Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Waterstones UK selling off demo 650s

The silver and black models are on eBay UK now for £159.99p. They have only 3 months warranty though.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

Only a bit cheaper than mine when I got the VAT back !

So pleased I spotted that scheme - didn't last long though.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Only a bit cheaper than mine when I got the VAT back !

So pleased I spotted that scheme - didn't last long though.
explain please - how to get VAT back ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do I get this right ? they are selling demo models ? models that countless people have been touching all day for months in stores, with dirty fingers, some pushing too hard and hurting the e-ink, others messing with it (that stuff always happens with demo stuff in stores). and they are selling it 160 pounds ?
So who's stupid enough to pay such a price for abused technology ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
The silver and black models are on eBay UK now for £159.99p. They have only 3 months warranty though.

Last edited by Quexos; 04-22-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
They are unlikely to be straight from shopfloor to punter... these types of deal usually involve a full refurb and end up being effectively new but can't be described as such for legal reasons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Do I get this right ? they are selling demo models ? models that countless people have been touching all day for months in stores, with dirty fingers, some pushing too hard and hurting the e-ink, others messing with it (that stuff always happens with demo stuff in stores). and they are selling it 160 pounds ?
So who's stupid enough to pay such a price for abused technology ?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Get VAT registered... it's called having a business and gives the privilege of wasting time every three months to collect tax for the government and/or claim back VAT paid out on purchases... not required if turnover under something like £55-75K per annum, not sure exactly what current limits are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Get VAT registered... it's called having a business and gives the privilege of wasting time every three months to collect tax for the government and/or claim back VAT paid out on purchases... not required if turnover under something like £55-75K per annum, not sure exactly what current limits are...
not a great idea

1. could you convince a suspicious VAT inspector that a Sony e-reader is essential to your business & is only for business use?

2. once you register for VAT you have to charge it & collect it. ( I am a self employed guitar teacher - I doubt my students would appreciate paying 20% extra per lesson!)

back to the demo thread. an unscrupulous trick would be buy the demo model. drop it from a great height , return it under the 3 month guarantee & have it swapped out for a brand new one. too sneaky for my tastes though!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:30 AM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Sorry cybmole - it was a Sony backed scheme whereby yoy got the amount of VAT you paid on proof of purchase, & I think it was on all Sony stuff, not just ereaders. Ran around 2'3 months over Christmas.

And, as a VAT registered entity, I can tell you fergit it - it's an unpaid role as a tax-collector for the government, which only makes money from around 25%% of businesses registered, (the BP/ICI/Tesco's etc.. of this world ) which kind of suggests they're after information really !

Unless you're a book shop, or the like, dealing in 0% VAT 'able goods or services, in which case it's a jolly good wheeze !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Unless you're a book shop, or the like, dealing in 0% VAT 'able goods or services, in which case it's a jolly good wheeze !
straying off topic but its a good wheeze for banks also ( I used to work for a bank). their core "services" are all zero rated, but they claim vat back on all the IT hardware that they buy!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
PF62
PF62 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
straying off topic but its a good wheeze for banks also ( I used to work for a bank). their core "services" are all zero rated, but they claim vat back on all the IT hardware that they buy!
Staying off topic, banks core "services" are exempt from VAT not zero rated, and you can't claim VAT back on any expenses related to exempt supplies. The VAT on IT hardware will still be accounted for by the banks, since a tiny fraction of the bank's services are taxable, so they can claim back on that tiny fraction.

But back on topic, I think anyone who buys an ex-demo e-reader is mad.
PF62 is offline   Reply With Quote