Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #46
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I'm happy - just bought 5 books knowing that if I don't want to stay w/ the Sony platform, I have other options w/o having to liberate them all! It's probably going to be bad for my credit card though.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:01 AM   #47
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, 3.1 did ask about taking over ePub and acsm (during install/upgrade) and I had it not do so.
Looks like I must have just skipped over that screen as I didn't notice it.
Oh well a manual adjustment after install fixed it.
I think all of my unavailable ebooks were freebies anyway such as the Terrminal Freeze promos chapters and other freebies.
I must have downloaded a lot of freebies because there were 83 ebooks in my bookshelf and I am pretty sure I have only bought around half a dozen ebooks from the Sony store
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:28 AM   #48
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
PRS-900 uses the 850/1900 MHz range which is not compatible with most of the world.
Yes Mostly North American countries only.. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...0_and_GSM-1900
Maybe one day... Then again, Sony have successfully avoided selling any of their liseuses to Australia so far!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:05 AM   #49
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
I'm happy - just bought 5 books knowing that if I don't want to stay w/ the Sony platform, I have other options w/o having to liberate them all! It's probably going to be bad for my credit card though.
and that's exactly why they are going this direction.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #50
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I AM having an issue witht he SonyStyle Store. Apparently Firefox is not displaying the page properly. I went there to look at the 900 and can't find it. BUT when I bring it up in Internet Explorer it works fine. Anyone else have this issue or is something hosed here on my Firefox?

It seems to be something to do with Flash...

Last edited by kennyc; 12-12-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I AM having an issue witht he SonyStyle Store. Apparently Firefox is not displaying the page properly. I went there to look at the 900 and can't find it. BUT when I bring it up in Internet Explorer it works fine. Anyone else have this issue or is something hosed here on my Firefox?

It seems to be something to do with Flash...
I am using Firefox 3.5.5 and yes, the SonyStyle Store is fine here. So I would have to say something is hosed with your Firefox. Try the following... create a new profile with Firefox and then try the SonyStyle store. If that works, then you know it's something to do with the settings in your old profile.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #52
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
and that's exactly why they are going this direction.
Show some boundaries!
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #53
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Well, I am a happy camper now! I put my +5 to bravery shirt on and tackled the python monsters and got ineptepub to work. Now with Calbre I have converted the liberated ePubs and have nicely formatted fully justified LRFs.

Looks beautiful again! Plus I have the liberated ePubs for posterity.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:14 AM   #54
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Furthermore, now that I can liberate Sony's Reader store output, I will actually start buying from them!

Smart move Sony!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #55
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Furthermore, now that I can liberate Sony's Reader store output, I will actually start buying from them!

Smart move Sony!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #56
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
I don't like the way the PRS-505 displays epub books. They don't have full justification and many have huge margins. Now it looks like I'm reading poetry.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiren View Post
I don't like the way the PRS-505 displays epub books. They don't have full justification and many have huge margins. Now it looks like I'm reading poetry.
The lack of full justification is the firmware on the Sony. But the margins are from the publisher. ePub looks how it looks based on what the publisher did when making the ePub. This is why I edit my liberated ePub to fix poor formatting into what I like.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #58
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I've started to liberate ePub then convert it to lrf through Calibre - much better formatting for my 505. Seems sort of backward though.......
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #59
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
But the margins are from the publisher. ePub looks how it looks based on what the publisher did when making the ePub.
My local library recently acquired two ePub books that my wife had already bought through Sony (Charlaine Harris novels, if anyone cares). Now that Sony has gone ePub I've re-downloaded, and compared the ePubs from the two different sources.

The filesizes are within 1KB of each other. The content looks identical, but the margins/formatting are diffrerent. The epubs from the library (i.e. from Overdrive) have margins that more or less match a physical book - including the cover, which is an "Ace Books, New YorK" Title page with a margin-like border around it. The Sony copy has the exact same title page, but a bit "bigger", i.e. with smaller margins. The inside is the same. Sony's has much smaller margins.

This really bothers me. I would have hoped that an ePub would be the same (made by the publisher) no matter where I bought it from. I do not like that there is a difference between these files, and it makes me wonder how other stores compare. If I had the money I'd like to pick 10 books and buy them from all the available ePub-selling stores, and compare them. If one store was consistenly different from the others, I wouldn't buy from them. Do they all do their own conversion job from something the publisher gives them (maybe HTML)? Are they all a bit different?

Last edited by djloewen; 12-16-2009 at 03:02 PM.
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #60
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I recently bought 2 ePubs from Books on Board - newly published so I'd pre-ordered them. The formatting was appalling (huge margins, no justification etc) so I complained. BoB refunded my money but said they thought it was because the formatting of the Adobe pre-dated the Sony firmware update. I'm not a techie but that seemed odd.........
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote