Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I just had a T3 in my hands, the screen was whiter than both of my T2.

Maybe you should simply visit a store and see one, if that's possible where you live. You can compare your other Sony Reader with the T3 in a store if you're unsure.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #17
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
No, not possible.
I also heard some feedback that T3 is whiter. Maybe there is a significant dispersion.
My four T2s are all the same, but one of my three T1s (the first one) has a very dark screen compared to the other two.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
I was made aware of some pictures showing much whiter screen of T2 compared to the new T3. Supposedly from here somewhere on mobileread?

http://rghost.ru/49018188/image.png
http://plasmon.rghost.ru/49018189/image.png

It is pretty shocking, to say the least.
I can't speak to the pictures and the videos. But right now I have my T1, T2, and T3 open in front of me as I type, all reading the same ebook, and I don't see any perceptible difference between the brightness or the greyness of the screens. If anything there may be slightly better contrast on the T3, but it certainly isn't significant.

There are several reasons why I prefer my T3 to the others, but screen brightness or greyness isn't one of them.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #19
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Clearly, T2 has a warmer white color than T1 which is a bit bluish or even bluish/greenish.
T2 looks more like real paper used for books.
A big improvement over T1 even though not much difference in contrast.
So what is the hue of the white color of T3, similar to T2, I hope?
(T2 is very similar to Aura HD)
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
PGA
PGA knows what's going on.PGA knows what's going on.PGA knows what's going on.PGA knows what's going on.PGA knows what's going on.PGA knows what's going on.PGA knows what's going on.PGA knows what's going on.PGA knows what's going on.PGA knows what's going on.PGA knows what's going on.

Device: Sony PRS-600
is it accurate that the T-3 only makes a black refresh every 4 hours? cause that would beat a lot of the competition.. i think the latest kindle white will refresh every 16 pages.. the t-2 doubles that..
PGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #21
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
I just had a T3 in my hands, the screen was whiter than both of my T2.

Maybe you should simply visit a store and see one, if that's possible where you live. You can compare your other Sony Reader with the T3 in a store if you're unsure.
I agree. It is a lot whiter. I compared it in two shops with T2. I am not buying it though, just geeky nosiness. Kind of ironic, there will be unsold heaps of it in Belgium - really, I saw how they sold T2 here in Media Markt, dumped in net containers all colors mixed together like discounted books - while it's unavailable in the US. Everybody and their dog reads pbooks here, everywhere. I think I saw +/- 10 ereaders altogether in 3 years.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #22
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I saw the T3 last weekend. Sony have dropped the price by $30 down under and I was impressed by size and the look of the unit. The screen and the readers speed was also impressive (at least to me)

What made me get thinking about purchase (seriously thinking) was the fact that it seems a logical successor to my beloved PRS-650. I have the T1 but was never that enthused by it. I can sell my near new PRS-T1 and upgrade.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #23
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
...Everybody and their dog reads pbooks here, everywhere. I think I saw +/- 10 ereaders altogether in 3 years.
You obviously have not been on the London Underground during rush-hour lately - can't move for people with their noses stuck in an ereader.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
bca
bca is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bca is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bca is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bca is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bca is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bca is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bca is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bca is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bca is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bca is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bca is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: none
As a 2 weeks-old owner of the PRS-T3 I must say that I completely agree with the original poster.

This is a great device. I really like the add-on light which makes me want to read much more that the so-called "frontlights" which I feel are just flashing in my eyes making them sore. (previous kobo glo owner here)

Also even though it is a bit more pricy,the reader is a lot better quality than the kobo offerings. I had 3 kobo readers which all broke down just by normal use (every switch works bad after a while, then the screen breaks down for no reason, etc.) And kobo's technical support is hellish ; I fell that they are dealing with way too much defective devices.

The only bad point I see about the sony device is that the zoom is very limited ; this is very bothering with textbook PDFs, which are unreadable for this reason.

but for epub books I think this is the best device on the market. Very much recommended!
bca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #25
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I just found two unsusual pictures of the new Sony Reader on a german page called ebook-fieber.de.

If someone needs a reason to go to a store and to have a look at the PRS-T3, maybe this might help a bit.

medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #26
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
BUT, are any of these ereaders as good as the PRS 950?

I hope my 950 never dies.
Hate to say it Pete, but you are probably correct. If your goal is to read, I haven't found the T2 equal to the 950. I'll extrapolate that the T3 isn't much better than the T2. Just putting the T2 next to the 950, it is clear the text is crisper on the T2, the web browser is better and there is less of a "flash" as the page refreshes. But for the goal of reading, there is more text, a more of a book like feel in the 950 and less swiping of the screans. PDF's can be read fine on the T2, but with the 6" screen, they appear small. They are better on the 950.

Oddly, I find the e-ink environment going backwards. I just ordered a Kindle DX just to see how it looks. I'll be willing to pay big bucks for the Sony 13.3 if it is released.
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #27
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
You obviously have not been on the London Underground during rush-hour lately - can't move for people with their noses stuck in an ereader.
I would love to see that. You should take a picture next time. Living in Japan, almost everyone has their nose buried in their smartphone. They could be reading, I suppose, but I suspect they're all playing Puzzles and Dragons!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #28
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Has anyone tried putting a large number (5,000 or more) of epub books on the prs-t3, if so how does it handle them?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #29
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Hi there,
I was wondering about a couple of things. Does the T3 have page turn buttons? If it doesn't, this is not a disaster. Also, can you get rid of the cover, or do you have to have it? Finally, where can you actually buy a T3 in the UK? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Hi there,
I was wondering about a couple of things. Does the T3 have page turn buttons? If it doesn't, this is not a disaster. Also, can you get rid of the cover, or do you have to have it? Finally, where can you actually buy a T3 in the UK? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes it has page turn buttons.

The cover is also the back plate of the device. You can remove it to install the lighted cover instead, but at this time you'd need one or the other unless/until they make a separate back plate available for purchase. There is a version without a cover (just the back plate) in Germany called the T3S, but I haven't seen anything about it being available anywhere else.

I don't know what stores, if any, are selling the T3 in the UK besides the Sony store...
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/rd-reader-ebook/prs-t3
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote