ePub in fact looks better than anything else out there because you can include your own fonts.

- Ahi
ePub is better then LRF because if you do want your own fonts, it doesn't slow down like LRF does. LRF with embedded fonts is slow.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #142
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
They don't need to face the exclusivity dilemma others had with EPUB vs. Mobi so I don't see why Sony would remove LRF support. Also, PRS-300 and PRS-600 still support it even though they're new models.
HarryT answered that 2 post above: at least for the 500 the Flash-ROM is to small to hold both. And I suspected that much on page 9.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #143
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Opus is rendering the in-line page numbers differently from other devices with mobile ADE. It is using an almost invisible page number in the body of the text, which it gets away with because the page number is also in the title bar. On my EZ Reader (Hanlin V3), the page number is very prominent and it can obscure a word. On the other hand, the full screen view on the EZ Reader (no title bar) is otherwise a good thing. For screenshots of the two devices (on different pages) see Just got my Cybook Opus posts #50 and #51.
Just so we can all see what we're talking about, here's a photograph of my Opus. If you look very, very closely, you can just see the page number at the top right corner. Sorry, but to my mind anyone who thinks that makes the book "unreadable" is nuts .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Opus.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	34156  
Old 08-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #144
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Adobe's EPUB compatible devices list includes upcoming PRS-300 and PRS-600 but not PRS-500. This seems to suggest that we are unlikely to get a PRS-500 firmware with EPUB support. Still, I wonder what else could the "update path" be... an exchange program like the one for the 505 doesn't really sound like it.
It says in the press release that the 500 will get a firmware update so it can read ePub.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #145
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
It says in the press release that the 500 will get a firmware update so it can read ePub.
It doesn't actually say that (unless I've missed something, in which case I apologise) - it just says there will be an "update" available for PRS-500 owners. That could refer to something like a trade-in offer. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #146
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It doesn't actually say that (unless I've missed something, in which case I apologise) - it just says there will be an "update" available for PRS-500 owners. That could refer to something like a trade-in offer. We'll have to wait and see.
I need to reread it, if I can find it. I thought it was pretty clear 500 would get ePub support.
Quote:
Sony will also provide an update path for owners of the first edition Reader, model PRS-500, so early adopters of the Reader will be able to enjoy this benefit as well.
Hrmm...I guess it is a little vague.

Last edited by lilac_jive; 08-13-2009 at 10:53 AM.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #147
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
Did BeBook not do precisely that only from Mobipocket to ePUB? Remember: you don't have to update!

And they could just convert all LRX into ePUB and let you re-download.
BeBook does not have an ebook store.

I agree that conversion of all titles by Sony from LRX to ePub is a possible approach. I can't see any advantage to this for Sony over providing LRX reading firmware.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #148
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, but to my mind anyone who thinks that makes the book "unreadable" is nuts .
It obviously does not make the ebook unreadable if the page number is in the margin, but an ePub does not have to have a wide right margin (or any blank right margin at all). In some ebooks the page number is over the text (note that it can be anywhere vertically on the screen, but always near the right edge) and you can't easily read the word underneath the page number. On the Opus, it may be possible to read the word underneath the page number since the page number is so faint.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #149
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Holy Crappola! This thread started 10:48pm last night (according to my time), and by 9:50am, has already reached the bottom of Page 10! This thread is on fire!

As for the subject, this is great news indeed! I greatly applaud Sony in this decision, and look forward to Amazon countering it with the same. I've never seen any sense or reason to say "you can only read this book on my device, so if you want to read this book, buy my device".

Sony has seen the light. Will Amazon open their eyes? Or will they turn their faces and wiggle back into the darkness...
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #150
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The advantage would be to sony, who would not have to have two copies of each book, and keep track of which version you originally bought. They just convert, and business as usual after that.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote