Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
firelance
firelance began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500/505
PRS-500 vs. 505?

Hi folks,

First post to the forum. I've been wanting an ebook reader for while now and have been waiting till I can get a PRS-505 for $200 or so. I thought I had a chance with the expansy refurbished deal but that seemed to disappear fast.

On the other hand, I now have a chance to pick up a used PRS-500 for a $100 or so. I know the technical differences, size, memory etc. but I was wondering if anyone could comment on basic usability issues. I already have spare a spare 4gb memory stick and spare SD cards as well as a psp charger. Given that the last PRS-500 sold on the classifieds for $150, I figure this is a pretty good deal but a good deal isn't enough to get me to buy. .

The other option is the datavis deal going on right now for $250 for the PRS-505.

Is there anything in particular I should be on the lookout for when I see the unit?

Any tips are appreciated.
firelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
If you can wait for the PRS-505 please do. Sony no longer supports the PRS-500. Also the only DRM the PRS-500 reads is the Sony proprietary LRF, while PRS-505 & 700 also reads Abode PDF and ePud (you'll be able to check out library books if your local library offers ebooks).
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
firelance

Blech, I also realize that since I'm running Windows 7 64, I probably won't be able to use the reader on my computer as it is. What a pain. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by firelance View Post
Blech, I also realize that since I'm running Windows 7 64, I probably won't be able to use the reader on my computer as it is. What a pain. Thanks for the info.
You can use Calibre instead. Someone should be by shortly to help explain how it works (I don't have it, but pretty much everyone else does). You just won't be able to use the Sony Library software on your computer. Big difference

Anyway, welcome to the forum! I'd say that you should try and swing for the 505. The only positive that the 500 has over the 505 is that you can find it pretty cheap.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Actually, I think the newest version does work on 64-Bit windows. And, I would imagine the newest driver still works with the 500.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, I think the newest version does work on 64-Bit windows. And, I would imagine the newest driver still works with the 500.

BOb
I think that's only Vista though. Maybe I'm wrong?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Do a little searching. If I'm not mistaken a couple folks had the Sony software running in Window's 7 (not sure if it was 64bit or not).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I think that's only Vista though. Maybe I'm wrong?
Win7 is Vista point 1. I think people said to run on Win7 they had to set it to compatiblity of Vista... but I have seen reports of it working on 32 and 64-bit Win7.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #9
GeriWolters
GeriWolters began at the beginning.

Hi Firelance,

The Sony eReader software runs fine under Windows 7 x64.
Just installing was a pain (also on Vista, I've read. It's not very x64 friendly). The trick is to extract the executable using the /a parameter (elsewhere on the forum). Then run the extracted exe file. It will create a bunch of files and directories. You can move these to the c:\program files (x86) directory.
Also, you will have to create the shortcut yourself. Running in Vista compatibility mode might be wise to do, at least as a precaution.
Just a small remark when creating the shortcut: the .exe file is in the Sony\Reader\Data\Bin directory. Not quite Windows standard...

Kind regards,

Geri
GeriWolters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
firelance

Thanks for the advice everyone. The price was really really tempting but I'm going to try to hold out a little longer to find a PRS-505.

My concern over compatibility was that it seemed that the PRS-500 itself used some non-standard USB driver which made 64 bit compatibility difficult, even in third party software. I'm glad to hear that issue is resolved.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
I just upgraded to a 505 from a 500 I had for about 18 months. The 505 is definitely a better device, and just for longevity I'd want an e-reader that supports ePub (which the 505 does). I also am running it on Windows 7 x64, and other then using the compatibility options on the program after installation (it installed just fine), it has worked great.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #12
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Do not think twice, get the 505 over the 500, it’s worth the difference in cash and much more.

If you can not get it now, build momentum until you can get it, and you will not regret the sacrifice.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriWolters View Post
Hi Firelance,

The Sony eReader software runs fine under Windows 7 x64.
Just installing was a pain (also on Vista, I've read. It's not very x64 friendly).
Huh. I had no problems installing the Library software on my Vista x64 machine... I guess I should count myself lucky!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
If you can wait for the PRS-505 please do. Sony no longer supports the PRS-500. Also the only DRM the PRS-500 reads is the Sony proprietary LRF, while PRS-505 & 700 also reads Abode PDF and ePud (you'll be able to check out library books if your local library offers ebooks).
BBeB without DRM is LRF. With DRM it is LRX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
eBook Library works on Vista x64 only for the 505 and 700 because they mount as a mass storage device natively. The USB driver for the 500 requires x32 and I don't think there ever will be an x64 driver. Calibre does not work with the 500 under any Windows x64.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote