Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-25-2015, 05:35 AM   #61
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
Also Chasm City apparently inspired a 4 track prog rock album...

http://ultranaut.bandcamp.com/album/the-chasm-city-ep
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #62
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
hello, folks

I'm again in a literature rush. I have lots of hobbies, including videogames and piano, so I cycle through them when my mood changes.

Anyway, I discovered the amazing compilations called The Science Fiction Megapack. Bought the sixth, really enjoyed it and also ordered the first and second for the kindle.

They're extremely cheap (each ebook about 1 dollar) and each brings about 28 short scifi from all ages: 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s whatever, but mostly classics from scifi mags such as Astounding

a fine deal, if you ask me. Quality of content is variable, but mostly good, almost all quite intriguing in one way or the other. Poul Anderson, Harry Harryson, Asimov, Clarke, Philip L Dick among many other authors show up. In fact, there's a whole novella from Samuel R Delany on the first compilation, Captives of the Flame. So far, to be true, the best one from that volume, which seems to have got the scifi wrong for some stories. Still, I read the sixth and am confident it's very worthy.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #63
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
She has very specific political views and projects them onto all her characters, including the ones supposedly from different cultures.
can you name one author who doesn't?

fiction comes out from the views, preferences and prejudices of the people who write it. I don't have to worship wicca to dig Prachett, or be a racist to enjoy most of 19th century litetature
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #64
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Chasm City; kind of flabby in places but still a good read.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #65
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I recently finished The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham and I'm currently reading The Warded Man by Peter V Brett. Great, great characters in both of them.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #66
UKPFC
UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini
Great books, looking forward the next installment of the dagger and coin series. I did think that, Peter V Bretts, last couple could have been better. Will the last one longer and the one before that better.
UKPFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #67
OverHaze
Connoisseur

Any new suggestions? Big concepts? Interesting or likeable characters?
Old 03-05-2015, 03:20 AM   #68
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
Any new suggestions? Big concepts? Interesting or likeable characters?
http://bestfantasybooks.com/
Million and a one list, with detailed descriptions and recommendations. Do some work and dig around.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #69
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I have read many books over this last year (including the first six Malazan books) and I have come to the annoying conclusion that I have loved none of them. I liked some of them, I really liked a few of them (Tigana, Memories of Ice, Midnight Tides) but not loved.

So I am looking for recommendations! I want something I will look forward to reading at night, not something to merely help me sleep.[...]
Hello,

I can give a strong recommendation on the Steerswoman series. Jo Walton has a very nice description on how the books feel on her blog without giving spoilers.

The only real downside is that the series is yet unfinished (and will stay that way for a couple of years). I usually hate that a lot (it is why I stopped reading Games of Thrones) but it did not bother me that much here. Each of the novels has a real conclusion. Also the series concentrates on one main character instead of jumping around.

cu Andreas
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #70
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Trying to fit another person's tastes is always difficult, so take what I suggest with a grain of salt (or a boulder).

John Brunner - Shockwave Rider - cyberpunk before there was cyberpunk (1975). You can't get any more outsider than Nickie Halflinger...

The Works of Cordwainer Smith (Paul Linebarger). Total output 36 stories and one "novel" (actually 2 linked novellas). Unlike anything you've ever read...and very, very, good.

Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination. An unfolding flower of a book.

Jack Vance - The Demon Prince series. (Not Fantasy, far future space opera) Not open ended, 5 books with a definite ending. Star King, the Killing Machine, The Palace of Love, The Face, The Book of Dreams #1 and #3 aren't the best (but read #1 anyway for the intro to the series), #2, #4, and #5 are superb.

And I can't resist throwing in a couple of Heinlein Juveniles - The Star Beast and Citizen of the Galaxy. Big Ideas, expertly handled.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #71
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I'm reading John Scalzi right now -- The Ghost Brigades, sort of a sequel to Old Man's War. Seems to stand alone very well for those who might not have read the prior book.

Last edited by Hampshire Nanny; 03-07-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #72
Davidjb
Davidjb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Newish authors

I like a few of the newer authors:

Michael Sullivan's Riyria series. Two characters, complete opposites are forced to work together and after initial contempt a grudging respect develops. Very good fantasy and very readable. The tale could also be set in medieval times. There are fantasy creatures but they are rare and there's politics and intrigue.

Karen Azinger Silk and Steel Saga. Very readable series and very interesting plot and characters. Well worth a read. I am reading her most recent book at the moment and enjoying it. Some really good concepts. Very much in the fantasy genre with Monks and magic artifacts secretly hidden. There's murders as well and the Mordant is a great creation - very evil.

War of the Fae by Elle Cassey. Urban fantasy set in modern times, but with a hidden world of the Fae, both dark and light. Very light hearted read. Very easy to read and some excellent characters and creations. Book 1 was a free e book so that's always handy.

I have a list of fantasy authors I like at http://www.writingabook.ninja/p/davids-author-blog.html if anyone is interested.
Davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #73
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Re-Read Clifford D. Simak's The Big Front Yard last week! Had not read it since I was a kid, but Wow! What a blast from the past! Somewhat aged technology-wise, B&W TV, Radio, etc. but wonderful writing. Read it if you have it or can find it.

Last edited by kennyc; 05-27-2015 at 11:14 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #74
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Love Clifford D Simak. I will also read anything by Stephen Baxter, Ben Bova, Greg Egan, Gregory Benford. Larry Niven, with or without Jerry Pournelle. Not to forget Greg Bear and Orson Scott Card's Ender series.

Current read is Peter F. Hamilton's "The Abyss Beyond Dreams"

I prefer scifi (NOT fantasy) to almost any other genre.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #75
pippin65
Enthusiast
pippin65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Patrick Rothfuss. The Name of the Wind. Stephen King's wasteland series
pippin65 is offline   Reply With Quote