Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #16
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It really is about the format horse race for me right now and it seems Mobipocket is ahead. That makes the Cybook a good choice to me. The dictionary look up is nifty, too. Not quite as nice as if it had full text search but still nifty. Now if I could read the DRM-laden PDFs from my public library on a Sony that would put it in a more competitive spot with me. (My library offers both Mobi and PDF but more PDF. ) It's a lower price, it's gorgeous and I could have it NOW.

Of course if Amazon's ebooks tie you to the Kindle then I have to rethink the whole thing. I do wish we had more information on it. Makes me wonder what's up with the project since I can't believe they didn't want this thing out in time for Christmas.
Agreed about all. Don't forget the iLiad, it does Mobi too. If my memory serves me right Amazon bought Mobi, that could mean the Kindle could do it too.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #17
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Kindle Format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
well, as a mobipocket publisher i just received an email from amazon, regarding tax information. This hints to movement on the ebook front aswell.
I don't care too much about the Kindle itself, I just hope that Amazon will announce that with the Kendle they are adopting the non-proprietary epub format for the eBooks they intend to sell. After all, Amazon is in business to sell books. If they can help jump-start a standard for eBooks that publishers and reader/device manufacturers can address, they stand to make a lot more book sales. For that matter, what difference would it make to Amazon if they sell a Sony Reader, eb1150, 3Gen, or a Kindle? Amazon still makes a profit.

Well, I can hope...
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Agreed about all. Don't forget the iLiad, it does Mobi too. If my memory serves me right Amazon bought Mobi, that could mean the Kindle could do it too.
I will be astounded if they don't use Mobi. Mostly I'm concerned that they'll force you buy their Kindle to buy their books. In my opinion, that would be a boneheaded decision, but that doesn't mean they won't do it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
If my memory serves me right Amazon bought Mobi, that could mean the Kindle could do it too.
Your memory does serve you right. I think it would be colossally stupid of them to move away from MOBI to some new proprietary format, but corporations have an astounding capacity for colossal stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Mostly I'm concerned that they'll force you buy their Kindle to buy their books. In my opinion, that would be a boneheaded decision, but that doesn't mean they won't do it.
No, sadly, it doesn't. But we can hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
... I just hope that Amazon will announce that with the Kendle they are adopting the non-proprietary epub format for the eBooks they intend to sell.
I'd love to see that too, even if it still incorporated DRM, if it was inter-compatible DRM (usable on multiple types of devices), I think that would remove a lot of the objections to DRM (and obstacles to e-books) right there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #20
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If we take what we found from the FCC documents as a baseline it would seem reasonable (as if anyone or any company was ever reasonable) that a device from Amazon would support Mobi and be able to connect directly to Amazon without a computer. Amazon could sell the books in Mobi format and provide a direct link to the machine. This would make it more like a toaster with a direct internal link to a bakery.

They can make a place for themselves by easing the process. Will the screen be better than the CyBook or Sony 505, no. What it may have is a fantastic integration with the Amazon site to purchase and delivery. That alone will move the units.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
This would make it more like a toaster with a direct internal link to a bakery.
Great metaphor! It's probably not the kind of model I'd want (unless their entire current p-book inventory becomes available for a fixed monthly fee of about US$25) but I think it would really move e-books into the mainstream.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #22
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Here's the news from CNET:

CNET's story on the Kindle
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
Here's the news from CNET:

CNET's story on the Kindle
Well, drat. I already decided to get a different device.

Now I will have to get both.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #24
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Great metaphor! It's probably not the kind of model I'd want (unless their entire current p-book inventory becomes available for a fixed monthly fee of about US$25) but I think it would really move e-books into the mainstream.
That would be fabulous though I doubt we'd see it any time soon. I'd consider a Kindle before that if the functionality was good, there was a fairly broad selection of titles and we got a bit of a discount on them over the pbook price. However, included in my baseline criteria for calling functionality good is that it would have to support a few other common formats and the ability to transfer your own books on there outside of the Kindle network. I wouldn't be too keen on that toaster if it only toasted Wonder bread.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's almost certainly going to be announce on Monday.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1195...googlenews_wsj
Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not really much new there, they seem to be touching on the CNET story, and then going off into general background stuff we've known for a while. It looks like CNET's still the only "real" source.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Not really much new there, they seem to be touching on the CNET story, and then going off into general background stuff we've known for a while. It looks like CNET's still the only "real" source.
I disagree. The sound like they have their own sources, not like they are repeating someone else's story.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist

It's certainly open to interpretation. They just don't seem to me to be saying anything new about the Kindle itself that CNET didn't report, the rest appears to be discussions of the obstacles that Amazon will face with the Kindle, and e-books in general, that's what got me thinking they haven't got anything specific themselves. But like I said, it certainly could be interpreted more than one way.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:57 AM   #29
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's almost certainly going to be announce on Monday.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1195...googlenews_wsj
Quote:
Calls to Amazon spokesmen weren't immediately returned...
And the secret remains...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #30
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Well to me this little bit is interesting because I didn't remember seeing it before...
Quote:
the device comes with a headphone jack for audiobooks, as well as an e-mail address.
That could imply web browsing. That alone is fabulous and would replace two of my computers just like that! Serious competition to the Asus EEE.

Afterthought: Considering all that vapo(u)r hardware, I'd consider that unit to be in the iPhone's price range, if not the iLiad's!

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 11-16-2007 at 08:41 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote